The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Possibly a fix for doggy arthritis

Smile Possibly a fix for doggy arthritis

A friend brought this to my attention, He has a 7 year old black lab that had severe arthritis. They took fat cells off of her back and 2 days later injected the stem cells right into the joints. His dog can run now like a 2 year old, he said she went from a virtual cripple to a happy and healthy dog. Seems to also help ligament damage. It has a $2,000.00 price tag but seems to regenerate the area and really helps the dog. Here is the website and there is a video if you click on small animal testimonials. Kevin

www.vet-stem.com

There was a story about this on my local news last night. Pretty interesting stuff....

One couple said it "cured" their old dogs dysplastic hips? It was unable to walk at all prior to the treatment....
    Last edited by Paul "Happy" Gilmore; 07-23-2008 at 01:40 PM. Reason: link was posted

My vet is injecting for a partial ACL tear in a 6 year old BLF. I think it is extremely interesting what they are able to do.

I will keep you posted as to how it goes...she is just starting this week.

KC
    Arrow's Cappucino Express MH "Hooter" deceased
    Fetch Express Locomotion RN MH
    Fetch Express Smokey Owl CD RN MH Therapy Dog and Diabetic Aert Dog
    Fetch Express Bravo Zula SH RN NAJ CDX Therapy Dog and Diabetic Alert Dog.

Had lots of good dogs but when one saves your life it is a whole different ballgame!

KC, i hope all goes well for you and your dog. We have a dog that tore his CCL in Feb. and had to have TPLO surgery, we are looking into this to see if it can help him. Kevin

Thanks...it isnt my dog directly but rather one of the pups from a litter I had breed. I am just following this rather closely because I can see the implications. My vet is keeping me posted.

Please keep me posted as to how your dog is doing. The long range stuff that could be done is amazing!
    Arrow's Cappucino Express MH "Hooter" deceased
    Fetch Express Locomotion RN MH
    Fetch Express Smokey Owl CD RN MH Therapy Dog and Diabetic Aert Dog
    Fetch Express Bravo Zula SH RN NAJ CDX Therapy Dog and Diabetic Alert Dog.

Had lots of good dogs but when one saves your life it is a whole different ballgame!

Thank you for posting this website.

Never heard of this before......very interesting.

Would be most apprecative to hear how the dogs going in for treatment
    come along...

If it works I am having some of that stuff injected into my knee. Should I go to the vet or the orthopedic surgeon.
    Mark L.
    Last edited by fishduck; 07-23-2008 at 04:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fishduck View Post
    If it works I am having some of that stuff injected into my knee. Should I go to the vet or the orthopedic surgeon.
    Mark L.
    You may be on to something. They harvest the stem cells for the patientís own fat tissue. I could have a liposuction done to get rid of the fat and have enough stem cells harvested to treat all the arthritic joints top to bottom.

Seriously folks, while I would be as thrilled as anyone if vet science discovered a cure for arthritic joints, OCDs, and other abnormalities of joints I am having trouble buying this one. I would wager a case of beer that a severely arthritic joint did cease being arthritic in two days. There may well be some short term lubricating affect from the fluid injected into the joint, but I cannot imagine anything more happening that fast.

Here is why I am having trouble getting my brain around this stem cell treatment. Letís consider a dog that is severely arthritic. That dog started life with its very own stem cells did it not. Its own stem cells provided the code for its development which included joints that became arthritic. Now those same stem cells harvested elsewhere in the body and injected into a bad joint are supposed to contain the code to have the joint regenerate correctly this time? I would dearly love for someone to explain this to me if it can be dumbed down to my level.

I actually contacted Vet-Stem by email via their website and to my surprise someone called me the next day. Unfortunately this person called only to advise that she could not talk to me. Apparently vets only can know the secret handshake.

If any of the vets that frequent this forum are knowledgeable about this procedure I would certainly appreciate your input here or via PM. Otherwise I have a referral to a certified vet on staff at the U of GA CVM but I have to wait until September when he is back in the clinic.
    Jim Pickering

If this really works then every baby boomer in the United States will sign up for the procedure. Not to mention all of us ex-jocks. If you believe in the procedure buy stock and lots of it!!! My thoughts are that it does provide lubrication for the joint not regeneration. How long it lasts will depend on the individual dog.
    Mark L.

Let me tell you folks stem cells are the fountain of youth. We work with the leading university in the country (although I am not allowed to mention their name, it is in a town with great lobster and a great football and baseball team…) to supply them with embryonic stem cells. Twenty years from now current medicine will look very primitive.
    This is for real and everyone should be completely pissed off that this research is so restricted for all the wrong reasons. The stem cells they are using in this procedure are from adipose tissue, but the real future comes from embryonic stem cells. These are not from aborted fetuses but rather from 3-5 day old embryos that are created in a lab (what I do). They are not created for research but for a couple seeking to have children. In most of our cases patients will have an average of 10 embryos of a single IVF procedure. Of these 1-3 are put back into the woman’s uterus and the remaining embryos are frozen for the couple to use in the future if they want more children or if the first transfer is unsuccessful. Often when a couple is “done” they still have frozen embryos. They have to decide what to do with these donate them to another needy couple (many people don’t want to do this for various reasons), donate them to us to use in our research (not stem cell, mostly training procedures), stem cell research, or they can be destroyed. Embryonic stem cell research is not killing babies and very few people chose the option of donating them to another couple (we actually wish they did because we make more money of the subsequent procedures on the couple receiving them), so the vast majority are destroyed anyway. Why not get as much use out of the destruction of these as possible. Everyone need to contact you representatives and tell them that the government must remove the restrictions on stem cell research….it may save someone you love

Sorry for the rant
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke