The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pipe with a rope thingy

Default Pipe with a rope thingy

Been years since I did yard work with my now oldest Lab, but I remember using a black steel pipe and check cord run through it to gain leverage and aid in heeling/positioning. Worked well. Dang it if I can figure out where I learned it or what to do now. Any clues? I searched and searched this site to no avail.

Sounds like the snare the dog catcher uses...IMHO not the most humane method for teaching obedience. May I suggest you all pick up a Smartworks dvd or book by Evan Graham, you'll be surprised what a little praise and kindness will get done now a days..
    Last edited by Purpledawg; 06-19-2009 at 11:52 PM. Reason: pause 2 reflect

I had one of those--I now have one that I put a clip on the end of a piece of pvc--does and you clip it on collar for control. It works great and really does not hurt the dog any more than attaching a leash.
    Peg

I think it was Tarant that advocated the pipe and lead for the extra leverage it gave you over the dog. If not Tarant then one of the other dog writers of his era.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Lunsford View Post
    I don't think I read anything about him beating the dog with the pipe. And as far as kindness goes, did you actually do FF? That is not kindness, but it is a heck of a training tool to have under your dog's belt to make his life easier down the road.

My apologies to all for taking the visual imprint in my mind and allowing it bias my response. vast attempts of capturing strays.

Its a tool that does give handler the upper hand in most situations.

It simply gave me more leverage, very humane. Now using it on my wife is another story...

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    I think it was Tarant that advocated the pipe and lead for the extra leverage it gave you over the dog. If not Tarant then one of the other dog writers of his era.
    Yes, it was Tarant. He called it a powerbar.

Mike Gould illustrates and explains the use of what he calls "The Power Obedience Bar" or "Power Bar" in chapter 10, his formal obedience chapter, of his book "The Labrador Shooting Dog."
    subroc

Article [I.]
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    Article [II.]
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Some pointing dog folks have long used essentially the same tool only called a "Buddy bar" after Buddy someone who popularized, if not invented, it.
    If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.

(And to see just how confused I really am, join us in my online blind at: Rick's 2014-2015 season log)

Subrock is right. It was a Mike Gould invention, and described by Tarrant. I WILL use one with my next dog, whenever that is! And you all know what a softie I am
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com