The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 91

Thread: Boycott Of GM Called

  1. #61
    Senior Member Gerry Clinchy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    7,415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bill View Post
    Comes now the latest in the "Auto episodes". Enough to make you sick.

    UB
    Mr. Cole explained that to do this you would need a trunk FULL of batteries and a LNG tank as big as a car to make that happen and that there were problems related to the laws of physics that prevented them from...

    The Obama person interrupted and said (and I am quoting here) "These laws of physics? Who's rules are those, we need to change that. (Some of the others wrote down the law name so they could look it up) We have the congress and the administration. We can repeal that law, amend it, or use an executive order to get rid of that problem. That's why we are here, to fix these sort of issues".
    Please, please tell me this is one of those internet myths/jokes ... if it's not, the U.S. auto industry is essentially over.

    The only people dumber than these individuals thinking they can solve problems with none of the knowledge of the details, are those individuals who chose them for the job.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

    ​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

  2. #62
    Senior Member YardleyLabs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Yardley, PA
    Posts
    6,639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    Please, please tell me this is one of those internet myths/jokes ... if it's not, the U.S. auto industry is essentially over.

    The only people dumber than these individuals thinking they can solve problems with none of the knowledge of the details, are those individuals who chose them for the job.
    It is. See http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/physics.asp. Mr. Cole personally stated that he had never met with anyone from the Obama administration and that the story being passed around was a garbled version of a story he told about an incident with a member of Congress many years ago.

  3. #63
    Senior Member limiman12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Red Oak Iowa
    Posts
    1,495

    Default

    One problem with the wages the autoworkers make, is seen in the detroit drop out rate....

    Why go to school, graduate from highschool, pay to go to college for four years, in order to earn a lower wage than a highschool drop out? Blackstone, if you are who I think you are we can debate it in person at the next circle of wisdom, you are one of the exceptions. Most people that "get a taste" of that kind of income won't go back to school. Good wage, early retirement etc are supposed to be the BENIFIT for going to school, not the incentive to drop out. Probably off the GM topic, but pretains to the whole social issue surronding it in cluding backlash from a lot of educated individuals NOT making that much. And also a DIRECT reason Obama's idea of every american going to college will never even come close.

  4. #64
    Senior Member Gerry Clinchy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    7,415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    It is. See http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/physics.asp. Mr. Cole personally stated that he had never met with anyone from the Obama administration and that the story being passed around was a garbled version of a story he told about an incident with a member of Congress many years ago.

    Thanks, Jeff.

    Now, if a Congressman made such a comment ... we are the ones who are to blame for electing him/her!
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

    ​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

  5. #65
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by limiman12 View Post
    One problem with the wages the autoworkers make, is seen in the detroit drop out rate....

    Why go to school, graduate from highschool, pay to go to college for four years, in order to earn a lower wage than a highschool drop out? Blackstone, if you are who I think you are we can debate it in person at the next circle of wisdom, you are one of the exceptions. Most people that "get a taste" of that kind of income won't go back to school. Good wage, early retirement etc are supposed to be the BENIFIT for going to school, not the incentive to drop out. Probably off the GM topic, but pretains to the whole social issue surronding it in cluding backlash from a lot of educated individuals NOT making that much. And also a DIRECT reason Obama's idea of every american going to college will never even come close.
    I understand your point. That was essentially true in the 1960s - early 1980s. However, over the last couple of decades, U.S. auto manufacturers have not done a lot of hiring. Plants have been closed, and remaining plants have become more efficient, and able to run with fewer workers. You can't drop out of school anymore and expect to get a good paying job in an auto plant. If you drop out of high school today, you are pretty much assured a life of near minimum wage jobs. Also, if you looked at the last contact, incoming workers will start off at about $10/hour. They will never make what some of the current workers are making.

  6. #66
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by honker88 View Post
    You're putting words in my mouth again. I never said that US workers earnings should be compared with workers in other countries. I am comparing manufacturing wages within this country.
    Honker,

    I was not my intent to put words in your mouth. I based my response on what you wrote.

    Quote Originally Posted by honker88 View Post
    I am just pointing out that their wages and benefits are out of line with the rest of the manufacturing world.
    And, considering the major downward pressure on U.S. manufacturing wages is coming from manufacturing wages in other parts of the world, that is the impression I got.

