The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: More good union work

Quote Originally Posted by badbullgator View Post
    Hardly. When I had my plastering and drywall business I would get the union guys from up north. Keep in mind this is back in the late 80'2 early 90's and they wanted $30/hr for a job that paid $15. The few that actually took the job were about as usless a tits on a trout becasue they wanted to do one job and only one job with the least amount of work they could get away with. The guys that actually made $30+/hr for me did piece work and EARNED great money. In the real world a man is worth whay he is worth and not what a union says his lazy ass is worth
    I have had similar experience with union help. We get a lot of laid off union carpenters calling for work in the winter, and to the man they can't keep up with the footage guys. The footage guys never want them on their crews, because working with them on a split cuts their pay significantly. Usually if you hire them by the hour, they cost way more then you can possibly bid the job for, and then complain about what they are getting paid. While footage guys on the same type jobs are making between $40 and $60 an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Hawkes View Post
    Eh, unions made Americana. Unions are a great thing. If it wasn't for them, we'd still be making next to nothing.
    That's such a myth. The reason that people are making more is increased prodcutivity and demand for workers. The union movement is based on a Marxist view of society i.e. business owners are just out to exploit the masses. This country would be in better shape without unions.
    Kelly, Weis, Willingham, & Davies

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    That's such a myth. The reason that people are making more is increased prodcutivity and demand for workers. The union movement is based on a Marxist view of society i.e. business owners are just out to exploit the masses. This country would be in better shape without unions.
    My 90 yo grandfather was a union coal miner in western Pennsylvania for 43 years. Tried to serve in WWII, but was told his job was war-effort critical and was turned down, and told to crawl back into the mines.

He was never rich, never drove a Cadillac, still won't drive anything japanese, but managed to put his three daughters through college with his savings and a little help from scholarships.

He and my grandmother have been able to remain in their tiny coal-town home, and not go bankrupt due to medical expenses because of his union retirement pension. And he still ain't driving Cadillacs, just dodges.

HE is what made this country strong. Any problems with that?
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    My 90 yo grandfather was a union coal miner in western Pennsylvania for 43 years. Tried to serve in WWII, but was told his job was war-effort critical and was turned down, and told to crawl back into the mines.

He was never rich, never drove a Cadillac, still won't drive anything japanese, but managed to put his three daughters through college with his savings and a little help from scholarships.

He and my grandmother have been able to remain in their tiny coal-town home, and not go bankrupt due to medical expenses because of his union retirement pension. And he still ain't driving Cadillacs, just dodges.

HE is what made this country strong. Any problems with that?
    My Dad was a NON-union coal miner and my sisters and brother and myself paid our own way through college....and he has a Ford. Is he less of an American?

I always loved that argument. If it wasn't for the unions we wouldn't make neare anything. Guess what stuff wouldn't cost as much either. Unions make costs of labor higher which in turn makes cost of goods higher.

Quote Originally Posted by honker88 View Post
    As I have said on other posts. Unions have been a great thing for this country in the past. Unfortunately most have outlived their usefulness. Unions = mediocracy!

Dont forget who sets the pay scale around here

Quote Originally Posted by eildydar View Post
    I always loved that argument. If it wasn't for the unions we wouldn't make neare anything. Guess what stuff wouldn't cost as much either. Unions make costs of labor higher which in turn makes cost of goods higher.

Have you ever heard of quality?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Noel View Post
    My Dad was a NON-union coal miner and my sisters and brother and myself paid our own way through college....and he has a Ford. Is he less of an American?
    Not at all. Does he have a pension and health benefits? Or don't hard working Americans deserve any of that Marxist crap once they stop contributing to the work force? (you know, a home to live in, health care, that kind of stuff that the Unions fought for)
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

It is possible that unions were a needed instrument of evolution of the industrial age, much like other historical progressions toward a better understanding of how working with the labor force can benefit both management and workers. However, it can then be time to move toward the next step in the evolution. I believe that next step is for workers and management to realize that each is important to the ultimate goal of producing quality in their products (or services) for the benefit of the customers, the workers, and the shareholders. Some small businesses, and some pretty large ones, have done that even without the presence of unions.

We might look to Japan where companies attempt to give workers a sense of familial attachment to the company. Perhaps it was a lesson learned from the history of union activity, or perhaps it was also due in part to their culture.

We should always be ready learn from history. The good that the unions did, is something to learn from. The harm that came with power of unions and the abuses that took place are also something to learn from. I don't think management can ever again take their labor force for granted as they did before the age of unions.
    Last edited by Gerry Clinchy; 07-04-2009 at 10:57 AM. Reason: spelling
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Unions drive up labor rates by restricting competition of workers. That should be considered anti-trust, but it is supported by the politicians in exchange for hefty contributions. If unions would team with management and focus on increasing worker productivity instead of trying to create make work jobs. Then workers could truly earn pensions and such instead of extorting them.
    Kelly, Weis, Willingham, & Davies