The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Puppy question: Should I be concerned?

Default Puppy question: Should I be concerned?

I have a ten and a half week old lab. I am new to dog training, so i bought a couple book and read them. But they do not have much info on puppy training. I have started treat training with sit, kennel, heal, come, and down all is going very well with that, but my pup is not very enthusiastic about retrieving. I know he is young, but i keep the retrieves to 1-3 at a time. Sometimes he will do well for the 2-3 throws, so i put the bumper up. Other times on the first throw he will plop down and start chewing on the bumper and when i call him he comes but leaves the bumper. So i put it up. I have tried paint rollers and puppy bumpers. He loves wings and i just introduced him to birds and he was very enthusiastic about them. Should i be concerned? Should i only play fetch with him one time a day for now? Does anybody have any recomendations?
    Last edited by carte1be; 06-11-2009 at 10:18 AM.

Let the puppy be a puppy and bond to you and your family. Keep it fun for now.
    Huntsman Tollers
    Matt & Julie Martin

Transchoptankia, DEMOCRATIC Peoples Republic of Maryland

Don't sweat it. Little pups have a very short attention span and can be easily distracted. The most important thing is that the pup learn how to learn at his age.
    Bob Gutermuth
    Canvasback Chesapeakes
    ROLL TIDE!

Sounds like a normal puppy to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Latisha View Post
    Sounds like a normal puppy to me.
    Me too. You can also throw a favorite toy instead of a bumper if you are worried about retrieving, but less is better than more. Make him want the next retrieve or end on a positive note.
    Nancy P

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

throw a rolled up sock down a hallway
    get really excited for him to come back
    stop after 2 or 3 times
    One of the best feelings in the world is watching your hunting buddy bring back a duck you shot with her tail wagging.

Dont worry. My first dog wouldnt retrieve a steak until 6 months old. I was so discouraged that one day I threw a brand new bumper as far in to the river as I could out of total disgust. But my total irate tempertantrum was interupted by my dog hitting the water like a freight train. From that day on take out our play bumpers and he will mow objects down trying to get to it.
    Dont give up. It will come. Just let him be a puppy and drive your house hold nuts for now.
    Running a yellow dog is like bowling...its never a good idea to turn your back until your ball is back at your side. You never know just how much spin you will have!

You have been giving very good info from these guys. Like they said, keep it as FUN as possible. I too just began my journey in the sport and now my 6mth old is with her pro. They told me, its like having a young child that you have big plans for and want them to be good at baseball (for example) Some of the excersises are not so fun for a kid, so you have to make them that way and SHOW them how to enjoy and love the sport. I had a prblem with getting easily irritated. Stay consistent, PATIENT, and simple for now. Also make sure you are doing the right things, because the critical time is approaching and mine developed a few bad habits from my lack of knowledge. Good luck and enjoy! "They grow up fast"
    GEAUX TIGERS
    LSU!!!

O. And to answer your question. NO, you should not be concerned right now. He/she is still adapting to you and being away from moma
    GEAUX TIGERS
    LSU!!!

Do yourself a favor,,,,Get the "Sound Beginnings" or "Smartwork Puppy" cd.
    Both are very good.