RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Truck Dog

10K views 57 replies 36 participants last post by  WRL 
#1 ·
I know of quite a few people who have truck dogs-mostly terriers and a few toys. Can anyone tell me what the appeal is to having anything but a retriever on your truck?

I'm currently dog sitting a 9 week old miniature dachschund and I was so sure that, while fun, I'd be happy to see her go home, but...

..she & my avatar dog have become inseparable. I'm happy as a one dog owner, but I wonder now if once she goes I should consider getting him a "companion" dog. She brings out his "I'm a funny guy" side. Truck dog or another retriever? Or kidnap this dog?!?

M

#2 ·
I can't say on a truck dog but having two dogs is awesome. They wear each other out, they make you laugh, and they have someone to keep them company while you are gone. I would say get another retriever though as I am not a fan of little dogs and you can find a nice rescue if you don't want it for training.

#3 ·
Again, no experience with a truck dog. I have a 4 year old lab and a 16 month old chessie that are as good buddies as you could hope. When we visited my sister in Portland, it was a toss up as to who got to be best buds with her mini schnauzer. Heck they both loved her to death but I don't think that means they want her on their truck! I think truck dogs are for the people! They want someting tiny to cuddle with.

#4 ·
Miriam time to get a chessie puppy!!

#6 ·
I have high hopes that he will. His limitations are only that I own him, but thanks for the razz.

M

#7 ·
Okay I have to weigh in on this one M. I have four goldens, two ancient retired and the boys. If someone had told me a year ago I would have a truck dog I would have asked them which loony bin should I send a card too? Most little dogs seem obnoxious, or so I thought. Then I met Bridget Carlsens little Norwich and I started to think differently. They are what you put into them. My JRT is quiet, obiedient, and just a sweet little girl. I've worked hard with her and because she is food motivated we have flown. I love taking her everywhere with me, she's 13 pounds, 10 inches tall. Takes up no space. Plus (can't believe I'm saying this) they have the cutest little dogs clothes! Yikes! The fact that she plays the retriever game is just a plus. I was hooked on her by the first hour off the plane after she arrived from out west. The agiity training with her is a hoot and now Ryder is doing ag. She is also getting good at tracking. I really think the best thing I did was put aside my golden only mentality, and took a chance on this little ball of fun. Right now she is digging under the sheets and running circles around Ryder. The fluffs adore her and she them. I say get you baby a friend. Don't rule out the truck dogs, especially if you feel that one field dog is where you are comfortable in your training and also costs of another golden is a consideration as well. Two is my personal limit for the field.

Would not trade the little Weezie for a million bucks. Seriously.

#8 ·
when I got married my wife brought with her a pair of mini dachshunds and they are the two most irritating obnoxious dogs Ive ever lived with. (all has to do with how she raised them). but my lab loves one of them and its great to watch them play, specially since I had to send my terrier mix to live with my folks.
jim

#19 ·
I'll second that! I had my Schipperke for 13 years and 11 months. I lost her a year ago May and still look for her every time I get in the truck. She road shot gun. The labs and golden miss her as well.

#10 ·
The wife is talking about getting some little yappie lap dog. One I hope she's just yanking my chain, and two I hope she doesn't go off the deep end and waste money on doggie clothes.

#11 ·
If you really want to test your skills as a trainer/handler, get the mini-dachshund! My 15 mo. male is fully ob trained, ccd, ffd....and thinks he's a lab. Marks, casts, and retrieves are great, as far as water work---he'd rather send the lab! Somewhat vocal on the line, patience is not his virtue!
As far as a truck dog goes his manners are impeccable and always earns his timbits at Tim Hortons!!!(Coffee shop) Don't be afraid to drill the obedience early-these guys are pretty clever!

Bob

#16 ·
For everyone's information that's the BIGGEST panzy ever created! Throw a plastic bottle out the other side of the truck and he'll break the window out to get to it and the the trucks yours, if you want a D@#$ Ford!......Dad!;)

#13 ·
A fair number of people in California have had truck dogs. The first one I ever met was a Cairn (I think) and it belonged to Barbara Ornbaun--that had to be over 30 years ago, then there were a bunch of Skips, then more Cairns, then various short haired terriers and some mixes. Theory way back when was they were the dogs you could pet and let sleep on the bed while the retrievers had to be kept in training mode. Don't think that's the case as much today.
Suzanne B

#14 · (Edited)
Miriam,

I got a Mini Dachshund over 2 years ago (retired brood bitch) and I would not be without one again. They are sweet, loving, do not bark excessively, cut down on your heating bills and are excellent mousers. They are very loyal and will stick with you and keep up with the Labs on walks. They are also unbearably cute! I know of some good breeders if you are interested.

Athena loves Labradors and when training is a great addition to the group. Just about everyone there seems to like having her around and the one time I did not bring her along, I was questioned about where she was... Go figure.

