The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What should the GOP do?

Quote Originally Posted by cotts135 View Post
    I would like to add two more points to Hooksets original post.

1. Sharply curtail the influence of lobbyist's in Washington.

2. Clean up Wall St. and put an end to the systematic embezzlement of peoples savings and investments. While their at it, stop these large mega mergers between company's where the end effect is now one company to large to fail. Especially in the Banking business.
    Sounds good. How do you propose to implement these ideas without violating First Amendment rights or stifling free enterprise? As an aside, I don't buy into the "too big to fail" idea, but that's just me.
    Matt McKenzie

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it." Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Hookset View Post
    Sounds good. How do you propose to implement these ideas without violating First Amendment rights or stifling free enterprise? As an aside, I don't buy into the "too big to fail" idea, but that's just me.
    Absolute transparency when it comes to lobbyists and their dealings with politicians.(hardly likely) and a further reduction in allowable campaign contributions

Better oversight and stricter enforcement of current law would be a start including Anti trust laws. I don't think you inhibit free enterprise when you make those involved honest.

Perhaps the real question should be why just two parties?

". Get out of the gay marriage argument. Same goes for abortion. You can't win and it drives people away from the party. A big part of the reason that we have Obama, Pelosi and Reid leading our country right now. "

This alone has cost more Republicans seats than any other subject. Let it fade away, because nothing is ever going to change it and harping on it will only continue to lose elections. It should not be national party platform material.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

Quote Originally Posted by Hookset View Post
    I 1. Fiscal conservatism. Low taxes, limited government, etc. The problem is that they have to walk the walk. So far, they haven't done any better with this than the Dems. In my opinion, every Department needs a total audit and some departments need to just be dismantled (Education, for example).

2. The FairTax. It is easy to demagogue, but it would change this country for the better.

3. Fixing Social Security and Medicare/Medicaid. It might be political suicide, but it needs to be done and they aren't winning now anyway. Somebody has to have the 'nads to point out the elephant in the room.

4. Strong national defense. Self explanatory

5. Get out of the gay marriage argument. Same goes for abortion. You can't win and it drives people away from the party. A big part of the reason that we have Obama, Pelosi and Reid leading our country right now.

6. Continue the war on Islamic extremism and call it what it is. Stop wasting resources on the "war on drugs". It is as ridiculous as the left's "war on poverty". You can't stop people from getting high by trying to shut off their supply any more than you can stop people from being poor by giving them a government check.

7. Push to clean up Congress. Earmark reform, hold the thieves and scoundrels in the GOP accountable, push for term limits. Get serious about cutting the pork. Sorry, but some folks just have to take a shot for the team.

Most people in the country have basic conservative values. Most people in this country (I hope) still believe in self-sufficiency, hard work, God, free enterprise and the American Dream. Regardless of what you may think of Reagan, he inspired people by speaking about the things that they already believed in. He didn't need "new ideas". He communicated the old ideas that work. We need somebody who can do the same.

What do you think?
    I would like to see most of the items you listed enacted. Unfortunately, any Republican making many of those items a major component of their campaign will get their arse handed to them in an election...badly. Eliminating the Education Department means you hate education. Want to tackle Social Security do ya?...well say goodbye to the AARP and a chunk of the geezer vote. Fair tax? What do you have against the poor? You must hate them too because everyone knows that Fair Tax is regressive.
    I like your ideas, but they reach too far. They're much too wonkish for the average American to try to understand. Moreover, the liberal media wear their bleeding hearts on their sleeve and remain nothing more than cheerleaders for democrats/liberal causes. Any mature discussion about issues that aren't totally clear-cut/black and white goes right out the window because the media can and does shape the discussion. And I assure you it won't be shaped in the GOP's direction.

