RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

How to make dog a "scooper"

2K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  Leddyman 
#1 ·
I have a few questions.....
How do I make my dog a scooper?
What is a scooper?
Should I get rid of him if he's not a natural scooper?
Why should I have to show him to be a scooper?
What's the best scooping stud dog?

In the dark regards,:confused:

#2 ·
I get dogs into the kennel all the time that are 'scoopers'. I hate it- nothing worse than a dog who beats you to the poop before you get it scooped.....:)

#5 ·
Mmmm, fresh off the presses......

#7 ·
Maybe it is just me which it usually is, what do you mean by scooper? I am somehow thinking if not explained this will become a conversation about seat reamers and gaskets.

#8 ·
There is a new dog training video out that says among the talking points says "how to make your dog a scooper"? I have been around dogs along time, and this is way over my head.

#16 ·
What kind of cat is that in yer avatar? My cat scoops sand over his but I can't get the dog to go in the box. He thinks it is some kind of dine out situation.

Tootsie roll eatin dog regards,

#12 ·
ohh.....should I add scooping into the FF program? What objects does scooping cover....logs, animals, small children?

#13 ·
In obedience, dogs are required to go directly to the retrieve object and pick it up. If the dog stops, circles behind the object, and picks it up on the way back in, it is considered a scoreable fault. So we encourage the dogs to "scoop" the item up on the way out, then turn and come back. Wonder if this is what he is talking about.

It is stylish.

However, I would give my right arm for Russ's kind of "scooper".

Lisa

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.