The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 13 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Fossil discovery...

DNF777 you haven't posted anything that would change anyones mind on evolution. Your faith in science must be strong to believe a worm could change into a elephant over a period of time. I don't have a problem with adaptation but evolution is way out there. A dog will always be a dog, A bird will always be a bird and A human will always be a human(until we are called up in the clouds).

Here is something to think about if you are a gambling man. We have a 100% chance of being right because if you are right then we just go back to the ground and it's over so I'm still not losing. You only have a 50% change of being right because if you are wrong then you'll know all the answers if we are right when that time comes.

Quote Originally Posted by kimsmith View Post
    DNF777 you haven't posted anything that would change anyones mind on evolution. Your faith in science must be strong to believe a worm could change into a elephant over a period of time. I don't have a problem with adaptation but evolution is way out there. A dog will always be a dog, A bird will always be a bird and A human will always be a human(until we are called up in the clouds).

Here is something to think about if you are a gambling man. We have a 100% chance of being right because if you are right then we just go back to the ground and it's over so I'm still not losing. You only have a 50% change of being right because if you are wrong then you'll know all the answers if we are right when that time comes.
    I've enjoyed this thread. I've learned a little on both sides.

Kim, could you spell this out more clearly? I don't know what you are trying to say.

Again, and no offense intended, but those comments show a preconceived misperception of what evolution is. My faith in God is strong also, and I believe he gave me (us) inquiring minds and the intellect to seek answers and try to make this a better world. Some choose not to use it, and accept Biblical explanations, so long as they're convenient, and not disprovable. (flat earth, geocentric universe, etc...)

I am not a gambling man. I work too hard, for too little. Besides, you completely lost me on that last paragraph! What I believe happens to us after death has nothing to do with science, as far as I know.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

You appear to be using what I think of as the insurance policy answer to questions of God's existence. Believe in God because if he exists and you don't believe, you go to hell, but if he does not exist you lose nothing either way. I hate to even contemplate the theological nature of a religion that would support such a lame argument. Fortunately, I don't think any do.

Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    For what it's worth, mathematically the odds against the birth of any one of us are so great that our existence is impossible. That's why nature sends out millions of sperm to latch on to a single egg. Nature succeeds if any one of them manages to fertilize the egg. The fact that the egg became you, against all odds, is literally the luck of the draw. Evolution works much the same way. It doesn't aim for a target, it simply seeks to survive. The accumulated weight of those survivals dictates the path of evolution.

Apples to Oranges. God created the reproductive system, apparently you call god "nature." The odds of reproduction are actually quite good. Without birth control every single person, short of those who are injured would reproduce with regular sexual intercourse. Millions of sperm and all it takes is one getting to the egg. The odds of pregnancy are pretty good.

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Quote Originally Posted by cotts135 View Post
    Posted by Gundog 2002

This meeting that you quote I believe took place in 1981. Obviously since then there have been many discoveries and findings that still support Evolution. With regards to the above quote I think that if you Google Archaeopteryx it will seriously undermine the main premise of that statement.
    And yet you can't find one example that proves evolution. Supporting a theory is not proof.

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

No insurance policy but if we believe in Evolution then our faith in God and faith in Creation is useless. God said he created the earth in 7 days, he created the earth in 7 days. When he said every creature after his own kind, he meant every creature after his own kind. I can't understand why this is so hard to believe. Just like you can't understand why we don't believe in Evolution. It takes more faith to believe your way than our way. Sorry, if I confused you on the gambling thing but I'm not going to gamble with my faith and it seems the evolution belief is a big gamble.
    Last edited by kimsmith; 06-30-2009 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun_Dog2002 View Post
    Apples to Oranges. God created the reproductive system, apparently you call god "nature." The odds of reproduction are actually quite good. Without birth control every single person, short of those who are injured would reproduce with regular sexual intercourse. Millions of sperm and all it takes is one getting to the egg. The odds of pregnancy are pretty good.

/Paul
    I didn't say the odds of reproduction, I said the odds of creating any specific individual -- that is, what are the odds of creating a being with exactly your genetic makeup? As small as they are, it happened. So did evolution. You are looking at a specific result and saying that it is mathematically impossible. Evolution didn't care about the specific result, only survival. That we, as a species and as individuals are the product, is simply a matter of chance. Is there a deity that had a hand in shaping that chance? I personally do not believe so, but I also don't care. The existence of a deity doesn't increase or decrease my wonder at the miracle of life, nor change my view of morality. I do not believe in a deity that cares whether or not it is worshiped. Does an artist ask the painting to give prayers of thanks?

No insurance policy but if we believe in Evolution then our faith in God and faith in Creation is useless.
    I beg to differ. Maybe some just have a deeper understanding of how God worked his miracles and choose to seek that out....while others believe the "easier faith" of how man passed down the stories for thousands of years.

I believe evolution occurs because it is all around us, just in a time scale that many people can't comprehend. THAT, I believe is the true miracles of God. And to say MY faith in God is useless is kind of insulting, don't you think?

When did you give up the flat earth notion? The church hanged people for arguing the earth was round. What happened that made devout religious types accept that little tid-bit of scientific discovery? It plays out each time science unravels another mystery. Science is not some evil being, that is anti-God. It is a process of trying to understand the ways in which God works, if you will. That's my take. There are roughly 599,999,999,999 other opinions, and I'm not sure any of them have the right to say the others are "useless".
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by Gun_Dog2002 View Post
    And yet you can't find one example that proves evolution. Supporting a theory is not proof.

/Paul
    What was quoted in your previous post was that there were no transitional fossils and that there never will be. . I then provided an example that I believe disproves that statement.
    Technically you are right when you say "supporting a theory is not proof "however I think you have a misunderstanding of what a theory is when taken in a scientific text. Maybe this will help .
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory

One other thing, where is your proof? Criticizing the methods of scientists does not prove your belief.