The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: Health care has changed

I'm guessing you were looking at a BMI chart?

As I'm in about the same boat as you on that chart (age not considered).

Quote Originally Posted by WaterDogRem View Post
    I'm guessing you were looking at a BMI chart?

As I'm in about the same boat as you on that chart (age not considered).
    The guy that brought it in works for Sentry Ins here in WI.
    He said it is some of the info they are getting as to what is coming.
    The Govt. will be making "Healthy" choices for us.

Also, another good point;
    What will all the people in the Insurance and Health Care industry do when they lose thier jobs?
    It is estimated to be in the millions.

UE??

stan b
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    We were talking today at the gym I go to.
    We had a chart of obesity.
    I am 6'4' weaigh 220.6.
    I go to the gym every day.
    I weigh myself every day.
    I have about 8.8% body fat (I am 57).
    BP 117/75 (check it every day).

By the standard on this chart, I am "Morbidly Obese."

WHAT??

Who will determine these things?

I would pay an increased premium because of that classification.

This is not right!!

stan b
    I didn't like where I fell out on the BMI chart either. But remember, societal norms and medical norms are often different. My Italian grandmother would think both of us are "wasting away" and tell us to "mange mange!!"

The height/weight charts are only approximations. For muscular folks, there are more precise ways to measure BMI.

When I was in the army, I can tell you that body builders all were classifed into the "fat boy" program....obviously in error!
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

From the NY times:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/30/us...ed=1&th&emc=th

Whether one supports or does not support the health care legislation, we can count on one thing ... the legislators will make sure to take care of those who contribute funds to their elections. Whether that will translate into benefit for the rest of their constituency remains to be seen.

I couldn't help but notice this:

At Doctors Hospital, where 353 of its 452 owners are physicians, net revenue amounted to $64 million in 2008.
    and

Eighty-eight percent of Doctors Hospital patients are either on public insurance or uninsured, 750 babies are delivered there a month, and no one is turned away because of inability to pay, they said.
    Is this proof that our present health care system can work? Here's a hospital that does not turn away those who cannot pay; 88% of its patients are either on public insurance or uninsured; and yet it nets $64 million a year. Hey, only in America. Those numbers, BTW, translate into a a bit over $141,000 per owner for the year.

It occurs to me that the other 12% of their patients must pay some pretty hefty bills, or the public assistance compensation from the government (local, state or Federal) must be pretty reasonable.

It has 503 beds. That would mean each of those beds earns the hospital a bit over $127,000 each year. The article does not mention how many patients are served each year.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Now the "middle class" gets to look at a tax increase to pay for the health care plan....sure didn't take long for "The One" to change his tune, did it........looks like it's going to be easier than we expected for conservatives to take back Congress and the White House!

Let's start in 15 months regards,

kg
    Last edited by K G; 08-03-2009 at 09:40 AM. Reason: word omission
    I keep my PM box full. Use email to contact me: rockytopkg@aol.com.

For a look at what fantasy care will look like ABC's 20/20 shows a preview. I cant wait

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdx_2...layer_embedded
    "Communism only works in Heaven, where they don't need it, and in Hell, where they already have it" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    From the NY times:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/30/us...ed=1&th&emc=th

Whether one supports or does not support the health care legislation, we can count on one thing ... the legislators will make sure to take care of those who contribute funds to their elections. Whether that will translate into benefit for the rest of their constituency remains to be seen.

I couldn't help but notice this:

and

Is this proof that our present health care system can work? Here's a hospital that does not turn away those who cannot pay; 88% of its patients are either on public insurance or uninsured; and yet it nets $64 million a year. Hey, only in America. Those numbers, BTW, translate into a a bit over $141,000 per owner for the year.

It occurs to me that the other 12% of their patients must pay some pretty hefty bills, or the public assistance compensation from the government (local, state or Federal) must be pretty reasonable.

It has 503 beds. That would mean each of those beds earns the hospital a bit over $127,000 each year. The article does not mention how many patients are served each year.
    If you believe THAT, I got a bridge for sale!

