The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Fossil discovery...

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    Like several have pointed out, there is fossil evidence that supports evolution as a viable theory. Some things, that occur over millions of years cannot be proven to the same standards as a baking soda volcano at a science fair! I've never actually touched the sun, so I guess it's only a theory that its hot. Good enough for me! The endless loop we get into, is that any scientific evidence in support of evolution is arbitrarily dismissed as bogus because "God said so" or there's a Biblical quote that contradicts it. I cannot argue with that, except maybe to say that God sent the Angel Moroni, Jesus Christ, and Mohammed and they all told me this afternoon while I was down at the barn, that evolution really occurred....end of argument. Nobody can argue with God's own prophets, right? He even sent all three major players, because he wasn't sure which testament I subscribe to. So there you have it.
    Actually the fossil record does not prove evolution. It is used to support a theory, one that cannot be proved. Lets keep it in perspective shall we...

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

So just because you said your theory is right, we should believe you. When we say our theory is right then we are dumb southerners. Wow sounds like the only possibility is what you have to say. I thought only Christians were like that. How does fossil prove anything, but they died at one time or another. They have found fossil of humans that are 14 feet tall, fossil of salamanders 8 feet long so what does that prove. I have a theory that people and animals were larger before the flood, some biblical, some scientific. People also lived longer so something had to be different about our atmosphere. Now that is a Theory but can't be proving no more than your theory that we come from worms and apes.

not people. Neanderthals

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    I have a big problem with some of the things that ALL religions have done in the "name of God". Christians, Jews, Muslims...you name it, have all committed horrible acts of violence against other religious groups in the name of their God. I believe in God, and people's right to worship however they want...but when they band together, for political, power, and business related objectives, and start trying to impose their way of worshipping on others, you're right. I do have a problem with that, whether it's Christianity or any other religious sect.

I've heard countless numbers of muslim clerics and heads of muslim-American organizations on the news talk shows after 9-11 saying exactly what you said about Christians. Denying that any true muslim would do such a thing. And now you say Islam teaches just that. (I happen to agree with you, but there are many peaceful, law-abiding Muslims who would argue strongly and cite the Qu'oran in favor of their point.)

And even if you don't agree with what that murdered did, as I'm sure most Christians don't, there's no denying he did what he did in the name of HIS God, and what he thought was God's will. He didn't concoct that up in his mind all by himself. That was a religious-motivated killing. And that's what I have a problem with, whether its one person with different views, or entire settlements or crusades against nations. I don't think that's what God wanted, but who am I to say?
    (Yawn) Who is this "they" besides strawmen concocted by people who hold a grudge against organized religion.
    Why doesn't glue stick to the inside of the bottle?

Quote Originally Posted by kimsmith View Post
    So just because you said your theory is right, we should believe you. When we say our theory is right then we are dumb southerners. Wow sounds like the only possibility is what you have to say. I thought only Christians were like that. How does fossil prove anything, but they died at one time or another. They have found fossil of humans that are 14 feet tall, fossil of salamanders 8 feet long so what does that prove. I have a theory that people and animals were larger before the flood, some biblical, some scientific. People also lived longer so something had to be different about our atmosphere. Now that is a Theory but can't be proving no more than your theory that we come from worms and apes.
    First of all, I grew up in Texas, and never called anyone a dumb southerner. There are dumb people everywhere. I believe in civil debate!

I am not a professor of anything, so I would refer anyone who wants an academic discourse of the theory of evolution to pick up any biology book from an accredited university, watch the Discovery Channel if you don't like reading, or pick up just about any copy of National Geographic. Nat Geo is one of my favorite reads. Covers religion, culture, geology, evolution, all in one nice, non-political forum. (may 2009 has a wonderful article on a 40,000 year old baby mammoth that is one of the best preserved specimens from that era.)

And yes, according to many arguments on this list, if God says something, then it is true. Or, if someone wrote something down, and claimed that it was inspired by God, then we must believe it, regardless of what the natural world around us reveals.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

The biggest obsticle Conservative Politics has to overcome are statements like this. If anyone has ever wondered why the Liberals have been winning, why southerners are consider dumb and we have Obama as our President, here it is folks.
    Sorry that was Franco that said that. I guess the history books are wrong about Jesus also. I guess history books are wrong about the many wonders he did.
    an academic discourse of the theory of evolution
    We don't have to read a college biology book to get this information about the theory of evolution. It is taught to our young kids every day. Thank God for Christian parents who still teach their kids that it's a theory and we know that God Created us.
    You didn't answer my question earlier, what were we before we become man, an ape, a worm or some unknown creature. I'll post a picture of my 100th great grand dad.

Now I'm gald you feel we come from something like this, man you might be right I've seen some pretty ugly people. Mostly every day I look in a mirror......

My disjointed manifesto on this thread...

- It bugs me to see religion portrayed as the root of evil and discord when in the last one hundred of the bloodiest years on this planet the vast majority of the killing has been perpetrated by atheists and the irreligious (Stalin, Mao, Hitler, Pol Pot, etc.)

- Religion is very personal and heartfelt to the individual believers. It is as important and unexplainable as one's love for his family. Nobody would dare call someone's wife a whore and their kids stupid, but some of the anti-religion folks have no problem attacking the religious or characterizing them as dim bulbs robots who can't think for themselves. There are a lot of damn smart people who are devout followers. On the flip side, it is galling to see someone characterize their own denomination as being the right one and everyone else as being pagans on a one-way trip to hell.

- Some people's hostility and disdain for religion leads them to blindly make claims against religion that aren't true (like the Catholic Church not coming out against abortion until the 1970's or that there was some concerted effort on the part of organized religion to deny the roundness of the Earth). Hate on religion if you want, but at least know what you're talking about when you do it.

- This country is not a Christian nation in the sense that it is our official religion. But the country and its laws were certainly founded upon Judeo-Christian ethics by men who were indeed, by-and-large Christians (with some Deist exceptions, of course). Anyone who denies this has declared jihad on history.

- Neither the conservative movement nor the GOP are controlled or run by evangelical Christians. That is an element of the party, sure. But since when is it shameful to stand up for values that are good for individuals, good for the community and good for the country even when the individual messenger of those values might be imperfect? What, I shouldn't even bother to try to teach my children that they shouldn't drink to excess, lie, cheat or steal, do drugs, etc. because I've done those things myself? What kind of absurd claptrap is that? I'm not religious in the least, and I'm surely not ashamed of the evangelical community's involvement in the movement/party. And I've never been made to feel uncomfortable by them.
    I'll take the river down to still water and ride a pack of dogs.

I'll post a picture of my 100th great grand dad.

Now I'm gald you feel we come from something like this, man you might be right I've seen some pretty ugly people. Mostly every day I look in a mirror......
    That's funny!

Now, is your uncle in that picture from your mother or father's side of the family?

Learned a long time ago that no one on internet boards ever has thier mind changed. We believe what we believe and those beliefs are founded on what we want to learn in life.

For instance, over on the ESPN College Football boards, some fool actually thinks Alabama is going to win the SEC this coming season!
    It's time we abandon our party affiliations and rather than being good Dems or good Repubs we all become good Americans. MJH345

I would like to say something about about the guy on ESPN, but I don't think TN going to get in their way. Your right no ones going to change their mind but we have to try and let people know the truth.

Here in TN my uncle would be on both sides of the family.

Here in TN my uncle would be on both sides of the family.
    Laughing, to hard to type.

Tn should be back in 2010 along with LSU. I'm thinking the SEC will be between Florida and Ole Miss.
    It's time we abandon our party affiliations and rather than being good Dems or good Repubs we all become good Americans. MJH345