The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Health care has changed

Hope this is not off topic, but thought I would throw this out.

My daughter is chief tech at a clinic or whatever it is called that provides x-rays, CT scans, and MRI services. She's been there 5 years. What she has noticed is this ... the amount of mammograms has gone down considerably this past year. Women just are not getting them done. She thought maybe the business was going elsewhere so she checked around with friends at other facilities and their mammograms are way down, too. The women who got them a year ago or so are just not scheduling them.

October and early November was always booked solid. Last October they had plenty of openings. She is watching to see what happens this year in October.

Nationally speaking, I am wondering how widespread this is.

TWO: My niece lives near Portland, Oregon. For over 10 years she has worked for a company that makes dentures. Big layoff last January at the company because denture orders went into the toilet. The company has limped along for 6 months running a skeleton crew and is about to fold permanently. She is still out of work and can't find a job in the same industry so she is trying to sign up for training in an industry that is growing, not failing. I told her to look into going back to school to become an RN.

I don't know anything about the denture mfg. industry, but I bet it's because folks are not going to the dentist and/or are simply not going to pay for dentures when they need them.

It used to be that I would call my dentist for an appointment and it would be 2 or 3 weeks out if it wasn't an emergency. Recently I called and got an appointment in 2 days. I was suprised and was told they are now open only Mon.-Wed. and the dental hygienist comes in only every other week. When I drive by, I seldom see cars in the parking lot. My guess is his dentistry business is way down.

Just some observations during this serious discussion about health reform.

Helen

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gutermuth View Post
    My health care is just fine thanks, I don't want the govt screwing with it at all.

I had a brother that is dead today because he lost a job and his health insurance. So, while I'm glad that you are satisfied with your healthcare, it is little comfort to me and my family.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Transchoptankia, DEMOCRATIC Peoples Republic of Maryland

Sorry for your loss Buzz, but I do not believe allowing the govt to dictate medical care is the answer. In my case, 2 yrs ago I had radiation, chemo and surgery for cancer. It was successful and the insurance paid almost every dime of the cost, I doubt seriously that intervention by congress can improve on that. The idea that I could be denied care because of my age also scares the heck out of me.
    Bob Gutermuth
    Canvasback Chesapeakes
    ROLL TIDE!

Quote Originally Posted by helencalif View Post

Just some observations during this serious discussion about health reform.

Helen
    That is because the current administration has everyone scared to death about spending money they don't absolutly have to.

I've been seeing the same dentist for nearly 4 years. I just called about scheduling a routine exam & cleaning. Sept 17th was the earliest they could take me.
    It's such a shame that in the USA, defending Liberty has become such a heroic deed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Loeffelholz View Post
    Republicans think that by demanding delays, they can kill reform--and too many conservative Democrats are playing into their hands.
    You girls control the executive branch and both houses of Congress with a filibuster-proof majority and it's the Republicans who are the problem? I think you started your weekend a little early.
    I'll take the river down to still water and ride a pack of dogs.

I received an email from the Whitehouse from David Axelrod using some scare tactics that if Health care is not passed or "unless we act now, these problems are guaranteed to get worse and worse."
    cave canem...beware of the dog
    Richard Halstead (halst001 at yahoo.com)

http://www.browndogmafia.com/finalists.html

Quote Originally Posted by Hew View Post
    You girls control the executive branch and both houses of Congress with a filibuster-proof majority and it's the Republicans who are the problem? I think you started your weekend a little early.
    More specifically, it's George Bush's fault!!

just sayin'
    Stan b & Elvis

I repeat

Radical reform would, first, end both Medicare and Medicaid, at least for new entrants, and replace them by providing every family in the United States with catastrophic insurance (i.e., a major medical policy with a high deductible). Second, it would end tax exemption of employer-provided medical care. And, third, it would remove the restrictive regulations that are now imposed on medical insuranceóhard to justify with universal catastrophic insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Loeffelholz View Post
    Hi,

Republicans think that by demanding delays, they can kill reform--and too many conservative Democrats are playing into their hands.

Thanks!
    Well, maybe we could get those 52 Blue Dog Democrats to change party afilliation. I've never thought all Democrats to be elitist!
    It's such a shame that in the USA, defending Liberty has become such a heroic deed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gutermuth View Post
    In my case, 2 yrs ago I had radiation, chemo and surgery for cancer. It was successful and the insurance paid almost every dime of the cost, I doubt seriously that intervention by congress can improve on that. The idea that I could be denied care because of my age also scares the heck out of me.
    I am concerned about what I am hearing about medical care and treatment being denied because of age, too. I am not the only one. On the news today a representative (or maybe it was a senator) said something to the effect, do they just want the elderly to DROP DEAD ?

I think this could be part of the plan to also 'save' Medicare costs and Social Security. People are living longer, thus greater costs. I can see not getting permission for a boob job or other cosmetic surgery after 62, but would they deny knee replacements, hip replacements, diabetes supplies and medication? Or terminal illness treatment? Or preventive care?

I worry about the "Hey, they are old and are going to die anyway" solution to saving Medicare and Social Security.