    Quote Originally Posted by honker88 View Post
    It's pretty clear to me that you have some axe to grind here.
    I don’t have an axe to grind. I just don’t believe the UAW is the villain you have made them out to be. I’m not anti-union

    Quote Originally Posted by honker88 View Post
    It appears that you don't believe that capitalism works and I do, you're liberal and I'm conservative.
    First, I don’t consider myself to be a liberal or a conservative. I try to think for myself, and not subscribe to any one ideology.

    Second, I do believe capitalism works. In fact, one distinguishing feature of capitalism is that each person owns their own labor, and is therefore allowed to sell the use of it either singly or jointly to employers. Kind of sounds like what the UAW did, doesn’t it?

    Quote Originally Posted by honker88 View Post
    I'm not sure how you can continue to argue against that point, except that you choose to.
    I argue my point because I believe I’m right. However, I can’t argue by myself!
    Last edited by Blackstone; 06-23-2009 at 09:20 PM. Reason: spelling

  7. #67
    Senior Member YardleyLabs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Yardley, PA
    Posts
    6,639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    Thanks, Jeff.

    Now, if a Congressman made such a comment ... we are the ones who are to blame for electing him/her!
    No argument from me on that.

  8. #68
    Senior Member zeus3925's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    West Twin Cities Metro, MN
    Posts
    2,320

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by limiman12 View Post
    One problem with the wages the autoworkers make, is seen in the detroit drop out rate....

    Why go to school, graduate from highschool, pay to go to college for four years, in order to earn a lower wage than a highschool drop out? Blackstone, if you are who I think you are we can debate it in person at the next circle of wisdom, you are one of the exceptions. Most people that "get a taste" of that kind of income won't go back to school. Good wage, early retirement etc are supposed to be the BENIFIT for going to school, not the incentive to drop out. Probably off the GM topic, but pretains to the whole social issue surronding it in cluding backlash from a lot of educated individuals NOT making that much. And also a DIRECT reason Obama's idea of every american going to college will never even come close.
    The auto companies have demanded a high school diploma to be hired on the production line since the mid -60's. Auto wages have nothing to do with the drop out rate in Detroit. Get your facts straight before you run down people.

    Detroit has been in decline as the result of white flight, southern welfare programs, the breakdown of families, and the drug trade--besides the fate of the auto industry.
    Last edited by zeus3925; 06-23-2009 at 11:07 PM.
    Zeus

    I don't want to feed an ugly dog!

  9. #69
    Junior Member GingerBelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    NE FL, Nassau Co.
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Hello there! Any body in there? Could someone in Michigan, huh? Hello up there to you all. Could someone tell us, let's say, since 1980 through the present, what the total UAW employment has been by year? And the unemployment rate for the state each year also? Yes it seems like a lot of homework, but I'd bet someone can come close. Point being....especially GM, but all 3, have continued cutting employees, while keeping car prices going up. Heath care issue...uaw didn't create that either, its a problem for the whole country. I won't buy another new car till electric is available. I am close to building my own when I can get all the materials. Wall street, our gov, are main culprits to how high fuel prices are....1900-2004 price cents to 1.53 gallon, then 225 fall 2004 and we can remember the past couple of years. $5. Now that the econ is busting, regulators are rethinking how much we are being gouged........So I refuse to ever buy another GM vehicle.
    Glad at least they haven't taken our dogs yet! Hey,stay home, train dogs, and go to hunt tests!

  10. #70
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zeus3925 View Post
    The auto companies have demanded a high school diploma to be hired on the production line since the mid -60's. Auto wages have nothing to do with the drop out rate in Detroit. Get your facts straight before you run down people.

    Detroit has been in decline as the result of white flight, southern welfare programs, the breakdown of families, and the drug trade--besides the fate of the auto industry.
    This sounds racists. Don't get me wrong Zeus i know you didn't mean it that way at all but when you say detroit is in disaray because white people are leaving the area, looks kind of bad. Again i know you didn't mean it that way but when i first read it i was like, "what" lol

Similar Threads

  1. Well, how about judges giving gifts of being called back?
    By DEDEYE in forum RTF - Retriever Training Forum
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 04-03-2008, 10:46 AM
  2. Dogs called back to the forth series in the Q.-Other results
    By bennetts in forum Event Information
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-01-2007, 10:14 PM
  3. Chris Atkinson Called Up and Bound Overseas
    By Nimrod in forum RTF - Retriever Training Forum
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 03-09-2007, 08:40 AM
  4. I think this Open Should be called the Elite Stake GDG
    By Digger Dan in forum Event Information
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-18-2006, 01:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •