RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Need new duck decoys

7K views 53 replies 41 participants last post by  Jeff Bartlett 
#1 ·
I am looking to buy some new duck decoys for this coming season. I don't want to go back with the same Avery decoys that I've been using. Does anybody have any suggestions on other brands that they have that work? Looking for something different.

Thanks

#3 ·
depending what you want to spend the sky is the limit. I personally really like the final approach hd gunner decoys they look good and are good sized. G&H decoys are about the most durable out there. but if you are looking for top of the line I have seen some pics of the new dakota mallard decoys and they look amazing (they'll be pricy). hopefully this helps.
jim

#10 ·
G&H or Herters. If you can find some nice not too expensive cork decoys that's the ticket. I used to put out a huge spread but have cut my numbers down quite a bit. Over the last 3-4 years I've bought cork decoys on EBAY and now have a couple of dozen mallards, a dozen Teal and 2 dozen Bluebills. That's all I'm using and have great success with my dekes. Usually I'm throwing out the mallards unless I'm along our coast then it's the Bluebills. Thank God I'm not hauling around a couple of hundred dekes anymore. Quality and not Quantity

#12 ·
How much Gold are in those decoys for $500.00 a dozen. I can't get my hunting buddies to pay more than $50.00 a dozen. Why do we need good looking decoys when we can sweet talk them in......:rolleyes:

#15 ·
G&H seem to have great durability compared to the averys. I really like the looks of the avery's but mine didnt hold up at all. One season and the paint rubs off. The only problems Ive had with my G&Hs is as mentioned above, the eyes fall out and while the paint has been really durable. I keep hoping G&H will offer replacement eyes and paint in individual colors as opposed to the paint kit with all the colors.

#19 ·
I have always used G & H decoys, used to buy the seconds direct from the factory in Henryetta Ok....my last set got sold at a garage sale by the ex along with a new set of waders, I think she is still waiting for my child support check...Must be lost in the mail..

#20 ·
Carve your own!

#21 ·
Haha just look at what everyone here is running. My game plan it to run what everyone is not. Why would you want to look like everyone elses spread. Get a couple of everything. If you don't mind the money get a few custom ones that are odd balls, get some full curl decoys, get anything that you can that isn't in everyones decoy bag.

#23 ·
that's exactly why I'm changing. Tired of looking like everthing else. Also the reason why I auctioned off some family members to get the best goose decoys out there (DSD's);-) think I'll get some of those Dakotas. Drake is also coming out with a new decoy in August, looks cool.

#22 ·
Those Dakota Decoys look pretty sweet. I was thinkin gof getting some nice ones that could just stay at my pit blind and a couple dozen of those might do the trick!

#26 ·
Silly question.

I've been told by a couple of people that any old decoy will work and they don't have to be all that realistic.

Then you see all these decoys that look pretty darn good, but cost some serious coin. And no I wouldn't even consider the $500 ones.

Here's the question. Are realistic decoys and all the fancy paint jobs worth it? Please keep in mind I've never duck hunted and I'm wanting to start.

#32 ·
They bag more hunters then ducks.

When I was a kid we had a whole set of black decoys and we killed plenty of ducks. My thoughts are by the time they are close enough to pick out feather detail I want them belly up on the water.

#27 ·
I've always used Avery Hot Buys until this season. I also hunt the end of the migration run, Texas. The ducks we get have seen everything on the way down. On geese, I sold all my Avery dekes and got DSD's. Somedays I only set five decoys, but it's different and the key is "super realistic". People used to kill snow geese over white paper plates on poles too. To each their own.

#28 ·
I was given two dozen new FUD (fold up decoys) by the manufacturer during the SHOT sow when it was here in Vegas, they are made of a thick neoprene and will work for both land,water and ice applications, head positions are adjustable. For geese I use a combination of sillo socks , Real Geese silhouettes, and Farm Form silhouettes that stack like a cone for easy set up and dispersal...The only problem I had last year was hunting in frozen ground in Idaho but I solved that by purchasing a new drill with a concrete drill bit to break the ground

#30 ·
The key to all of it is scouting, scouting, scouting. If you are not where the ducks want to be, you will not shoot any ducks. If you are where ducks want to be then realistic dekes, proper spreads and timely calling will usually equal a successful hunt.

Yes ducks will come into some funny looking dekes. I've seen crab pot floats painted black bring in sea ducks all day long

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.