The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CBO estimates Senate healthcare to cost $1.6 TRILLION

Transchoptankia, DEMOCRATIC Peoples Republic of Maryland

Default CBO estimates Senate healthcare to cost $1.6 TRILLION

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009...-hit-trillion/

America cannot afford socialized medicine.
    Bob Gutermuth
    Canvasback Chesapeakes
    ROLL TIDE!

We don't have the money and I doubt the ChiComs will lend it to us. The country is bankrupt. I know, I know....how 'bout the democrats tax the crap out of us to pay for their healthcare scheme.

And even if we did have the money it's not the job of government to 'provide' healthcare for all.

We live in Cuba now.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    We don't have the money and I doubt the ChiComs will lend it to us. The country is bankrupt. I know, I know....how 'bout the democrats tax the crap out of us to pay for their healthcare scheme.

And even if we did have the money it's not the job of government to 'provide' healthcare for all.

We live in Cuba now.

Well you must only be talking about taxing 5% of the people........right? I meant tax cuts or no new taxes for 95% of us.

I don't really understand all of this, but I read somewhere that this actually only covers about 1/3 of the population. Is that correct? If so the real cost for healthcare would be more like 3 trillion. My understanding is that 37 MILLION people would still be uninsured and there are now 50 million that currently. My math reads that as 1 + TRILLION to cover 13 million people. That can't really be what I am reading is it?
    Last edited by badbullgator; 06-17-2009 at 09:53 AM.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

what about those of us that just don't care about healthcare. I being fresh out of college haven't been to the hospital in probably 6 years since i had to have stiches that really i couldve done without lol. I don't really feel the need to purchase something i will not use. If i do get hurt it will be from a car accident and i have car insurance. I'm sure that out of the 46 million out there that don't have insurance a big chunk don't really even care.

Keep in mind that all of those millions of people CAN get treatment at pretty much any ER if they are really in need. So while it is true they do not have insurance they do already have access to healthcare in some form. Need a wart removed your out of luck, but have a heart attack, accident, flu....most anything else and you CAN get treatment
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Quote Originally Posted by eildydar View Post
    what about those of us that just don't care about healthcare. I being fresh out of college haven't been to the hospital in probably 6 years since i had to have stiches that really i couldve done without lol. I don't really feel the need to purchase something i will not use. If i do get hurt it will be from a car accident and i have car insurance. I'm sure that out of the 46 million out there that don't have insurance a big chunk don't really even care.
    Don't worry, your turn will come.

For 25 years I paid every month for health insurance and never filed a claim. My only costs were for child birth and, when my children were born, child birth was not considered to be an insurable event. In my 40's I was finally diagnosed with allergy induced asthma only after five bouts with pneumonia and the loss of 55% of my lung functionality: cost of drugs (not initially covered by insurance), $12000/year. In my 50's time added prostate problems: one surgical procedure and two set of biopsies -- $25,000+. To add insult to injury, at the age of 56, I had a minor stroke. No real damabe, but a hospital bill of $50,000. Right now I'm avoiding doctors who want to do another prostate procedure and to replace both of my knees, which I have never recovered fully from dislocations and repeated sports abuse during my teens.

The problem with medical costs is that they occur eventually no matter what, sometimes sooner and sometimes later. When they do happen, the cost can be dramatic. My mother had a stroke at the age of 44. Before her death at the age of 70, her accumulated medical bills had exceeded $1 million with an insurance policy with a life time limit of $500k. My father managed to avoid almost all medical expenses until he was 65. At that point he had seven heart by-passes, surgery for rectal cancer, and surgery for colon cancer. Stangely, though, the most severe problem arose when he aspirated vomit following minor surgery to correct a hernia. That resulted in a 10 day stay in the ICU and $250,000 in medical bills ($50,000 for miscellaneous expenses).

Of the 37 mil left out - 10 mil are illegals - & 16 mil are like ellydar, they don't want to pay for it so will go uninsured. You have to where these wacko's come up with these poor ideas. I know, their heart's in the right place with our money.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Quote Originally Posted by badbullgator View Post
    Keep in mind that all of those millions of people CAN get treatment at pretty much any ER if they are really in need. So while it is true they do not have insurance they do already have access to healthcare in some form. Need a wart removed your out of luck, but have a heart attack, accident, flu....most anything else and you CAN get treatment
    Unfortunately, that means that the ERs are stuck providing that care but not receiving payment. In addition, it results in a mix of too much consumption -- expensive ER resources being used to treat minor problems -- and too little consumption -- people showing up for treatment of pneumonia on an emergency basis when treatment of their flu a few weeks sooner would have avoided the emergency.

Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    Unfortunately, that means that the ERs are stuck providing that care but not receiving payment. In addition, it results in a mix of too much consumption -- expensive ER resources being used to treat minor problems -- and too little consumption -- people showing up for treatment of pneumonia on an emergency basis when treatment of their flu a few weeks sooner would have avoided the emergency.
    I don't disagree with you. Just pointing out that you CAN access healthcare even if you have no money. All to often the sell is that there is no access to it for the poor or uninsured. I didn't mean to suggest that the ER is a fitting solution for the problem. I do not believe, however, that the current plan will change much of anything and will only cost us waaaaaaaaaaaaay more money that we as a nation do not have. Hard to believe but healthcare is not a right and not something that I need to pay for others to have.
    Corey Burke

Quote Originally Posted by eildydar View Post
    Than if you have a job you will be really impressed at the taxes you will be paying when the gooberment swings into action.

BTW I keep doing research and can not find any place in the constitution that guarantees medical coverage for all.
    "Communism only works in Heaven, where they don't need it, and in Hell, where they already have it" Ronald Reagan