The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cooling fan for crates

Question Cooling fan for crates

I have two dog crates in the back of my pick-up. One has a 4" fan with a long cord that plugs into the 12v accessory plug in the dash board, the other is another 4" fan that runs on 2-D batteries. Neither really puts out that much air movement. A buddy of mine in the club has about a 10"-12" fan that plugs into a converter which is connected to a deep cell battery. Awesome idea, and works great, but I do not want to be hauling a battery and a converter in the back of the truck. What I would like is something similar to this, but I'd like to be able to run power directly from my truck battery. Has anybody every done this? What is needed and how was it done (I'm not too smart in the electrical field so please, be detailed!).
    Jeff Kolanski
    www.WaterfowlLabs.com

HR UH Tealwood's Bogart JH "Bogart"
    HRCH UH Moreau's 12 Gauge Bossman "Jax"

Land of Lakes Hunting Retriever Club - Minneapolis, MN
    www.llhrc.org

I've seen a car radiator fan on a dog box...

but wondered if it blew the dog against the back of the crate ...

You could probably get them at auto supply stores.

Ryobi makes a 10 inch fan that runs on the same rechargeable 9 volt battery used for their cordless tools. It is free standing, can be positioned at different angles or suspended by the handle, has two speeds and really moves air. The battery lasts five hours and recharges in just one hour. We liked this fan so much better than any others we've used and now have two. My husband takes one to agility trials and I take the other to field training. Our dogs cool down much faster using these fans.

The only place we've found them is Home Depot. The price is a bit on the high side, but well worth it.

Laurie

Search 12 volt fans on line. What your looking for is the CFM rating. Get the highest one availiable, but be sure to watch the amp rating as this will drain on the battery. I think a 60-75 cfm will be sufficient and they run around $30

Endless Breeze is the best on the market but be prepared to pay for it. I bought one 6 years ago and paid $85 back then. OF course, it's still working great and it's been abused.
    Mike Boufford

Home to:
    UH HRCH Blue Sky's Carolina Contessa (500 Point Club)
    HRCH Firestorm Black on the Inside

UH HRCH MarshQurls Thunderfoot Jake SH (660 lifetime points) 2/24/02 - 12/11/08

"The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves." George Washington 1776

I can only assume from the original post that you are using the type of fan that school bus drivers and truck drivers use for a little extra air, I this is basically what I have been using for my dog box but i found about a 10 inch fan at a truck stop that runns through the cigaret lighter outlet and it moves quite a bit of air.
    jim

For what it's worth, I bought at Walmart - in the camping area - a 12" fan that runs on 8 - "D" batteries, 2 speeds. I use velcro strips to fasten to the outside of my girls' crates but the fans do have their own "stand" feature as a part of the case. Costs around $12 per fan. Does move a lot of air on high, I usually just use the low setting. Their crates in the truck set back towards the cab and don't receive a lot of "outside" wind for cooling.

Also found pretty much the same fan at Walgreen's in with their bigger electric fans for the home for around the same price. Then I lucked out and found at Walgreen's last fall it was on sale for $5 each. Bought 2 more for backup at that price.

Also good for humans during "no power" hurricane times.
    Cheryl and her 4-legged family,

9 yr old OTCH SHR UUD Licking Run Knapps VA Black Gem UDX3 OM2 VER RE JH WC ASCA-UD, hearing dog, "Gem-E" and
    1 yr old Knapp's Virginia Librarian's Choice, future hearing dog, "Book", and

Waiting at the Rainbow Bridge:
    UUD HR Knapp's Virginia Black Jewel UDX RE SH WC FFXOG FFXOP, "Jewel-E", 5/25/1998 - 5/5/2014

Jewel-E & Gem-E aren't my whole life, they've just made my life whole! Now Book, a new "chapter" in the family story.

These 12 V fans are available at any auto parts store. They come in 8" 10" and 12" variety.
    Shown are the 10". I run them on my truck's dual batteries but they could be run from any 12V supply.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kenneth Farris

If my dog only knew what he could get..........
    HRCH South Wind Brody Jo MH

Quote Originally Posted by duckdawg27 View Post
    These 12 V fans are available at any auto parts store. They come in 8" 10" and 12" variety.
    Shown are the 10". I run them on my truck's dual batteries but they could be run from any 12V supply.
    Dude, that is a nice picture. Good lookin' dog and green heads. Oh yeah, I like the fans too, I'm doing a search for them at pep boys right now. Thanks. Jeff
    Jeff Kolanski
    www.WaterfowlLabs.com

HR UH Tealwood's Bogart JH "Bogart"
    HRCH UH Moreau's 12 Gauge Bossman "Jax"

Land of Lakes Hunting Retriever Club - Minneapolis, MN
    www.llhrc.org

Forget Pep boys if your going to use a auto cooling fan go to a junk yard and get them cheap!!!!!!
    "Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks, others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
    John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Prairie Pintail
    http://wilsonsretrievers.com/