RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Vet bill

2K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  missmac 
#1 ·
Just venting...
I went to the vet in Montana and told her my dog needed her anal glands expressed.

I brought the paper work from Thomasaville. Vets comments etc.

The vet here looked in my dogs pretty pink ears and listened to her heart.

Expressed her glands and charged me $70. dollars $55. for the visit and $15. for the anal gland express.

!****##@

#4 ·
My vet just looks better all the time. Have you tried doing it yourself? I prefer not to but if my vet charged that much or I had a dog that required it on a regular basis, I'd do it myself mighty quick. Maybe because you were a first time client, some clinics do that for the first visit and the repeats aren't as much, maybe this vet just doesn't like doing anal glands? Some areas are just pricier than others and it can be a shock.

#5 ·
Let's see, you're on a road trip away from home and your dog's anal glands need expressing, surely one of the nastiest jobs in dogdom. You go to a vet, not your regular one, for your first and only trip and have to pay for the initial vet visit/consultation and $15 for a procedure that you don't want to do yourself since it's so nasty. Total charge: $75. Sounds like a bargain to me!

If I was a vet and a non-regular client I'd never see again brought in a dog to have its glands expressed I think I'd charge twice that.

#6 ·
Expressing anal glands is gross, but it's not that bad. The clinics I worked at the techs would do it unless the client specifically asked for the vet to, so no consult charge. In fact, we once had a client who always wanted one of our receptionist to express her two mastiffs whenever she brought them in for bathing. Not even sure how that started.

#10 ·
I learned how to do this when I worked at the kennel/groomer. Nasty job but is easy to do on your own. Have your vet show you how.

#11 ·
Try calling a local groomer, they usually charge a lot less than the vet, and if your dog has a bath it should include nails, anals, and ear cleaning! a real bargain when considering the vet charges. Be sure to ask, not all groomers will do anal glans.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.