Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: G W Bush back in the news

Banned

Default G W Bush back in the news

Report: Too few officials knew of surveillance

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...07-11-10-01-38
    By PAMELA HESS
    Associated Press Writer

The Bush White House pulled in a great quantity of information far beyond the warrantless wiretapping previously acknowledged, the IGs reported.

George Bush wouldn't trample on the very same Constitution he swore an oath to protect when he took office. Would he? Naaaaa not our Georgie boy. Say it isn't so.

The inspectors general interviewed more than 200 people inside and outside the government, but five former Bush administration officials refused to be questioned. They were Ashcroft, Yoo, former CIA Director George Tenet, former White House Chief of Staff Andrew Card and David Addington, an aide to former Vice President Dick Cheney.

Why would these people refuse to be questioned? Couldn't be they did anything illegal could it?

Maybe a special prosecutor should be brought in to investigate.
    Last edited by Roger Perry; 07-11-2009 at 09:43 AM.

Its called Executive Privilige.

Instead of worrying about ancient history we should probably be more concerned with the current administration firing Inspector Generals without cause. Now we don't even have independent folks to ask these types of questions, the few that have so far have been fired.

Skywatcher Salem Orchard Hard "Cider"

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by IowaBayDog View Post

Instead of worrying about ancient history we should probably be more concerned with the current administration firing Inspector Generals without cause. Now we don't even have independent folks to ask these types of questions, the few that have so far have been fired.

Actually this is not ancient news. The report just came out yesterday.

As for executive privilege, if they go before a senate hearing they will have to tell all or go to jail.
    Last edited by Roger Perry; 07-11-2009 at 10:28 AM.

What you are calling "ancient history" seems instead to be "most recent precedent."

THAT'S why worry.

I agree we should be worried about the present as well. But if in denying the (immediate) past we miss what might be (is probably) still going on, we are fools.
    --Greta Ode
    willing slave to the whims of
    Kerrybrooks Magical Atticus MH
    Coastalight Kiowa Ravenhawk MH

Quote Originally Posted by IowaBayDog View Post

Ancient history? Not if illegal policies are still in effect. Dems or repubs aren't immune from power grabbing, and I'm tired of seeing the Constitution being eroded.

You're right about not having independent folks...after Gonzales et al selectively fired US Attorneys who weren't going after democrats with enough vim. If you think letting people politicize the justice department, and dismantle the Bill of Rights is "ancient history" that needs to be swept under the oval office rug......we're in BIG trouble.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    Ancient history? Not if illegal policies are still in effect. Dems or repubs aren't immune from power grabbing, and I'm tired of seeing the Constitution being eroded.

You're right about not having independent folks...after Gonzales et al selectively fired US Attorneys who weren't going after democrats with enough vim. If you think letting people politicize the justice department, and dismantle the Bill of Rights is "ancient history" that needs to be swept under the oval office rug......we're in BIG trouble.

Finally, we agree!!
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    Finally, we agree!!
    If you are focusing exclusively on what you have emphasized, methinks you are missing the point, sir...
    --Greta Ode

Finally, we agree!!
    Maybe for different reason, but what the heck? If I weren't on call this w/e, I'd break open a cold one with ya! Have a good one....
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    Maybe for different reason, but what the heck? If I weren't on call this w/e, I'd break open a cold one with ya! Have a good one....
    A sense of humor is essential.
    I will be riding the H-D to a car show today and watching my favorite band this evening.
    There is likely to be an adult beverage or 2 consumed.
    I will raise 1 to your sense of humor this morning, even though I evidently "missed the point!"
    Stan b & Elvis

A sense of humor is essential.
    I will be riding the H-D to a car show today and watching my favorite band this evening.
    There is likely to be an adult beverage or 2 consumed.
    I will raise 1 to your sense of humor this morning, even though I evidently "missed the point!"
    Don't blame Dnf777; that was me. Please promise me you'll drink to him without the frowny face--I hate to see good beverage drunk in sadness.

(To be fair, I think I miss a whole lot of points on here myself.......)
    --Greta Ode