Thread: Here is What has Happened!!

Default Here is What has Happened!!

Let's start with this premise;
    40%=Die hard Democrats
    40%=Die hard Repulicans
    No matter what.
    20%=swing on given election

Yes, the old 80 / 20 rule.

In the late 70's, early 80's the 25 to 45 year olds were the swing group, often labeled the Reagan Democrats.
    Raised by people who endured the great depression and WW II.
    We were taught self reliance and independence.

Along came RR.
    He eloquently spoke to our dreams, our visions!!
    So that demographic swung his way.

As we raised our kids, living our dream, we provided for our kids in a way never done before.
    We took care of every thing.
    They wanted for nothing, I mean NOTHING!!
    It was all taken care of!!

Now, we are not 25 - 45 year olds any more.
    We are 55 - 75 year olds.

The 25 - 45 year olds now are the swing demographic.
    Along comes "the Obama" speking eloquently to the vision and dreams of this demographic.
    He promised to take care of everything !!

They bought it, because it is how they think it should be.
    They like having everything taken care of for them.
    WE raised them that way.

I know there are several splinters within each party demographic, I am talking about the same phenomenon that elected RR.

Until I see something different, I think this is what the people want.

Sickening!!
    Stan b & Elvis

I think you are right. But unfortunately, I think we've either reached or passed the point where there are more people leaching off the system, than there are people paying into it. We've already past the point where our government can ever get out of debt.

For those of us that are baby boomers, all of our lives we've been told that social security has problems, that when we retire there won't be enough money left in the system because of how numerous we are, yadda yadda. But why is this? Our population is growing exponentially. There are way more working age people now, and more being born by the truckload. Now granted the crop right after the baby boom may have been smaller, but look at the demographics now:
    There are about 40 million people aged 45-64 in the U.S. There are about 60 million people aged 18-44. Then there are another +/- 65 million aged 1 to 18. So what's the problem? Oh yeah, of those 125 million people that will be working age when I retire, probably less than half of them will actually be working. It will take a better magician than Obomo to figure out how to make that work....

And I didn't make up the statistics, you can see them for yourself on the census website. They're from 2008. Another juicy little tid bit was that in 2008 about 12 million babies born in this country. In comparison, there are about 20 million in the 0-4 age group in 2008. That is a whole lot of people being born.

hey now don't lump us all into that category. turn 22 on friday and have worked since i was 16 (legally) and since about 13 working at a race track picking up poop for extra money haha. Not all of us this age have that mentality that we must have everything given to us.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie R. View Post
    I think you are right. But unfortunately, I think we've either reached or passed the point where there are more people leaching off the system, than there are people paying into it. We've already past the point where our government can ever get out of debt.

For those of us that are baby boomers, all of our lives we've been told that social security has problems, that when we retire there won't be enough money left in the system because of how numerous we are, yadda yadda. But why is this? Our population is growing exponentially. There are way more working age people now, and more being born by the truckload. Now granted the crop right after the baby boom may have been smaller, but look at the demographics now:
    There are about 40 million people aged 45-64 in the U.S. There are about 60 million people aged 18-44. Then there are another +/- 65 million aged 1 to 18. So what's the problem? Oh yeah, of those 125 million people that will be working age when I retire, probably less than half of them will actually be working. It will take a better magician than Obomo to figure out how to make that work....

And I didn't make up the statistics, you can see them for yourself on the census website. They're from 2008. Another juicy little tid bit was that in 2008 about 12 million babies born in this country. In comparison, there are about 20 million in the 0-4 age group in 2008. That is a whole lot of people being born.
    Actually Julie, a major part of the problem has been the steady increase in the average age of the population and the growing percentage of the population that is over the age of 65. This is attributable to the combination of reduced fertility since the end of WWII and people living longer. In 1950, about 8% of the population was aged 65 or older. Today a little less than 13% are 65+ and by 2050, more than 19% are expected to be 65+. One of the few saving graces is that the immigrant population is generally younger than the resident population. Maybe if we play our cards right all those immigrants will be paying for your social security and mine.

Quote Originally Posted by eildydar View Post
    hey now don't lump us all into that category. turn 22 on friday and have worked since i was 16 (legally) and since about 13 working at a race track picking up poop for extra money haha. Not all of us this age have that mentality that we must have everything given to us.
    Did not mean to insinuate that.
    I was speaking in general terms and evidently, even Yardley can't dispute the premise!!
    Stan b & Elvis

haha yea i knew that just saying that we aren't all that way. (btw i hate most of my peers haha)

Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    Actually Julie, a major part of the problem has been the steady increase in the average age of the population and the growing percentage of the population that is over the age of 65. This is attributable to the combination of reduced fertility since the end of WWII and people living longer. In 1950, about 8% of the population was aged 65 or older. Today a little less than 13% are 65+ and by 2050, more than 19% are expected to be 65+. One of the few saving graces is that the immigrant population is generally younger than the resident population. Maybe if we play our cards right all those immigrants will be paying for your social security and mine.

You should move to California. They certainly have far more available immigrants for you to 'play your cards with'.

UB

1. 40% of all workers in L.A. County ( L.A. County has 10.2 million people)are working for cash and not paying taxes. This is because they are predominantly illegal immigrants working without a green card.

2. 95% of warrants for murder in Los Angeles are for illegal aliens.

3. 75% of people on the most wanted list in Los Angeles are illegal aliens.

4. Over 2/3 of all births in Los Angeles County are to illegal alien Mexicans on Medi-Cal, whose births were paid for by taxpayers.

5. Nearly 35% of all inmates in California detention centers are Mexican nationals here illegally.

6. Over 300,000 illegal aliens in Los Angeles County are living in garages.

7. The FBI reports half of all gang members in Los Angeles are most likely illegal aliens from south of the border.
    8. Nearly 60% of all occupants of HUD properties are illegal.

9. 21 radio stations in L. A. are Spanish speaking.

10. In L. A. County 5.1 million people speak English, 3.9 million speak Spanish.
    (There are 10.2 million people in L. A. County )

All 10 of the above are from the Los Angeles Times

Less than 2% of illegal aliens are picking our crops, but 29% are on welfare.

Over 70% of the United States' annual population growth (and over 90% of California, Florida, and New York) results from immigration.

29% of inmates in federal prisons are illegal aliens.

We are a bunch of fools for letting this continue!
    When the one you love becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure.

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    Did not mean to insinuate that.
    I was speaking in general terms and evidently, even Yardley can't dispute the premise!!
    I wasn't sure i saw a "premise" to dispute.

I turned 60 last week. I started working when I was ten and lied about my age to get a paper route. At that point I also worked in the grocery store (bagging groceries and carrying them to people's homes for tips), the Dairy Queen (for free treats), and mowing lawns. My parents bought me a bicycle when I was eight. After that I always bought my own. I started out borrowing my father's lawn mower to mow lawns, but soon bought my own instead. My father paid my undergraduate tuition at Princeton. I paid the rest and paid for my own graduate work as well as my wife's.

I eliminated allowances for my kids when they reached the age of 12, after which they were required to earn their own money for any clothes beyond basics and for any entertainment expenses. Initially their jobs were around the house and with neighbors. By 14 both had jobs in local businesses and both have worked continuously and successfully since. Both paid a substantial percentage of their own college expenses, both pay taxes at the highest tax bracket at the ages of 35 and 27, and both have active histories of charitable work (my son became a board member for the local ambulance/rescue squad at the age of 18. My daughter served on the Board of her church until recently.).

It seems that somehow both my kids and I avoided having Reagan interfere in our education, and we all voted for Obama. Does that fit your profile for leaches?

sounds like conservatives to me. do you just get bored at work and argue with us for fun?!?!? (I'm at work right now haha)

Okay, well I'm 43 and I certainly don't "swing" vote. Voted for RR when I turned 18 in '84 and have continued to vote Republican since then.

AND

I live in L.A. County, where the sales tax has just gone up to 9.25%, soon to be 9.75% on July 1--Very business UNFRIENDLY.

In CA, we have a special election today that will cost oodles of money for the legislators to find out what they already should know--that we don't like what they're doing (except for my SS George Runner-R and the few who vote conservatively, consistently). Basically, these Props will shift money from one place to another and extend our newly raised taxes. They are going to lose. The only prop. that many voted "yes" for is the one that forbids them to take raises during a financial crisis.

CA is broken. Hopefully, this message will help give most of those "reps" in our state capital the kick in the teeth they need. Unfortunately there is projected low voter turnout, even though we will be a majority today, we conservatives will be ignored or written off once again and blamed for the ruination of the state.

Goobernor Ah-nold said that if the Props don't pass, he will be forced to hand over the illegal aliens in our state prisons to the Feds. Did he honestly think that would help support his cause??
    Funny thing is, I only heard it broadcast over the radio news ONCE. Then that was dropped and he stated he would be laying off emergency workers: firemen...etc.
    Yeah, no spin by the media on THAT one.
    Last edited by Lisa S.; 05-19-2009 at 07:10 PM.
    I reside on the left coast, but my ideals are right wing.
    LQP CN Double Hunter, SH (09/12/1996-12/22/2010)
    Waterstrike's Dynamic Amazon, MH (10/18/2000-09/08/2011)