The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Newt Gringrinch the next great white republican hope for president

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    Three wives...having an affair while wife numbe two was dying of cancer....this is not my kind of conservative. Call me old fashioned....
    You must LOVE Edwards then!!

just sayin'
    Stan b & Elvis

Palin, Palin, Palin!!!
    “Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.” ~ Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    You must LOVE Edwards then!!

just sayin'
    Just sayin' what?? That I love a man who cheated on his wife? First of all, I'm not gay. Secondly, I believe marriage is a sacred union between me and my wife. I really don't give a damn who does what with anyone else.

When someone is held up in high esteem who cheated on not one, but two wives, while she was dying of cancer, then preaches "family values" to me or condemns those of others, I call a hypocrite when I see it. I don't give a hoot if they are republican, democrat, independent, or from Mars.

I am very consevative on many issues, but I've noticed that when I post anything other than straight-Limbaugh teaching, I'm called names, ridiculed, and even labeled and told I must love certain people.

You can do and say what you want, I fought for your right to do so, and I just ignore the name-calling. But I think this behavior of exclusion and ridicule demonstrates why only 21% of Americans are willing to admit they're republican. I don't anymore, because I think for myself. Even if I get ridiculed and called names. The way I see it, I served my country in uniform and pay more taxes than most, so that (and the Constitution) give the the right to think and speak independently.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Just sayin' what?? That I love a man who cheated on his wife? First of all, I'm not gay. Secondly, I believe marriage is a sacred union between me and my wife. I really don't give a damn who does what with anyone else.

When someone is held up in high esteem who cheated on not one, but two wives, while she was dying of cancer, then preaches "family values" to me or condemns those of others, I call a hypocrite when I see it. I don't give a hoot if they are republican, democrat, independent, or from Mars.

I am very consevative on many issues, but I've noticed that when I post anything other than straight-Limbaugh teaching, I'm called names, ridiculed, and even labeled and told I must love certain people.

You can do and say what you want, I fought for your right to do so, and I just ignore the name-calling. But I think this behavior of exclusion and ridicule demonstrates why only 21% of Americans are willing to admit they're republican. I don't anymore, because I think for myself. Even if I get ridiculed and called names. The way I see it, I served my country in uniform and pay more taxes than most, so that (and the Constitution) give the the right to think and speak independently.
    I don't know what the history is for you here.
    But I did not & will not call you names.
    I won't ridicule you.
    I have been through a lot in my life, 1 being watching my best friend (wife) of 33 years lose a valient battle against cancer.
    So when you criticize Newt (not my fav) for cheating when his wife was ill, I wonder your feelings toward Edwards who ran a campaign & cheated when his wife was diagnosed and he had small children.

If I have offended you in mentioning this, I apologize.

In regard to my "just sayin' " thing, it's sort of a tag line.

Peace,
    have a good one, veterans regards'

stan b & Elvis
    Stan b & Elvis

I agree with you 100%. That was a dispicible act. That's why Newt isn't a 100% slam dunk in my book. At the same time, I think Newt went on Focus on the Family with Dr. Dobson a while back and discussed this issue. I'm pretty sure on the show he said he asked God for forgiveness and on the show he repented his sins. If he's repented and asked God for forgiveness for his sins then who are we to second guess that? If my God can forgive him for that, I'm pretty sure that I am supposed to as well.

At the begining of this post I said that I'm not sure who I'd support between Newt and Palin. I respect your oppinion so I'm interested to know what you think of Palin.
    “Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.” ~ Ronald Reagan

Stan,
    Didn't mean to say YOU did those things. My apologies. There are some here that do.
    I try to mind my own business and not pass judgement, because we often don't know all the facts surrounding issues (esp ones we see/hear on tv!)

