RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Truck Dog

10K views 57 replies 36 participants last post by  WRL 
#1 ·
I know of quite a few people who have truck dogs-mostly terriers and a few toys. Can anyone tell me what the appeal is to having anything but a retriever on your truck?

I'm currently dog sitting a 9 week old miniature dachschund and I was so sure that, while fun, I'd be happy to see her go home, but...

..she & my avatar dog have become inseparable. I'm happy as a one dog owner, but I wonder now if once she goes I should consider getting him a "companion" dog. She brings out his "I'm a funny guy" side. Truck dog or another retriever? Or kidnap this dog?!?

M

#35 ·
I am in the market for a good truck dog too. I got a fiest from a lady and a week later she called me begging for it back so I gave it back. I just got a rat terrier chihuahua mix for my cousin we had it for a week and Scooter loved it.

So now I am trying to find a little terrier type. I want one that can double as a squirrel dog.

#37 ·
PLEASE try a rescue or a shelter dog for your truck dog. There are rescue organizations for almost all breeds in almost all states. They screen their animals and can provide wonderful companions.

I picked up a wandering pit bull female a little over a year ago thinking I would put her in a rescue. Truth is pit bull rescues are so overwhelmed they cannot take surrenders from private citizens anymore. I treated her heartworms, spayed and innoculated her...and she loves the front seat. She gets along with all the dogs, loves kids, puppies, and people. She snores and farts, but her huge smile gets me every time.

Patsy

#38 ·
I love reading this post because it is clear how much each of you loves your dogs. On yucky days, and after reading TooTall's sad post, it is nice to see a thread like this. I have 5 Standard Poodles -- I always threaten to get them a Lab to do their "bidding." We took care of a Rat Terrier for the first time last week (our next door neighbors' dog that I really didn't care for because it barks constantly). In less than 24 hours she was sleeping in my bed with the Poodles (and I am allergic to dogs btw). We laughed so hard at her rubbing "the Poodle stink" off of her when she got outside. She'd roll around in the grass, like "good lord those dogs smell, how do I get this off of me?" My guys were insulted...

#39 ·
Miriam....since you're probably not concerned about the "babe attraction factor" with a truck dog....the choice is wide open.

I remember way back when....I decided to get a beagle puppy....it was a worthless excuse for a dog but man did I meet women. I got more dates sitting at traffic lights than you could imagine.

G
#40 ·
I'm looking for a small breed dog to have as a companion to our lab I was thinking about a JRT but everyones telling me they are to hyper yappy is this true? I was a dog groomer for years so I dont want any dog that has to be groomed outside of a brushing.

#42 ·
I'm looking for a small breed dog to have as a companion to our lab I was thinking about a JRT but everyones telling me they are to hyper yappy is this true? I was a dog groomer for years so I dont want any dog that has to be groomed outside of a brushing.

JRT-just depends on the line they come from. When I started looking last fall, I was seeing a lot of breeders that were describing their dogs as calm. I went with one of the 'calm' lines and I have a little doll. I also train her just like the big dogs, I don't put up with any terrier attitude. Any dog or person can come up to her or the truck and she won't utter a sound. She got corrected young for the snotty attitude and it has stuck. When a big dog approaches her, she wags her tail and turns her head. No attitude at all. They are what you make of them. She sheds like the goldens, just not as much hair since she is 1 seventh their size.

#43 ·
One of the ladies in our club bought a Norwich Terrier. You couldn't ask for a cuter, quieter, happier dog to be around. He plays with the labs and in general is darn good company.

#49 ·
Very.... The one you're looking at has had no formal training and rarely left my side. Clownish and comical. Great with kids. At 8 months Zoom would let a 3 year old walk him around and never did he once bite or jump. They are also very durable. They can mix it up with the labs and hold their own. Actually Zoom thought he was a lab. You should have seen him swim. It was hysterical....

The official name is Welsh Corgi. Mark Edwards wife breeds them on occassion.

Angie

#50 ·
My mother had Corgis while I was growing up and they were all great dogs. There are two types: Cardigans have a tail and are a bit larger and Pembrokes don't have a tail. My experience is with the Pembrokes. Every one I've been around has had a great personality and was very trainable.

#52 ·
Not true- The redhead's Cairn is about as self cleaning as they come. If she does get dirty a quick hosing off and pop her in the dryer with a couple of tennis shoes- good as new.

We keep her clipped pretty short but that's about it.

Little turd is the best entertainment ever. She is cocky and feisty but still likes to snuggle and be lovey.

Truck dogs ROCK!!!

Kinda hard on my stud macho image though regards

Bubba

#56 ·
You can tell LOTS by how folks treat little dogs and waitresses regards

Bubba

That is so so true. Jeez.. wisdom from the king of bull. AND now this----

Bubba has a little dog, that is not a labby and loves it. Who would have thunk it. Well crap, that just changes everything. You, Bubba, are so full of it--given the fluffies such a hard time every chance you get.

struck speechless regards,

#57 ·
Picked up an abandoned Sheltie pup that was under my truck when I went to get feed yesterday.Hes about 10-12 weeks and was covered with fleas.I bathed him,treated for tapes,fed him good,and he already loves us.Verrrrry cool little guy. Hope to train him to be a truck dog.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.