The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reread the sticky " cooling back" above

Default Reread the sticky " cooling back" above

If you haven't read it read it and if you have reread it (is that a word ?) Today was our first day with any Humidity and I have a hard going 3 year old that went down today on a triple with a blind, not a huge setup but enough, pretty scary. Thanks to this site and the above sticky I knew enough to do some of the right things according to my vet. Dog went down at 6:45 walking back to the truck after picking up last bird, I had 2 gallons of cold water that I poured over him and then got him in the truck with the A/C on high by 7:45 his temp was down to 100.4 . Vet figured by getting him into the truck with A/C prevented him from going into "Heat Stroke".....

Only thing I may have done wrong was giving him to much water to drink when he was panting heavly. Dog could possibly bloat.

The biggest point would be know the signs, know when to call it quits. Happy ending but could have been worse.

Just a Reminder

Todd

Todd, sorry to here that Briggs got that hot but i am glad that every thing turned out alright. had my dog when i was 14 get heat stroke pheasant hunting after school it is a scary thing to watch your dog go down that one turned out alright too but allot of them don't.
    Duane
    ps hope to see you at the CMRC trial in July
    MAGGIES CADILLAC JACK (RIP)
    JAZ
    ACES BLACKWATER EXPRESS

http://www.canvasworksincmn.com

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Caswell View Post
    If you haven't read it read it and if you have reread it (is that a word ?) Today was our first day with any Humidity and I have a hard going 3 year old that went down today on a triple with a blind, not a huge setup but enough, pretty scary. Thanks to this site and the above sticky I knew enough to do some of the right things according to my vet. Dog went down at 6:45 walking back to the truck after picking up last bird, I had 2 gallons of cold water that I poured over him and then got him in the truck with the A/C on high by 7:45 his temp was down to 100.4 . Vet figured by getting him into the truck with A/C prevented him from going into "Heat Stroke".....

Only thing I may have done wrong was giving him to much water to drink when he was panting heavly. Dog could possibly bloat.

The biggest point would be know the signs, know when to call it quits. Happy ending but could have been worse.

Just a Reminder

Todd
    Glad things turned out OK.

Worth noting, if it can happen in Minnesota, it can happen anywhere. What was the ambient temperature when this happened?
    Jeff Telander
    Durham, NC

FC AFC CT Broad Reach Devil Made Me Doit CD "Sinner"

Forever in my heart
    OTCh Broad Reach Diesel TD MH UDX2***
    CH Broad Reach Gripper UD MH
    OTCh R Labs Darth Wader TD JH
    OTCh Teracroft Topaz TD JH

Good reason to wet the dog down before training. During hot/humid weather, I try and train close to water.

At home I have a horse trough right beside the kennel for just such a purpose. Before and during a session they go to the trough.

When away from home, I don't train if there isn't water nearby.
    Train the dog, the ribbons will take care of themselves.

I wonder if dogs are like people when they get hit by heatstroke. I had it bad once when I ran a construction company. Putting a lid on a house we were building, had shivers all night and throwing up. Now I seem to be more prevelant to problems with heat and direct sunlight.

I have a small female that seems to be the same way.
    Never take things for granted.

Scott....it's been my experience that dogs exhibit the same symptoms you did, especially the vomiting.

Interesting, I have the same issue with cold weather after sustaining pretty severe frostbite and exposure(hypothermia) while in the army. I don't take the the cold near as well. In fact I get downright uncomfortable and the shivering is hard to stop.
    Train the dog, the ribbons will take care of themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Caswell View Post

Just a Reminder

Todd
    What was your high yesterday like 82? Did you take the dog's temp right away or just when it was 100.4(normal for a dog)? I just don't understand how a dog goes down from heat at 80 degrees running a triple? Trained in 98 degrees and 65 % humidity yesterday and had no problems.
    "The thing I admire about the rat tail is that it takes commitment. It's not like one day you just decide you want one, you have to grow out that bad boy and you have to repeatedly convince the hairdresser to trust you because it's a great idea."

Quote Originally Posted by achiro View Post
    What was your high yesterday like 82? Did you take the dog's temp right away or just when it was 100.4(normal for a dog)? I just don't understand how a dog goes down from heat at 80 degrees running a triple? Trained in 98 degrees and 65 % humidity yesterday and had no problems.
    I would guess that your (our) dogs are already acclimated and have shed their winter coats, a dog from Minnesota probably has not shed winter hair and has not had much exposure to 80 F

I think dogs become conditioned to heat much like people do, I ran regularly for about 10 years, 5 miles per day, midday year round, by mid summer I was superbly conditioned to heat

Some dogs are just inherently more heat tolerant than others, I have had both kinds, I have always theorized that the larger the diameter of the airway the more heat tolerant the dog is, however I have no scientific support for my theory but if anyone would like to fund the study I think I could get it done.
    Last edited by EdA; 06-16-2009 at 03:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TXduckdog View Post
    Good reason to wet the dog down before training. During hot/humid weather, I try and train close to water.

At home I have a horse trough right beside the kennel for just such a purpose. Before and during a session they go to the trough.

When away from home, I don't train if there isn't water nearby.
    Wetting the dog down before doing land work in hot humid weather is subject to some contriversy. However, it might work for you.
    Tom Dorroh

Are they more susceptable to heat if they had a heat stroke attack, like a human is?
    Never take things for granted.