The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vacation. were should I leave DOC?

Default Vacation. were should I leave DOC?

Im going on vacation for 20 days and dont know were to leave my 5 month Old LAB.. My father has a country house with 2 other Very Old Labs But Im afraid Doc could get Lost .. there is really no one that takes care of the House Just an old House keeper that doesnt really care about dogs He Just feeds them and thats IT

My wife does not want to leave DOC there but I think it would be a great experience for him to run free and go into the pool and just be a bad DOG for a while.

Is he to joung to be left allone ?

Thanks Guys.

Quote Originally Posted by javoli001 View Post
    My wife does not want to leave DOC there but I think it would be a great experience for him to run free and go into the pool and just be a bad DOG for a while.
    Why don't you find a training kennel to take him for a month's OB. That would be a better experience and you may come home to a good dog rather then a bad one!

Guess Id like to do the training my self. I guess But I think you might have a Point , never thought about it do.

somewhere between Boca Grande and Nova Scotia

It is going to cost you as much to leave him in a boarding kennel as it will to send him to a trainer for a month. Let him go get some training from a pro. you will still have plenty to do on your own, but the dog will learn something and have a better and safer time than at any place else
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

If you leave him with a pro you will have another source to call when you have future training questions. This alone is worth the money.

I'll second the trainer. I wanted to do a certain segment of training for my dog, but ended up sending him to a trainer when my wife had pregnancy problems. Worth every dime and still talk and use that trainer because I've learned how much I don't know.
    Joe Dickerson

R.I.P. 4xGMPR HRCH Hunters Marsh Jack Daniels Bubba Jazz MH
    Call Name: JD

half way between Cat Springs and Raccoon Bend - Texas

Something to think about regarding letting dogs "roam free" in the country. There are all sorts of things that could be of danger to a free roaming dog. The two old labs probably just hang around the house and are less likely to run into trouble since they've survived this long.

However a puppy is very curious leaving him vulnerable to getting injured from exploring around abandonded farm equipment, old tin from a roof lying on the ground. There is the danger from snakes, porcupines, coyotes, bob cats, etc..., just wandering off and getting lost, getting over to the neighbors and chasing, killing chickens, etc....not to mention getting into the road and getting hit.

We just rescued a Great Pyranese Sunday. He was walking along side the road ( busy farm to market road) in 102 degree heat infront of our place. we pulled into our drive and when there were no vehicles, called the dog over to our truck and gave him some water. He had on a collar with Tags with several phone numbers so we started calling them. First one a guy answered and Said no he doesn't own a dog named Beau. 2nd one a lady answered and said she is the dog sitter and she'll be right there. We waited for a while and saw a car go by our drive a couple fo times slowly, but never stopped. there was also a cell phone number so we called it, a lady answered it. She is the dog's owner and is in Isreal. It is her sister who is trying to find our house but in a panic she forgot to ask directions and didn't write down our number. Finally she goes home to get our number from caller ID and gives us a call, this time taking her time to write down our address and to get directions.

Turns out the dog lives about half a mile from us, is usually in the house but has a doggie door so he can let himself out. I imagine he was lonely since his Mom wasn't home and went looking for her.

I'd rather not have to deal with worrying or with that phone call saying my dog is hurt or worse while I'm on vacation or coming home to that. I'm with the rest of the group here, start pups formal obedience training with a trainer, you'll be glad you did.
    When it stops being fun, I will find something else to do with my time and money.

The Lady

If he gets onto someone else's farm (around here at least) he can be shot. Doesn't even have to be chasing livestock. It is considered a dog at large and property owner can do whatever they wish with it. I would board him somewhere either with a trainer or at a kennel. Not worth losing him over!
    Steph

Brittany - Border Collie/Springer Spaniel CGC
    Meka- Basset/Aussie
    Zoe's Taller N Me - Zoe Irish Wolfhound 9/04/2004 - 11/20/2013 I love you Big Girl!
    Ember Raise The Bar CGC - Corona (a fluffy)
    CH. Justa Gingersnap CGC - Ginger Shiba Inu

A good friend helps you up when you fall. A best friend pees their pants laughing and trips you again!

Well I cant Fight All of You and My Wife so I Have Been looking for a Fine Trainer. I Guess He is to Young and If anything Happens My son would never forgive me, ( he is 7)
    and we just Lost a beaggle in similar conditions but I thought since these is a Lab and they dont get Lost. I could leave him to learn from the other 2 Old Labs ..

Boy What was I thinking .... no wonder my wife bosses me arround some times ( JUST KIDDING )

Thanks Guys

half way between Cat Springs and Raccoon Bend - Texas

Glad to hear it....when will you guys learn that wives always know best!

Hope you have a great vacation!
    When it stops being fun, I will find something else to do with my time and money.

The Lady