The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Speed up or Slow down???

Default Speed up or Slow down???

After talking with my pro he wanted to discuss a possible decision we may have to make in about 1 1/2 mths. He was explaining to me how you can continue with casting and so forth or some will opt to focus on steadiness. Now i may not be explaining this in exact "pro" terms but this was basically what he was talking about and i'm sure you guys will understand. He said he usually likes to continue staright foward and keep going goin going and then when that is mastered return to steadiness because it is easier to slow them down rather than speed them up. But he said he asked me becuase some people want a "steady" dog early on so... I am wanting to do a little huinting with her this coming season... she will be 1yr dec. 15 and will have been with him for 5 1/2 mths by then. what do you guys think
    GEAUX TIGERS
    LSU!!!

This is a 6 month old puppy?
    Jeff Telander
    Durham, NC

FC AFC CT Broad Reach Devil Made Me Doit CD "Sinner"

Forever in my heart
    OTCh Broad Reach Diesel TD MH UDX2***
    CH Broad Reach Gripper UD MH
    OTCh R Labs Darth Wader TD JH
    OTCh Teracroft Topaz TD JH

Talking

shouldn't be a lot of 'casting' with a pup that young anyway,basic obediance,ff,cc and yes steady drills as the dog sees more marks,got to lay the foundation before you can put on the roof.The basics must be solid before you go onto transistion,then again what do i know i only train 'em for a living

I may have not stated correctly what he was explaining to or i am just not as educated on the topic. He was saying that in the next 2-3mths that with some dogs the owner/trainer makes a decision to (after OB, FF, and the fundamentals are solid) to not stress steadiness so so much and really focus on letting the dog GO GO. I am guessing to keep the drive while teaching new things? But he said some will say no, i want to focus on steadiness steadiness steadiness - i want them rock solid at this age. Not saying she wont be very steady, but he may not stress it as much. Building drive while continuing teaching new things i suppose. He just explained in his experience it was easier to have them going and try to slow the down later (steady them) rather than stressing early on steadiness and them later wanting them to pick it up and have more energy. maybe that makes a lil more since
    GEAUX TIGERS
    LSU!!!

.......because it is easier to slow them down rather than speed them up.
    It's a little more important than that. Without momentum you have little to work with. I wouldn't want to own a dog that lacked it and too much too soon with steadying saps the momentum from all but the most hi-powered of young dogs.

The Go Go part of your second post is a little more on point

john
    Last edited by john fallon; 06-20-2009 at 07:59 PM.
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

Norman x Landry's Tiger Lilly

I don't know the bitch line on his pup but with the sire's line I'd want to get a good start on obedience and steadiness now. Trumarc's line isn't known for being piggy and Cosmo didn't ever throw one.

Assuming the bitch line is good, I'd opt for odedience and steadiness soon and expect that mom and dad threw in lots of birdiness.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

I wouldn't be that concerned about steadying yet. There is some Am that doesn't steady them until the pup is much older.

what tools will be available in the field if the dog lacks basic casting. ie cheating. lining. I do not see how one could progress with out handling from very young age.