The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Leads/Collar for Senior level competition

Default Leads/Collar for Senior level competition

My dog completed her junior title. Now, we are in training for senior level competitions.

I am trying to find a lead that is legal to use prior to going to the line. I have noticed that "English Slip Leads" are not allowed according the regulations. What exactly is an "English Slip Lead."

Is a Mendota style British Slip Lead allowed. What other types of leads do people recommend?

In AKC senior you are not allowed to use any lead when moving from the last blind to the line. You may use your slip lead moving from blind to blind. When called to the line by the judges, remove the lead (your dog may not have a collar), and put the lead in your pocket so that no part of it shows. When finished heel your dog until you are behind the judges. At that time you may put the lead back on.

Quote Originally Posted by bsandersortho View Post
    My dog completed her junior title. Now, we are in training for senior level competitions.

I am trying to find a lead that is legal to use prior to going to the line. I have noticed that "English Slip Leads" are not allowed according the regulations. What exactly is an "English Slip Lead."

Is a Mendota style British Slip Lead allowed. What other types of leads do people recommend?
    A slip lead is basically the same kind of thing the vets have. It has one metal loop on the end, and it's threaded back like a training (choke) collar and works just like a training collar.
    Joni
    I don't wear black because it makes me look slim, I wear black because it hides the dog hair.

Where and in what context does it say that? I use an English style slip lead at AKC (and HRC) tests all the time. A slip lead is the most practical thing since the dogs cannot wear a collar above junior/started. When they call you to leave the holding blind you take it off and stick it in your pocket and tell your dog to heel.
    ---------------------------------------------
    HRCH "Boomer" MH
    UH HR "Hunter" SH (RIP)

"When you go to a test or a trial, your dog should be underwhelmed." ~ Evan Graham

"It is unreasonable to expect a dog to be more precise than you are." ~ Rex Carr

"You own what you condone." ~ Mike Lardy

A Mendota slip lead (which is an English slip lead) is allowed, but ONLY up to the last holding blind. Most judges in Senior require that you remove the lead before you leave the last holding blind to come to the line. NO collars are permitted. Contrast this with HRC Seasoned where often the judges want you to come to the line with the slip lead on the dog. The dog MUST be under control, however; no straining at the lead or you'll be back at the holding blind starting over.

I am trying to find a lead that is legal to use prior to going to the line. I have noticed that "English Slip Leads" are not allowed according the regulations.
    I think you are looking at the Junior rules, where slip leads are not permitted.
    HRCH Meglyn's Maramaxx Daisycutter MH (Daisy)
    SHR Meglyn's Eye on the Prize JH (Molly)
    Meglyn's Timbrhuntn ValleyGirl (Lilly)
    Meglyn's Prime Time to Leave Me Lucille SH (Lucy)
    Meglyn's Lionheart MH (Little Guy)
    Meglyn-Firemark's I am NOT a Lab SH (Goldie)
    Meglyn's Lil Miss Sureshot (Annie)
    In memory of Chevy, HR Meglyn's Silverado Slim SH, July 20, 2006, HR Meglyn's Blue Ridge Belle MH, July 19, 2008 and HRCH Meglyn's Honest Abe MH, Aug 9, 2014.

www.meglynretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Don Smith View Post
    I think you are looking at the Junior rules, where slip leads are not permitted.
    I think that must be the context too. Flat buckle collars only in Junior, no slip leads.
    ---------------------------------------------
    HRCH "Boomer" MH
    UH HR "Hunter" SH (RIP)

"When you go to a test or a trial, your dog should be underwhelmed." ~ Evan Graham

"It is unreasonable to expect a dog to be more precise than you are." ~ Rex Carr

"You own what you condone." ~ Mike Lardy

where slip leads are not permitted.
    From the LAST holding blind to the line. Pemitted at all other times.