The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Health care has changed

Quote Originally Posted by tpaschal30 View Post
    Elective boob jobs and plastic surgery are generally not covered by insurance. It is out of pocket. It is the only sector of medicine costs are going down. Name another industry where technological advances have increased costs?
    Good point. I would add that Lasik also is usually paid for out of pocket, and its costs have also dropped dramatically, while its effectiveness has gotten better as technological advances have been made.

We basically have had hybrid socialized medicine in this country for years in most areas other than the elective out of pocket procedures mentioned. More govt intrusion in health care will exaberate the problem, not solve it

The examples cited show that unfetterd competition and free market principles work well to give us the best delivery of goods and services in health care as well as most other segments of our economy

Quote Originally Posted by tpaschal30 View Post
    Elective boob jobs and plastic surgery are generally not covered by insurance. It is out of pocket. It is the only sector of medicine costs are going down. Name another industry where technological advances have increased costs?
    You're right. Elective or lifestyle procedures are not covered. they're out of pocket. Thats why most plastic surgeons pay more in taxes than I make in salary. They fly high, and fall hard with the economy. If you want to get rich, give people what the WANT, not what they NEED. I see people on a daily basis with packs of Marlboros in their purses, telling me they can't afford a $4 prescription at WalMart, and feel that I should pay for it!?
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

As a Nurse I am concerned about what is happening with the Health Care Bill. I will be the first to admit that I have not been a supporter of Global Health Care. However, I do support health care reform and universal preventative care. Yes, I believe there is a difference. The bipartisan CBO office is telling us that the costs are going to greatly exceed those projected by Congress. Congress is saying that the CBO is not looking at the savings for preventative Health Care. It is my understanding that cost savings for preventative Health Care is a needle in the haystack, it just doesn't happen. Additionally, I don't understand how Congress can discuss Health Care reform without discussing Tort Reform for medical malpractice. Rushing these bills through by August is not reasonable. I want my Senators and Congressmen to take the time and have a Public Debate on this important issue. Public debate helps to ensure that the best ideas come forward. I encourage everyone to write their Representatives and encourage them to slow down and get this right because if it is done wrong are we going to be able to live with the results?

Respectfully,

Matthew Martin
    Huntsman Tollers
    Matt & Julie Martin

Interesting note in the NY Times. Massachusetts has a near-universal health care program which has succeeded in getting 97% of the state's population covered with health insurance.

Small problem. They now compute that in a few years the state's annual cost for this will double. Surprise, surprise. So, they are considering paying doctors and hospitals "flat fees" per patient, rather than paying for each service rendered.

Seems incredible that none of our sage Congresspeople have bothered to take a look at what's happening in Massachusetts ... before they try to go national.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    Seems incredible that none of our sage Congresspeople have bothered to take a look at what's happening in Massachusetts ... before they try to go national.
    If I am not mistaken one of the main sponsors of the current health care bill is from Massachusetts. Guess he is trying to help his state out by redistributing who pays.
    Huntsman Tollers
    Matt & Julie Martin

Quote Originally Posted by HuntsmanTollers View Post
    Additionally, I don't understand how Congress can discuss Health Care reform without discussing Tort Reform for medical malpractice.
    On the off chance that that is not just a rhetorical question:

Whereas medical malpractice is a cash cow for trial lawyers,
    and trial lawyers are a cash cow for Democrats in Congress,
    and Democrats control Congress,
    be it resolved that tort reform ain't happenin'.
    I'll take the river down to still water and ride a pack of dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Hew View Post

To paraphrase:

Whereas the current system is a cash cow for insurance and pharmaceutical companies,
    and insurance and pharmaceutical companies are a cash cow for Republicans in Congress,
    and Republicans want to control Congress again as they have for 12 of the last 16 years,
    be it resolved that health care reform ain't happenin' except over the loud and persistent objections of Republicans.

Unfortunately, when it comes to fund raising, no one has very clean hands.

Couldn't agree more, Hew.
    Unfortunately, even Republicans aren't the answer. I was thrilled to see when Bill Frist was named majority leader, thinking he would help our cause...but NOTHING about tort reform came, and his health insurance company became one of the nation's largest by having one hand in doctor's pockets, and the other in patients! We saw the practices of bundling, down-coding, and denial of claims rise to a new level with his company and a few others.

So basically, we're screwed!
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    To paraphrase:

Whereas the current system is a cash cow for insurance and pharmaceutical companies,
    and insurance and pharmaceutical companies are a cash cow for Republicans in Congress,
    and Republicans want to control Congress again as they have for 12 of the last 16 years,
    be it resolved that health care reform ain't happenin' except over the loud and persistent objections of Republicans.

Unfortunately, when it comes to fund raising, no one has very clean hands.
    Oh no, I've been pulled over by the moral equivilency police. But alas, you're wrong. Here's the insurance companies giving more to Dems than Reps:
    http://www.opensecrets.org/industries/indus.php?ind=F09 and here's the pharms giving more to the Dems than Reps: http://www.opensecrets.org/industries/indus.php?ind=H04++&goButt2.x=9&goButt2.y=5
    I'll take the river down to still water and ride a pack of dogs.

Oh no, I've been pulled over by the moral equivilency police. But alas, you're wrong. Here's the insurance companies giving more to Dems than Reps:
    http://www.opensecrets.org/industries/indus.php?ind=F09 and here's the pharms giving more to the Dems than Reps: http://www.opensecrets.org/industries/indus.php?ind=H04++&goButt2.x=9&goButt2.y=5
    Check out those numbers. A $27 million to $14 million advantage of Republican donations over Democrat donations since 2000.