The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The "right to vote" for POTUS

Default The "right to vote" for POTUS

As anyone who has read Article II of our Constitution knows, there is no Constitutional right to vote in a Presidential election. However, I believe that all 50 (or is it 57?) states use some form of popular vote to select electors.
    Just a couple of questions:

Do you believe that every U.S. citizen of majority age should be guaranteed a "right to vote" in a Presidential election? Why or why not?

Should the Constitution be amended to change the way our President is elected?

I believe that not everyone should be allowed to vote in a Presidential election unless they can demonstate a basic understanding of the Federal Government and of the platforms upon which the candidates are running.
    I believe that the electoral college works just fine as designed. It's the individual states that should hold the voters to a higher standard if popular vote is the method chosen to select electors.
    Matt McKenzie

It takes as long as it takes. Sometimes longer.

"It is better to own a $50,000 dog and have an old truck and crummy equipment than to own $50,000 worth of new equipment and a crummy dog..." EdA

I think having a steady job might be a good place to start,,,or have proven to had a steady job before this mess.

I hate to see lazy ,,lying.,,,good for nothing except cashing welfare checks,,people voting for people who support their life style.

If you collect welfare you shouldn't have the right to vote.
    They should Just be thankful that all the the rest of us take care of them

Pete

How about first at least make sure they are a CITIZEN before allowing a vote?

somewhere between Boca Grande and Nova Scotia

I think you should have to prove you know and/or understand how our goberment works.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

The right to vote is not defined explicitly in the Constitution but is there implicitly in many places. The right to vote may not be limited based on race (14th amendment) or gender (19th amendment). It may not be restricted based on age if you are 18 or older (26th amendment) or based on failure to pay poll taxes or any other taxes (24th amendment). One could also argue that voting was implicit in the Declaration of Independence which stated that "Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed."

Personally, I believe that all persons that are citizens and legally adult should be able to vote without further restriction. I oppose anything that would base voting on demonstrated "competence" since the definition of "competence" would of necessity come from the consent of the governing rather than from the consent of the governed. As you think of empowering the government to make decisions about who is or is not a legitimate voter, remember that the government making those decisions may be one that you hate. BTW, consistent with my overall belief, I believe that it should also be illegal to prevent mental patients, prisoners, or convicted felons from voting. Governments have been using claims of insanity and criminality as a vehicle for denying the vote for as long as there have been elections.

I would be happy if made up or dead people did not vote.

Like they say in Chicago "vote early and vote often"

I think the current system works or should I say could work well.
    "Communism only works in Heaven, where they don't need it, and in Hell, where they already have it" Ronald Reagan

Criminals have given up their right to vote when they were convicted. As far as insanity goes if you have been deamed insane and or under care that makes you a danger to yourself or others and cannot be liable for you actions or be so disconected socially than you have no reason/right to vote.
    "Communism only works in Heaven, where they don't need it, and in Hell, where they already have it" Ronald Reagan

I dont believe in any restrictions but I would have no problem with the minimum voting age moved higher.....I know for damn sure when I was 18 I didn't put a whole lot of thought into who I voted for....knowing a lot of kids in that age range now, I don't think anything has changed.

The only time I ever thought about somehow restricitng who could vote was after I voted in the general elction this past fall. The thought of only allowing property owners to vote went through my mind. It isn't something I'd advocate but, I did think about it.

I had the feeling that in the past general election there were people who voted to "get theirs" as oppesed to voting on their beliefs and values. This may not have been true but what I saw and heard in my polling place made me feel this way. In our recent local election I didn't sense this since I was the only voter in the polling place when I voted.

I do think convicted felons have given up their right to vote.

I think, at least in Ohio, we have made it too easy to vote. there was a period of time where you could register and vote at the same time. Voting is fundamental to our government. I don't think catching someone at a Starbuck's, McDonald's, UDF, etc., and talking them in to voting is appropriate. If you don't care enough about the election to vote on election day. Or, plan far enough in advance to get an absentee ballot then you shouldn't vote.

Tom
    Tom Wall

Quote Originally Posted by dixidawg View Post
    How about first at least make sure they are a CITIZEN before allowing a vote?
    It would be nice to make sure a person was a CTITZEN before we allow them to be PRESIDENT!!

just sayin'

BTW-I am not convinced "the Obama" is not a citizen, but I am also not convinced he is.
    Last edited by road kill; 05-18-2009 at 01:57 PM.
    Stan b & Elvis