#15 ·
The only mini dachsi I ever knew, HATED my husband who had a really good way with dogs. The little witch loved me. She belonged to my sister and I took care of her when mom was out of town. She never did get over savaging Ralph's ankles when she could. Stupid Willie!

#17 ·
The best truck dog I saw was after FC-AFC Black Gold's Kate's Rascal was retired he rode in the front seat with the owner Ben Stoval, but then Ben's dogs all rode up front in the cab. When pulled up to the Central Minnesota clubhouse Rascal would have his head out the drivers window.

#18 ·
The best truck dog I saw was after FC-AFC Black Gold's Kate's Rascal was retired he rode in the front seat with the owner Ben Stoval, but then Ben's dogs all rode up front in the cab. When pulled up to the Central Minnesota clubhouse Rascal would have his head out the drivers window.
I hope to never forget that for the National Open at the Busch Wildlife Area in Weldon Springs,MO just a few years ago, which was won by Wayne Dodson and Copper.

The procession of the finalists came down the road. Truck after truck with topper after topper, many wth trailers following came down the road.

Wayne came down the road in his mid-size truck, with Copper sticking her head out the side window as he was petting her.

They stood out. They won. Copper was the NFC and it was a very cool deal!

Chris

#21 ·
M-
This thread is not GDG at all! :)

Many, many years ago, I had Yorkies. When I met Will, he had to accept them if he wanted me...LOL Didn't take us long however to get involved with Labs!!

My retired dogs become the truck dog :)

#22 ·
You just have to train the little dogs to not be obnoxious-it can be done.
How cute is this? I have to give her a bumper and put her outside when I'm doing drills with the boys at the house-otherwise she will drive my husband bonkers. It is the only time she barks--when the boys get to retrieve and she has to wait. I snapped this picture last night--would not trade her for anything. :D

#24 · (Edited)
I have her again this week and she is great to take training. No matter how deep the grass she tries to keep up with me when I'm setting things up. She is quiet and doesn't try and interfere with him. She bounded after him a bit when I sent him on the blind, but he was oblivious and when she realized she couldn't catch him, she just sat there and watched him from beginning to end. I think the swimming fascinates her!! If I throw him a happy bumper he'll go get it and give it to her and then wait for another one. But when working he tunes her out-although I've never heard her bark and she honestly likes observing or doing her own thing!

She's confident, but not obnoxious. A real doll.

I took them both with me to the car wash this morning & when I was done she was curled up on the front seat next to him -sound asleep!

I don't want/need a second dog, but I'd take this pup in a heartbeat!

M

#28 ·
If someone will tell me how to do it-I have a video of them that is pretty cute!

M

#26 ·
I have had dachsies all my life and this is what I can tell you: they are delightful, spiritied, sneaky, funny, challenging, stubborn, a clown, RESOURCEFUL, vibrant with attitude and will take on anything as they dont know their own size. They are insightful, self indulgent, protective when they want, curious, great hunters, have their own ways of doing things, they can be moody or happy. They have health drawbacks like disc problems in their backs since they are so long bodied. You have to keep the weight off of them when they approach about 5. That is what I mean be self indulgent, they will eat as much as they can in a small time as like it was their last meal on earth. My parents old dog Toodie got into a bag of science diet and was bloated for days, She could only waddle to get outside to go potty.

WRL is going to be having a litter of dapples, chocs, and black and tan in a couple months. She has a wait list. I used to own the dam and gave her to Lee for a while to take care of her while I recover from having cancer. She is a chocolate and tan and is about 8lbs or so, she is a sweetheart and an excellent dam, She has no health issues and had her eyes checked as a baby. Long hairs have more eye problems than the smooths. Someday I will get another, but it will be a while as I go back to work Monday from a long hiatus. Plus I will have to sneak one by the husband to be. He likes pointers

#27 ·
They are very cute.

Be careful to recognize that some big dogs do not like miniature dogs, or perhaps they see them as prey (after all, a min doxie is about the size of a squirrel). Don't assume that all dogs will play nice with the little one. It only takes a moment and one chomp to be a real bad scene.

#30 ·
Whistler adores the Yorkies that come and stay with me. They go out in the back with him, and bark at the neighbor's dogs from underneath hm.
Whistler is frail, so he can play with them without getting hurt.
I put my order in for a little dog over the weekend. I am hoping it does not take forever!

#34 ·
M-
Don't have a clue how to do a video--good question though. Put up some pictures of her in the meantime. What are you going to do--seems to me you are hooked on the little turd. She sounds like a really nice little girl.

The thing I've discovered and I really like about the little tiny dogs--it's like having a puppy all the time. And it is way easier on the lap, then the 80# retrievers. Hard to cuddle them when the circulation to your legs is cut off. ;-)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.