The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

View Poll Results: How did you get into Field Trials?

Voters
112. You may not vote on this poll
  • Via Hunt Tests

81 72.32%
  • Cold Turkey

17 15.18%
  • Family Tradition

3 2.68%
  • Other

16 14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How did you get started in FT?

Default How did you get started in FT?

Wonderin' how do folks get started in Field Trials? My hunch most enter Field Trials via Hunt Tests. We'll see.
    Last edited by Losthwy; 06-05-2009 at 12:52 AM.
    What its prominence suggest, and what all science confirms is that the dog is a creature of the nose- A. Horowitz.

My parents trained, learned from Guy Burnett and a few others. I grew up throwing birds and eventually I made it to the other end of the retrieve.

I wanted a hunting dog that would retrieve in water. My German Wirehaired Pointer didn't. She loved birds just not enough to swim for them.

I got a lab from the best breeding I could find and trained it for NAHRA hunt tests. The next year I entered a qually at the local field trial. I've been facinated at how far you could train a lab ever since.

The excellence and the competition of the white coat game really do make it for me.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

One day my training partner, mentor and leader of our small training group pulled out white coats for all of us and set up a bigger test than I had ever seen before. Turned out his young hunt test lab Jet had a lot of talent and Jim's uncle Don had a young dog Ritz just starting basics, Don was Jim's inspiration. We started tayloring the test for Jet who got on the derby list in about six trials and the rest was history for Jim.

I bought a FT dog after that because I'm a competitive guy, used to race sailboats in Hawaii, and won quite a few. Also I like having the absolute proof that my dog is better based on actual placements, not some nebulous "I had the best dog in the HT that day" which is just a biased opinion. Little did I realize how hard it is to be competitive in field trials. Sailboats are much easier because it comes down to the inherent speed of the boat, your handicap, quality of sails and practice with the crew which happens to be English speaking humans, so communication is a little easier.

I have learned over the years to gain satisfation based on how hard my dog tries series by series, this is more rewarding to me than earning ribbons against a standard, though HT are still fun for dog and handler. Winning or placing in a FT is a very big rush.

John

I put HT's because from a retriever standpoint I started in HT's. Reality is I grew up in a family that ran other types of dog FT's, most notably herding dogs. My first open win came at 14 with Max......

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

My brother Clint met the late John Luther when they were both in grad school at Texas A&M. John had the NDC '63 with Mirk of Daingerfield, he became Clint's mentor and being the youngest brother I got to be kennel boy and bird thrower, and ocaissional pinch handler if he had Friday classes. John talked Clint into buying a pup out of a local female who had been bred to FC AFC Sandy of Sourdough..that pup Judge ( FC AFC Sourdough's Quickstart) went on to win his first trial at age 25 months and titled later that spring. Clint's second dog was John Rex Rascal who had two amateur wins, both times beating Judge for the top spot..Clint went away to med school in the fall of '80 and gave me my first dog, a yellow lab named Straw. I was never able to duplicate the accomplishments of my brother but still followed the retriever game while living in DFW and seeing Judy Aycock dominate the circuit. Clint returned to the FT game in 2000 after establishing his medical practice and the bug returned to bite me a couple of yrs later, but some things never change, I am still a bird thrower,one man fan club, and armchair handler and tennis shoe trainer
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

I saw in another thread some mention of Dick Wolters and Ned Spears. I don't think that the crew consisting in part of Wolters, Spears, Repka, Jagoda, Tarrant, Driskill, etc. realized what the hunt test programs they initiated would do. At this time, this poll shows 80% coming into trials via hunt tests.

This is a very cool phenomenon that was probably not originally planned. The hunt test program, originally created for the "average Joe" with a dog or two, a full time job, and limited training time, has become a pretty significant "feeder" for Field Trials.

I read on some other forums (Milner's in particular, regarding the American Gundog Program, which I personally support and feel there's room for) where HT's have become FT-lite at the Master/Finished level. Maybe this is true!

There's room in the dog game sector for FT's, HT's of many flavors, and this newest game, the AGD club. As long as these games remain healthy, the non-FT games will continue to feed a portion of the new particpants into FT's. As folks are exposed to the joy of training a dog to higher and higher levels, and as they experience the success of attaining their personal goals, FT's will offer a chance to move forward and compete.

One of my biggest dog game regrets is that of geting into a bit of a rut in my first decade. I fell into the "our game is the best" group think with some of my mentors and fellow dog gamers. Friends like Paul Young, Nate Baxter, Rick Fanella, Roy and Diane Sheppard, etc. helped open my eyes to the notion that other dog games were worth checking out.

What a revelation to learn that the FT folks were humans that loved their dogs just as much as the HT guys do! What a revelation to truly try the extremely humane and logical training flow offered in programs like that laid out by M. Lardy and others!

It just occured to me: Probably the biggest reason I chose to try training ala-Lardy and running my youngster in FT's: YOU GUYS on RTF! Thanks!

Chris

How did I get started in FT's?....I'm thinking.......stupidity. I always WAS one that liked banging my head against the wall.
    BAIT
    John Baitinger

Quote Originally Posted by Bait View Post
    How did I get started in FT's?....I'm thinking.......stupidity. I always WAS one that liked banging my head against the wall.
    BAIT
    Bait, are you a headbanger because you like the game, or because you like the breed?

Bohn loves goldens regards...

What I see from Chris's poll and this one the majority of people here currently run HT or have in the past. They dovetail together and show, in part, that Hunt Test are a conduit to Field Trials. The percentage of those who started in HT. And who currently participate in FT is surprisingly higher than I thought.
    What its prominence suggest, and what all science confirms is that the dog is a creature of the nose- A. Horowitz.