I don't like to see anyone hurt, so whether it's Newt or Edwards, its a bad situation. Like I said, I don't like to judge, but from where I can see, both men acted dishonorably. As for seeking forgiveness, that's great. That's between them, their families, and their God. You, me, or the media should give them room. However, I don't think proclaiming you're forgiven makes everything ok, and gives one the right to start judging and preaching values to others. That is hypocrisy, and I can't stand it! Newt, after self-proclaiming forgiveness, resumed attacking others' values. Edwards has kind of sulked around with his head hung low, like a scoundrel should. (there I go judging, sorry)

Honker,
    I like much of what Palin says and stands for. But again, her famiy's business isn't any of mine, until they MAKE it mine by trying to preach THEIR values on ME. Yes, I'm sure the Palins are all forgiven for their transgressions as well, and I'm truly happy for them if they've found their peace...but again, please keep their problems as well as their "do as I say, not as I do" preachings to themselves. If THEY hadn't paraded the family and their abstinence values all over national media, we wouldn't even KNOW of their issues. Most families children are relatively left alone, unless they parade in public, or do 'stupid' things making them targets.

I think she will be a legitimate candidate, but only after several years of coaching and mentoring on the national political scene. Politics at that level are much like music virtuosities. Bush (both of them), Clinton, Obama, Biden....these guys have been groomed since nearly childhood for presidential politics. Sarah just picked up the fiddle, and although she can play to a crowd in Wasilla, she needs more practice before Lincoln Center. I think even her staunchest supporters will admit she made some rookie mistakes. Sure, she was a victim of "gotcha politics", but that's what separates the wheat from the chaff. She's come a long way...look how she handled Letterman. That's what 21st century politics is about. So was 20th century, and although none of us were around, I'll bet 19th, 18th, and all the other political centuries depending more on "looking good" to the masses, rather than actually being good.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

I think she will be a legitimate candidate, but only after several years of coaching and mentoring on the national political scene. Politics at that level are much like music virtuosities. Bush (both of them), Clinton, Obama, Biden....these guys have been groomed since nearly childhood for presidential politics. Sarah just picked up the fiddle, and although she can play to a crowd in Wasilla, she needs more practice before Lincoln Center. I think even her staunchest supporters will admit she made some rookie mistakes.
    Personally, a big part of the reason I like her so much is that she is not one of the standard poloticians. She's a normal everyday American. I just hope she doesn't get too much of the coaching and mentoring that she becomes one of the standard poloticians. She does need some polishing, just not so much that she forgets where she came from and what she stands for.

Transchoptankia, DEMOCRATIC Peoples Republic of Maryland

Anybody But Osama
    Bob Gutermuth
    Canvasback Chesapeakes
    ROLL TIDE!

If the GOP runs Palin in 2012, it will give Obama a landslide victory.

Her appeal is too small. Same for Newt.

Until the Republicans put forth a candidate that appears to have a better chance of WINNING the White House, I'll stick with Romney.
    It's such a shame that in the USA, defending Liberty has become such a heroic deed.

You know Franco, I wasn't really a Romney fan during the primaries, but what I wouldn't give to have him in the driver's seat right now! I suspect there are a lot of other folks out there who feel the same way. When the economy is in the toilet, I'd sure like to have a guy who has successfully run a business and been the Governor of a state making the decisions. But hey, what does he know about hope and change?
    As far as the personal lives of candidates, I believe that how someone manages their family relationships and the decisions they have made in the past reveals much about their character and should be considered, but we usually go way too far and make too big of a deal about whether or not someone smoked pot in college or had an affair 30 years ago.
    I behave and believe very differently today than I did in my teens and twenties. Does that make me a hypocrite? If I drank excessively and experimented with drugs in college, am I forever disqualified to hold office? What if I believe strongly in family values (whatever that means) but I have a kid that has a child out of wedlock, or has a drug addiction, or is in prison?
    My point is that I want to know where a candidate stands on the issues that are important to me and that I feel affect this country the most. Everything else may be relevant, but is secondary. One man's opinion.
    Matt McKenzie

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it." Henry Ford