Just in case it's true, in 2004, hospital and insurance lobbyists succeeded in getting bans placed on new, physician-owned procedure centers. It is still possible to open, but you need "cert of need" from guess who...the gov't.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

I don't pretend to understand the existing system, much less the one that's proposed. By reading what I can about ObongoCare I've determined that the elements I do understand are positively frightening. It seems to me it will worsen the underlying problem, which is an entire system set up around what some bean counter decides a drug or a procedure should cost.

Here is an example of what I mean, this example happens to be about prescription drugs, but it could just as easily be about a surgical procedure. I'm using this because it's a true story with patients and drugs not named for obvious reasons.

Patient A, age 45, has very good employer-provided health insurance (works in the auto industry....need I say more). Patient has a non life threatening minor condition easily treatable by a variety of different long term medications, so doc prescribes Drug #1. Patient doesn't have to pay anything for prescriptions so has no idea what this one costs. Patient B, age 78, has the same condition but is also suffering from cancer so is already taking many medications. Patient B is on medicare plus has 'gap' insurance. Doctor prescribes same medication, Drug #1. As with Patient A, Patient B pays nothing for this prescription. Enter Patient C, who only has basic hospitalization with a fairly high deductible and the same condition as patient A and B. Patient C is prescribed Drug #1. Patient nearly keels over when the pharmacist presents the bill for Drug #1 which costs $300 for a 30-day supply!

Patient C goes back to the doctor, who fortunately has a kind assistant who researches similar classes of drugs online and finds a similar, older version of Drug #1 we'll call Drug #2. Drug #2 also has a generic version: Drug #3. All the drugs have similar properties and have proven to be equally effective. Drug #3 costs $4 a month. Doctor agrees this is a decent alternative to Drug #1.

In my mind Patient A, with a good employer plan, and Patient B, with the government plan, aren't much different than the insured mother who takes her kid to a busy ER for the sniffles so she won't have to wait for an appointment. Neither knows or cares about the cost because they aren't paying it.

WHY the discrepancy? Why the prescribing of New Drug #1 (even though I'm sure there's some deal and insurance companies dont' pay $300 a month?). It's no wonder the under or uninsured can't afford health care with a system like this. It's NOT the fault of doctors, either. But, billing shouldn't be so complicated that an entire new bureaucracy has to spring up around it and that seems to be exactly what Obongo-Care will do.
    Last edited by Julie R.; 08-03-2009 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    If you believe THAT, I got a bridge for sale!

Just in case it's true, in 2004, hospital and insurance lobbyists succeeded in getting bans placed on new, physician-owned procedure centers. It is still possible to open, but you need "cert of need" from guess who...the gov't.
    dnf that was from an interview with a hospital official. Unless the quote was not accurate.

Yes, the article also mentioned that doctor-owned hospitals were now going to be subject to regulation; something about limiting the % of doctors that would be permitted to be owners.

If the hospital did make a profit, I'd like to know more about how they accomplished that, while still being able to provide a high level of quality care and serve the needs of the uninsured. If they are successful in doing this, then is there something to be learned from this hospital? Was the profit not on the up-and-up?
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    dnf that was from an interview with a hospital official. Unless the quote was not accurate.

Yes, the article also mentioned that doctor-owned hospitals were now going to be subject to regulation; something about limiting the % of doctors that would be permitted to be owners.

If the hospital did make a profit, I'd like to know more about how they accomplished that, while still being able to provide a high level of quality care and serve the needs of the uninsured. If they are successful in doing this, then is there something to be learned from this hospital? Was the profit not on the up-and-up?
    Most private for-profit procedure centers really cherry-pick their patients. Since most of it is non-urgent, elective procedures, they can do so. Possibly for some tax break, they will make sure to treat a certain percentage of no-pay. These will not be expensive procedures, mind you. Hospitals complain b/c docs (who can run a facility 10x more efficiently when they have the final say) are snatching the profitable procedures up and leaving the community hospitals all the no-pay, low-pay business. They have a point, but what happens to fair-market competition we all cherish so much? They run a small business, efficiently and profitably, the patients recieve excellent, botique care and come away better and happy with excellent outcomes....then government and corporation cries "NO FAIR"..... I don't see WalMart being regulated for running a successful chain, and running countless mom-n-pops out of business. As I've said in numerous other posts....there's no free-market in health care.