The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CALIF to close state parks, STUPID, STUPID, STUPID. -gdg

Default CALIF to close state parks, STUPID, STUPID, STUPID. -gdg

Heard it on the news. Our Gov has suggested that almost all CA state parks (including some state operated museums) close for a year to save money. This at the beginning of the summer tourist season!

Save money? According to a study, for every $1 the state spends to operate the state parks, they return over $2 in income. The parks and museums MAKE money for the state.

Sutter's Fort in Sacramento (an historical site and museum) is on the list for closure. I can't imagine that it costs that much to operate. It is a well attended musem which charges an entrance fee. Has some paid staff, a lot of volunteers, and it is tied into the schools with a lot of eductional programs which are staffed by volunteers. Tourist paid attendance is high in the summer.

You just can't shut off the lights and close the doors on a museum containing historical artifacts including documents. Artifacts and especially paper documents have to be maintained. An archivist has to be there to maintain the collection. You just can't close the doors, shut off the lights, and leave artifacts sit in a non-archival environment for a year.

What is he thinking?

He is not thinking. He is stupid or ill advised by stupid non-thinking advisors.

A couple years ago I recall the head of the CA Lottery threw a big expensive Christmas party for her staffers. Spent well over $100,000. for the party and for lavish gifts at the party (free Ipods for everyone, etc). I'll bet what was spent on that one-night party could have operated Sutter's Fort for over a year.

I'm mad.
    Don's girls:
    FC AFC Flyway's Ruby B. Gonia - a Carbon daughter and now a grandma (my avatar)
    AFC Flyway's Long Tall Sally - Ruby's daughter. Bred to FC AFC Nike which produced Maggie.
    Flyway's Iron Lady (Maggie) - Ruby's granddaughter. Maggie's the new puppy in the house.

Not only that but all state employee's {except for the elected officials} took a 5% pay cut. 5% and the mandatory 2 day a month furlough days. The money needs to come from some where why not the top?
    Chris~

Some things sadly make no sense.
    Steph

Brittany - Border Collie/Springer Spaniel CGC - 03/03/1999 - 12/05/2014 My everything!
    Meka- Basset/Aussie
    Zoe's Taller N Me - Zoe Irish Wolfhound 9/04/2004 - 11/20/2013 I love you Big Girl!
    Ember Raise The Bar CGC - Corona (a fluffy)
    Embers Aint Misbehavin - Flirt (Corona's mini me)

A good friend helps you up when you fall. A best friend pees their pants laughing and trips you again!

Just finished reading all the articles about it. 220 parks (and museums) would close after Labor Day. A lot of the parks are So. Calif. beaches that have visitors year 'round. There are a handful of historical museums he wants to close that get visitors (paid entrance fees) and have school programs year 'round. Closing the parks and museums will hurt the economy as for every $1 spent, the income is $2.35.

The Gov's suggestion to close 220 state parks to "save" money is lunacy.

As one park person said, you can padlock the gate and lock the restrooms, but the people would still go to the beaches and the parks. There will be no one to patrol to stop vandalism and protect the wildlife and vegetation. There will be no one to empty full garbage cans. No maintenance will set the parks back years and years -- and it will be more costly to bring them up to speed and repair them once they reopen.

Some legislator said the parks and museums are a low priority. Save money closing the parks so they don't have to cut entitlement programs and the funds going to operate prisons.

I hope the voters in his district see it differently and tell him to vote no on closing the parks and museums as they bring in tax revenue. Visitors spend money in the vicinity of parks and museums. Closing them will drastically hurt local businesses.

Gov Gray Davis was recalled because CA legislators were spending money like drunken sailors on pork projects. Gov Arnold campaigned on the promise he would cut out the pork. He couldn't, he didn't. There are entitlement programs that continue to expand which means greater costs.

Closing state parks and museums for a year isn't going to change the way CA spends money.
    Cut education? How about starting at the top with the university system, beginning with professors on the payroll that never see the inside of a classroom?

I'm getting madder.

Quote Originally Posted by helencalif View Post

He is not thinking. He is stupid or ill advised by stupid non-thinking advisors.

A couple years ago I recall the head of the CA Lottery threw a big expensive Christmas party for her staffers. Spent well over $100,000. for the party and for lavish gifts at the party (free Ipods for everyone, etc). I'll bet what was spent on that one-night party could have operated Sutter's Fort for over a year.

I'm mad.
    As we well know, they haven't been thinking for at least 10 years or we wouldn't be at this point.
    Spend, spend, spend in the good years; they never think to save any for the bad years.
    They have cut welfare and Calgrant programs as well, at least it's cuts across the board.

He is ill advised in this respect--Don't cut the programs that would FEED CA's economy.
    Last edited by Lisa S.; 05-30-2009 at 07:05 PM.
    I reside on the left coast, but my ideals are right wing.
    LQP CN Double Hunter, SH (09/12/1996-12/22/2010)
    Waterstrike's Dynamic Amazon, MH (10/18/2000-09/08/2011)

About the LOTTERY PARTY ... found some info about it.

In December 2007 over $43,000 was spent (one report said $47,000). for a big party. It was called by the lottery administrators who threw the party a "recognition celebration" to boost lottery employee morale.

Over 300 lottery employees and their guests attended the $32-plate prime rib dinner party held at the DoubleTree Hotel in Sacramento. Lavish prizes were given out -- Ipods, Nintendo Wii, and gift cards. These "prizes" were listed as "training expenses" when the tab was turned into the state controller.

At the time the party was held, the state lottery system was losing money. The lottery administrators who planned and held the party at taxpayer expense, said they did it to boost the morale of lottery employees because it was losing money.

Helen Graves

i cant believe they would close the state parks, do they know how much damage vandals will do to those parks if they are not patroled...looks like its time to do a TOTAL RECALL and TERMINATE the governator...hey Arnold why not close the border and quit letting illegals bankrupt your state

regards for So Cal resident---Go Dodger Blue
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

[QUOTE=BonMallari;451858]i cant believe they would close the state parks, do they know how much damage vandals will do to those parks if they are not patroled...looks like its time to do a TOTAL RECALL and TERMINATE the governator...hey Arnold why not close the border and quit letting illegals bankrupt your state

Now that is an interesting idea....I have heard that hospitals have closed in South Cali...because the illegals can't/won't pay their bills and of course have no insurance...not sure how true it is though...

Quote Originally Posted by 1st retriever View Post
    Some things sadly make no sense.
    I demand a 'Royality Fee' for using my picture in your avatar. (and NO, Kjrice....I'm not "brokeback" )

helencalif....do you have a link to that study, I'm not questioning the statement, I'd just be interested in having it.
    "What a difference a week makes. This week I feel like a football coach. Last week I felt like Britney Spears' choreographer."
    Coach Bob Green, Montana Tech

Quote Originally Posted by dback View Post
    I demand a 'Royality Fee' for using my picture in your avatar. (and NO, Kjrice....I'm not "brokeback" )

helencalif....do you have a link to that study, I'm not questioning the statement, I'd just be interested in having it.
    Gotta love proactive answers.
    A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.