What the GOP needs is The Contract With America II. A list of easily understood positions with realistically attainable goals. Then they need to find and support candidates that are committed to those contract items. As an example, here's what would be on my list:

1. Government can't even run itself competantly. Why should we be expected to run GM any differently? I pledge that I will vote and fight against any additional federal takeovers of any industry.
    2. Nobody bails out the American Taxpayer if he can't pay his bills. I pledge that I will vote and fight against any additional government bailouts of any industry.
    3. The government, like American Taxpayers, must learn to spend less when economic times are tight. I will fight for an across-the-board, 10% cut in the existing budget of EVERY government agency and program except veterans healthcare.
    4. I will vote to reduce Congressional travel and junkets by 50%.
    5. I will vote for an independent accounting firm to review the finances of any Congressional member, their spouse, immediate family or staff whose net worth increases by more than 20% in a calender year per their filed income tax report. The independent accounting firm will provide the results in an open session of Congress (not to some committee where the results can be buried).
    6. I will vote against any effort to make the government responsible for, or providing oversight, to healthcare. Again, we don't seem to be handling our current responsibilities all that well. Do you want us in charge of your family's health, too?
    7. Social security is a pending crisis in this country. How can we be expected to faithfully fix it when we have our own cozy retirement perks guaranteed? I will support and vote for legislation that abolishes Congressional retirement benefits for elected officials. If 401ks, Roth IRAs, and Social Security are good enough for you, they should be good enough for Congress, too.
    8. The military is not a private airline for Congress. Any taxpayer-funded trip undertaken by a member of Congress or their staff will be on a commercial airline in coach or business class. No more first class travel.
    9. Oil exploration, extraction and refining is infinately cleaner and more environmentally friendly than in the past. I will support any legislation that supports drilling here and drilling now.
    10. I vow to fight tooth and nail any future environmental regulations that negatively impact our economy or way of life. I will not ask the American Taxpayer to pay more for their energy needs while fellow members of Congress traipse around the world in chartered military jets to the Virgin Islands and Paris.

I dunno...something along those lines would be nice.
    I'll take the river down to still water and ride a pack of dogs.

What about illegal immigration/secure boarders? Can we really have National Security with open boarders?

10% cut of the budget? With the TRILLIONS the current administration is spending, shouldn't those cuts be much deeper?
    It's time we abandon our party affiliations and rather than being good Dems or good Repubs we all become good Americans. MJH345

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    What about illegal immigration/secure boarders? Can we really have National Security with open boarders?

10% cut of the budget? With the TRILLIONS the current administration is spending, shouldn't those cuts be much deeper?
    Good catch on the illegal immigration. That has to be in there. It's not a hot button for me personally, but it is an election winner for sure.
    I'll take the river down to still water and ride a pack of dogs.

What about Tort Reform?

Many doctors have quit practicing because they feel like they are working just to pay thier premiums.

Serious Tort Reform would get the support of the AMA members.
    It's time we abandon our party affiliations and rather than being good Dems or good Repubs we all become good Americans. MJH345

Franco,
    I agree that those are both good issues to be addressed. In my opinion, border security falls into strong national defense and war on terror but must be addressed.
    Matt McKenzie

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it." Henry Ford

John,
    I agree with your post. The problem I have with much conventional thinking when it comes to the GOP is that they have been beaten senseless by the Dems when it comes to message. Lots of people already believe that Republicans don't like blacks, don't like poor people, don't like hispanics, etc, etc, etc etc. Part of the reason the Dems have won that battle is that the Republicans spend too much time defending themselves. In my opinion, they should stop trying to disprove those ridiculous ideas and simply come out with a strong message on what they are FOR. For example, coming out strong for border security will likely offend some Hispanic voters. So what? The kind of Hispanic voter that wants illegal aliens in this country is never going to vote Republican, anyway. The GOP has already proven that groveling and kissing their butts doesn't work. Why not stop trying to win the "black vote", "hispanic vote", "gay vote", "independent vote", "AARP vote", etc. and try to win the "American vote"? Come out strong on basic, conservative ideas and let the chips fall where they may. It has been proven that when the message is properly conveyed, it works. The problem is the politicians can't stay the course. The GOP needs fewer politicians and more statesmen.
    Matt McKenzie