The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I know you can't save them all.... but...

Default I know you can't save them all... Update: Road Trip

A friend knows I've been looking and researching labs.

I want one mostly to use for Duck and Goose hunting, but I wouldnít mind getting involved with Hunt Tests since doing things like that only gets you a better dog and such... Iíve been looking at FT/HT bred pups from all over just trying to familiarize myself the pedigrees and names, also just to see whatís out there. Iím doing my homework, taking my time, and looking at dogs that are not only proven, but healthy and tested for everything under the sun.

Said friend calls me up and says they know someone who bought a BLF and just canít keep her.
    You know the drill, sheís to hyper, she chews and pees on the floor, and they donít have enough timeÖect
    The pup is 3 Ĺ months old!

They give me the contact info; I politely say that I will contact her anyway, but Iím looking for something specific. So I wasnít getting my hopes up and didnít think I could helpÖ plus Iím not quite sure if I want a puppy RIGHT NOW, I was looking more into the future.

Well two days ago, I shoot the lady an e-mail. They still have her, and listed her on craigslist(UGH!) but havenít found her a home yet. They got her from a breeder (I didnít inquire which one). She has all her first shots, and they have her AKC papers but didnít fill them out or send them in yet. I can't imagine the papers are worth anything anyway, it sounds like she is from a cheap local breeder. They are hoping to get around $300 to cover her shots and fecal tests and a little money they put into her. She weighs about 12lbs which doesnít seem huge to meÖis it?

I didnít e-mail them back yetÖ so who knows, they might have found her a new home already.
    My dream Labrador was a yellow or chocolate male from good bloodlines ect.
    This is a little black female.... from gosh knows where!
    But life has thrown me some curve balls latley, and I'm thinking now that perhaps a puppy is what I need.... you know how dogs can just put you in a better mood/place when you are around them.

I know no one can tell me what to do here, Iím just looking for an excuse to either get her or walk away lolÖ but being that Iím a girl and I LOVE all animals, Iím sure you know what Iím leaning towards.

My logic is, I can save her from someone bad buying her off of craigslist.
    IF I get her, I will get her tested for everythingÖ and make sure she isnít going to be gun shy, if anything comes back bad I will either find her a home as a pet or whatever is in the pupís better interest.
    IF everything works out I can keep her and use her as an experimental dog. Making my dream dog when I get it easier!
    I can train her for a while then resell her if sheís not what I really want, of who knows maybe she is what I want.

Any advice? Or add your own experiences good or bad ...
    Would you even consider getting a pup like this? Even as a 'project'?
    Last edited by Marissa E.; 06-30-2009 at 07:44 AM.

I will offer my opinion, and I am sure that someone wouldn't agree,but I would personally get the dog, and ask if they would give her to you. If they were truly concerned about the right home, they would not have listed on craiglist..I would take or buy her.. just to make sure that she doesn't end up in someone's yard tied to a tree...
    Plus, if u aren't interested in breeding and get the puppy spayed, yu may take a chance.

me, being a softie, would try to get the pup,and then decide to keep or rehome, as u see fit..

best wishes..

,maria

If I would get her I would probably get her spayed regardless.
    There are so many GREAT dogs out there, I donít see keeping and breeding the Ďgood or decentí ones right.

You have a good heart. If I were able, I'd give a home to every one of them that I could.
    HRCH Meglyn's Maramaxx Daisycutter MH (Daisy)
    SHR Meglyn's Eye on the Prize JH (Molly)
    Meglyn's Timbrhuntn ValleyGirl (Lilly)
    Meglyn's Prime Time to Leave Me Lucille SH (Lucy)
    Meglyn's Lionheart MH (Little Guy)
    Meglyn-Firemark's I am NOT a Lab SH (Goldie)
    Meglyn's Lil Miss Sureshot (Annie)
    In memory of Chevy, HR Meglyn's Silverado Slim SH, July 20, 2006, HR Meglyn's Blue Ridge Belle MH, July 19, 2008 and HRCH Meglyn's Honest Abe MH, Aug 9, 2014.

www.meglynretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Don Smith View Post
    You have a good heart. If I were able, I'd give a home to every one of them that I could.
    me too, my wife says I have a disease. If your just looking for a companion/ hunting retriever it sounds like you might have found one. 3.5 mos is still young enough to break any bad habits this dog may have already learned. plus even if your looking to get into the ht/ft game noone says that you gota spend a fortune on a pup to do it. Id take the pup give it a good home and start training, never know might turn out to be a great dog.
    jim

sounds like theyve taken care of it ok to this point given it has had shots and fecal tests done.

My puppies are 12# by 7-8 weeks. That is really really small for 3 1/2 months. That would worry me why that small. Pup could have parasites, liver shunt, heart defect, who knows. That just doesn't sound normal.
    Nancy P

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

Quote Originally Posted by ErinsEdge View Post
    My puppies are 12# by 7-8 weeks. That is really really small for 3 1/2 months. That would worry me why that small. Pup could have parasites, liver shunt, heart defect, who knows. That just doesn't sound normal.
    I will keep that in mind.

Of course I would NEVER buy a pup in this way sight unseen so it will most likely end up if I go to look at her I will either like her and she comes home, if I don't I will just flat out tell them and walk away.

I'm thinking becuase you said 12lbs is so odd, that they are just wrong.
    I've seen pictures of her, and she isnt skinny or fat. And she looks ok from what I can see!

I think this lucky pup just hit the lottery.

Go get her today. .....Don
    Just for the record I have very fine dogs. Some of the best in the whole country....or at least on my own block anyhow.

My $0.02. For $300 or a little more with some research I think you could get a pup from titled hunt test lines. I could be wrong because I bought a started dog. Anyways, if you can accept the fact that you may just have a pet and later on will get the HT dog go for it. That being said it may be your dream dog. I'd also see if you can find the breeder because you never know, it could be a decent breeding.

And being a girl doesn't mean you're any softer than some of us. If I ever win the major bucks in the lottery I plan on starting a rescue or helping out a few really lucky rescues.
    Joe Dickerson

R.I.P. 4xGMPR HRCH Hunters Marsh Jack Daniels Bubba Jazz MH
    Call Name: JD

Quote Originally Posted by Socks View Post
    My $0.02. For $300 or a little more with some research I think you could get a pup from titled hunt test lines.
    Holy Crap I'm ready to shell out $1500-$2000 for the pup I want when the time comes