The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Renal Failure

Unhappy Renal Failure

I got some bad news that my 5 yr old male shows signs of kidney failure from what i described to my vet this am. He was 105# in December and today is 80#, He has 2 sunken head spots, black stool and little to no appetite. (NOT GOOD) He will have the blood results tomorrow and know for sure. He even mentioned maybe 90 days. I need insight on making the best of a bad situation. I am shocked and torn up about this. What can i do??? What are my options???

Thanks,

John
    John Rabalais

I am sorry to hear this. If this is the end spoil him rotten. Spend all the time you can with him doing the things he loves. Let him go out on top.
    Steph

Brittany - Border Collie/Springer Spaniel CGC
    Meka- Basset/Aussie
    Zoe's Taller N Me - Zoe Irish Wolfhound 9/04/2004 - 11/20/2013 I love you Big Girl!
    Ember Raise The Bar CGC - Corona (a fluffy)
    CH. Justa Gingersnap CGC - Ginger Shiba Inu

A good friend helps you up when you fall. A best friend pees their pants laughing and trips you again!

Sorry to hear about your dog.

What i have done in the past with this problem is. Feed the dog ground hamburger and rice mixed in with a low protein and low ash dog food. The lower the protein in the food the better and easier it is on the kidneys. Also crush up vitamin C 500 to 1000 mlg in there food. Along with Fish Oil tab and B complex, vitamins E 1000, Coenzyme Q 10 and A.

Pre cook food for the week. Some of the food you can make for him would be. Sweet potatoes and Cream, Some butter &Malto Meal? ( I think that's the spelling) you can get at WalMart, Rice, Ground Pork the fattier the better, Hamburger, And Dark meat chicken legs no skin. White meat is harder on them. Watch the water intake if he or she is in side.

Good luck.
    Mean what you say, say what you mean, and by all means stand
    behind what you say. A man is only as good as his word.
    www.sslabradors.com

My first dog had kidney problems for years (but was not in kidney failure). He was on a special can dog food sold by vets. I think it was K/D which probably stands for Kidney Diet. As he got older he had to go on heart medicine and that caused him to lose his appetite. Since he wouldn't eat the K/D any more the vet told us to feed him boiled chicken and rice, so I know that must be easy on the kidneys. Eventually, due to appetite loss from the heart medicine he would no longer eat the boiled chicken and rice. The vet said he had to eat so feed him whatever we had to to get him to eat. This led to him going into renal failure and we had to put him down. The vet said if we didn't he would be in tremendous pain and would die soon anyway. Renal failure is not a good way to go from what I've heard. Only you and your vet can tell when, but I suspect that you will have to end/prevent his suffering at some point. Feeding him whatever he wants to eat will speed his demise IMO. If you smell the breath of a dog in kidney failure you will never forget it. I understand that it smells that way because his kidneys are literally dying, so you are smelling dead/decaying tissue. I hope, somehow, some way that there is some other diagnosis for your dog - something that can be treated.
    ---------------------------------------------
    HRCH "Boomer" MH
    UH HR "Hunter" SH (RIP)

"When you go to a test or a trial, your dog should be underwhelmed." ~ Evan Graham

"It is unreasonable to expect a dog to be more precise than you are." ~ Rex Carr

"You own what you condone." ~ Mike Lardy

You may have to give him fluids under the skin..... a few times per week. Just depends on how far you want to go.

I'm sorry to hear this...
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

You may have some options with a dog so young. As Susan mentioned Hydrotherapy or flushing of the kidneys, is one of the first steps Read this article http://www.sniksnak.com/doghealth/kidney.html . I just lost one to Renal failure last year but she was 13.

john
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

His breath doesn't smell bad. I am going to fix him some groundmeat and rice and wait for the blood work results in the morning.
    John Rabalais

My first golden had total renal shutdown at 5 years of age(30 years ago). A hospital stay of 4 days? and a treatment to force the kidneys back to functioning properly didn't help. Total cost was around 1200 dollars and I lost the dog. I hope your situation is better than this.

I spoke with the bredder which is also a good friend of mine, and hasn't seen this issue before in the gene pool. For most of you that dont know his history, this guy and his other offspring are XL size. 90-110 on average. On the other hand he did eat good tonight. Thanks to all who have commented...
    John Rabalais

gdgnyc what were his symptoms at that time, from your point of view.
    John Rabalais