The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The "GREAT" dogs & maintenance training

Default The "GREAT" dogs & maintenance training

Having read the "Who is the best marking dog you've ever seen?" thread-two questions:

Did they need to be challenged day in & day out throughout their lives during training or were they so naturally gifted that, after getting the gist of it down-they could rise to the occasion with very little "maintenance"?

Secondly-how many of the great dogs were equally talented when it came to blinds or did their marks carry them when their blinds could have used improvement? Or-were they great because they were the whole package-great markers and amazing at blinds too?

M
    "You can put pressure on a dog, you canít take it backÖ"

Mitch Patterson '07

MHR Wadin's Katie Lied CD, SH, WCX (11/25/93-1/27/07 Rest Well Kate)
    Brassfire's Brass in Pocket JH, WCX ** (4 Master passes)
    Brassfire's New England Patriot (New Pup!!!)

From the great markers I have seen the majority of them tend to be high drive and don't always require maintenance on the retrieving side being that it's a natural trait for most, but a lot of maintenance is required on the OB side.
    Dogs have many friends because they wag their tails, not their tongues.

Yo Chris!! Ditto, ditto, ditto!
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
    Yo Chris!! Ditto, ditto, ditto!
    I know, I've got one. Good thing he aint my first to train or I'd have given up a long time ago.
    Dogs have many friends because they wag their tails, not their tongues.

I agree but with a more gentler tone.
    The great ones "ARE" truely great in every way.
    Field Trials are won because of the whole package. There is no room for mistakes or slop. No standards to satisfy(H.T.) only to beat everyone else every weekend at every trial. Big BIg difference.
    If you've never been to a trial go watch.
    Sue

After watching and throwing birds last week for the National AM, 99% of the dogs were very good at watching birds and very good on line, and did not appear to need alot of attention regarding line manners. Wich in the end results in good marking dogs. I believe to reach that level they HAVE to be level headed and most likely do not require alot of "maintenence" training, they can be trained daily on stuff that matters rather than working on issues. These are the dogs that truely excell in this sport..

I believe blinds are blinds, any dog can be taught to run blinds but marking is where it is at, or judged.

All good or great dogs need maintenance training, meaning technical marks and blinds on a regular basis. Great dogs are great dogs, but how did they get there? TRAINING and SOUND BASICS!

The white coat game leaves very little margin for error and it requires precision. Like Sue said, no room for sloppy dogs or handlers...
    Becky Z.

Golden Retrievers: Come to the Dark Side, we have cookies and bandanas.

Real Gold's Hot Patootie WCX** "Penny"
    http://www.k9data.com/pedigree.asp?ID=144306

Most of the dogs named in that thread were pro trained & they trained every day just like the other dogs. But I think a great dog may be great (as in accomplishments) but not be the "greatest marking dog". So I think as important as marking is (& I believe it is of primary importance), being a great dog requires other traits in addition to being a good marking dog.

I know of very good marking dogs that can be fooled by contrived training set-ups (unfortunately many times run in trials). I know of very good marking dogs that do not put on a tight & educated hunt. I know of very good marking dogs that don't find birds when lighting or birdboy positioning make seeing the mark difficult. I know of very good marking dogs that fail about as many blinds as they pass. But great dogs do all those things, they find the birds & it takes a lifetime of training in addition to great natural abilities.
    Last edited by Granddaddy; 06-27-2009 at 06:51 AM.
    David Didier, GA

I think really good veteran (older) dogs run better if they are given a few days off after a trial or multiple trials to keep them sharp. I think it's good for their mind and bodies.
    Nancy P

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

Agree, some older dogs esp those with structure issues benefit from days off. Some older dogs are routinely on a 3-day/wk schedule but they still train routinely week to week. I don't know of any that don't train at all & are still trial competitive for extended periods. If nothing else they need the conditioning.

But really I don't know of any great dogs that didn't/don't have some weaknesses or issues which require continued training even after most think they are accomplished & complete.
    David Didier, GA