The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Exotic lice

Exclamation Exotic lice

http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/arti...2059859302.txt

Well what the heck? Copy and pasted below.
    Last edited by 1st retriever; 05-20-2009 at 07:07 PM.
    Steph

Brittany - Border Collie/Springer Spaniel CGC
    Meka- Basset/Aussie
    Zoe's Taller N Me - Zoe Irish Wolfhound 9/04/2004 - 11/20/2013 I love you Big Girl!
    Ember Raise The Bar CGC - Corona (a fluffy)
    CH. Justa Gingersnap CGC - Ginger Shiba Inu

A good friend helps you up when you fall. A best friend pees their pants laughing and trips you again!

Cant bring up the page Steph.
    If you dont want someone to get your goat
    dont tell them where you tied it up.

A nonnative lice species that may have been a contributing factor in the death of several deer in south central South Dakota has been found on a deer in Wyoming.

The Wyoming Game and Fish Department is reporting the first case of Biovicola tibialis, an exotic louse found on deer in Europe and the Middle East, was found on an adult mule deer in the Saratoga area. The deer was killed and studied by game managers in early April. The deer had severe hair loss, skin inflammation and heavy infestation of chewing lice.
    Wyoming reports deer with same exotic lice found in Badlands deer die off
    "The wildlife having a disease is not an unknown occurrence, it happens every day," Game and Fish spokesman Bob Lanka said Tuesday. "This is different because this is a species that's not native to North America, certainly not native to Wyoming, that we found in our state."

The lice are the same species found on more than two dozen mule deer found dead in Badlands National Park after a series of blizzards pounded South Dakota in mid-March to mid-April.

Badlands ark officials said then that it was a combination of the winter storms and parasites that contributed to the deer die off.

In Wyoming, Chief Game Warden Jay Lawson said in a statement that mule deer are a "high priority species in Wyoming."

"The fact that we found this louse is disappointing and yet another blow to mule deer in Wyoming," Lawson said.

Scientists believe a foreign fallow deer brought to the United States years ago carried the exotic lice. The lice species was first identified in deer in Washington state in 2005. It has been found in about half a dozen states.

Researchers in Washington and Oregon say young deer and deer with pre-existing health conditions appear most susceptible to the foreign louse, Lanka said. The researchers in Washington say the louse does not affect humans or domestic livestock, he said.

Todd Cornish, a University of Wyoming veterinary pathologist, said Washington and Oregon report the louse has claimed "significant" numbers of fawns in those states.

"What has most people concerned is it has the potential to be a big deal, we don't know whether it will turn out to be that way or not," Cornish said. "This louse certainly has an effect on deer populations in the Northwest, in Washington and in Oregon."

Lanka said the Game and Fish Department is on the lookout for any more evidence of the louse.

In addition, the agency is asking anyone to report any wildlife that appear sick or having abnormal hair loss.

Despite the discovery, Lanka said the situation underscores the wisdom of a decision nearly 20 years by the Wyoming Game and Fish Commission to deny importation of exotic wildlife for a game farm.
    Steph

Brittany - Border Collie/Springer Spaniel CGC
    Meka- Basset/Aussie
    Zoe's Taller N Me - Zoe Irish Wolfhound 9/04/2004 - 11/20/2013 I love you Big Girl!
    Ember Raise The Bar CGC - Corona (a fluffy)
    CH. Justa Gingersnap CGC - Ginger Shiba Inu

A good friend helps you up when you fall. A best friend pees their pants laughing and trips you again!

Wow yet another thing that someone probably brought back with them from a trip or with a smuggled pet that will create havoc on the animals
    My Father,My Friend,My teacher,and now My Angel~ 04/21/1956-03/21/2011 You will always be missed. I hope to learn half of the stuff you knew.

~Blessed are those who mourn for they shall be comforted~