The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Hobby/Business/amateur status

  1. #1
    Senior Member dnf777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Western Pa
    Posts
    6,161

    Default Hobby/Business/amateur status

    Is it possible to establish a personal kennel as a small business, to include the costs of equipment, maintenance, etc....and still maintain amateur status in regards to the AKC?
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

  2. #2
    Senior Member DuckTruk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Chickamauga, GA
    Posts
    511

    Default

    I have been told that you can maintain your amatuer status if you train others dogs for obedience or if you board others dogs. KG can clear this one up....
    Bob Foster
    ________________________
    Blowing Springs Kennel
    www.blowingsprings.com
    bob@blowingsprings.com
    423.593.0226

  3. #3
    Senior Member Dog Pro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Keno,Oregon 97627
    Posts
    271

    Default

    as long as you don't derive any income from the training of dogs you are still an amatuer.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Wheeling, Missouri
    Posts
    165

    Default

    Where does the buying of pups and training them to a certain level before selling fit into this equation?.......

    If I annually buy 1, 3, or 100 pups and train them to started, gun dog, or a finished level and sell them for a profit am i an amateur?

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Pa.
    Posts
    5,317

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ghak99 View Post
    Where does the buying of pups and training them to a certain level before selling fit into this equation?.......

    If I annually buy 1, 3, or 100 pups and train them to started, gun dog, or a finished level and sell them for a profit am i an amateur?
    Yes.

    john
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

    "A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    owings mills, md
    Posts
    1,499

    Default

    One of those "gray areas" that needs but may never be defined. The selling of trained dog is something that most amateurs have done at some point. That sale is income. Not usually profit but income.
    How much a FT Committee is willing to investigate and tolerate is at their discretion.

    Tim
    You order a Lab; ask a Golden; but negotiate with a Chesapeake!

  7. #7
    Senior Member TXduckdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Republic of Texas
    Posts
    632

    Default

    To my knowledge, operating a boarding kennel does not constitute a "professional" status.
    Train the dog, the ribbons will take care of themselves.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Pac NW
    Posts
    4,266

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    Is it possible to establish a personal kennel as a small business, to include the costs of equipment, maintenance, etc....and still maintain amateur status in regards to the AKC?
    Standing Recommendations - of the FT Rules & Standard Procedure - 3. ................ Draw your own conclusion!

    The IRS frowns on these endeavors when there are no profits to tax. & rest assured there will be none. Again .
    __________________________

    Marvin S

    Everyone's friend is No One's friend

    Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

  9. #9
    Senior Member K G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    southeast us
    Posts
    5,354

    Default

    For the uninitiated, here is Chapt. 3 that Marvin correctly referred to:

    3. The following definitions and standards should be
    followed in determining the status of any person to be an
    Amateur:
    (a) For purposes of eligibility to judge under Section 3
    of Chapter 14 of the Rules for Retriever trials, a person
    shall be considered an Amateur who during the period of
    two years preceding the trial in question has not earned
    any part of his or her livelihood from the training of a
    dog for hunting or field trial competition and/or from the
    handling of a dog in field trial competition at any level.

    (b) For purposes of eligibility of a person to compete in
    an Amateur All-Age stake at a licensed or member
    retriever trial under Section 10 of Chapter 14, the standard
    set forth in paragraph (a) above shall apply but the
    time period applicable shall be one year preceding the
    trial in question.

    (c) No person shall be entitled to status as an Amateur
    if it is determined that it is inappropriate for such person
    to judge or to compete as an Amateur by virtue of a relationship
    or an association with a professional other than
    as a client. The time periods for any disqualification from
    Amateur status under this section shall be the same as
    those fixed by paragraphs (a) and (b) above.

    (d) The determination of Amateur status under these
    directives for the purpose of any particular field trial shall
    be made by the Field Trial Committee for that trial.
    The meat of the issue is section a) regards,


    kg
    I keep my PM box full. Use email to contact me: rockytopkg@aol.com.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Pa.
    Posts
    5,317

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by K G View Post
    For the uninitiated, here is Chapt. 3 that Marvin correctly referred to:
    3. The following definitions and standards should be
    followed in determining the status of any person to be an
    Amateur:
    (a) For purposes of eligibility to judge under Section 3
    of Chapter 14 of the Rules for Retriever trials, a person
    shall be considered an Amateur who during the period of
    two years preceding the trial in question has not earned
    any part of his or her livelihood from the training of a
    dog for hunting or field trial competition and/or from the
    handling of a dog in field trial competition at any level.

    (b) For purposes of eligibility of a person to compete in
    an Amateur All-Age stake at a licensed or member
    retriever trial under Section 10 of Chapter 14, the standard
    set forth in paragraph (a) above shall apply but the
    time period applicable shall be one year preceding the
    trial in question.

    (c) No person shall be entitled to status as an Amateur
    if it is determined that it is inappropriate for such person
    to judge or to compete as an Amateur by virtue of a relationship
    or an association with a professional other than
    as a client. The time periods for any disqualification from
    Amateur status under this section shall be the same as
    those fixed by paragraphs (a) and (b) above.

    (d) The determination of Amateur status under these
    directives for the purpose of any particular field trial shall
    be made by the Field Trial Committee for that trial.
    kg

    In your opinion...What does that tell us about the amateur status of an individual in this scenario?

    Originally Posted by ghak99
    Where does the buying of pups and training them to a certain level before selling fit into this equation?.......

    If I annually buy 1, 3, or 100 pups and train them to started, gun dog, or a finished level and sell them for a profit am i an amateur?
    john
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

    "A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

Similar Threads

  1. My Other Hobby.
    By road kill in forum POTUS Place - For those who talk Politics in the Gallery!
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-24-2009, 10:49 AM
  2. Is your business next?
    By Martin in forum POTUS Place - For those who talk Politics in the Gallery!
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-19-2009, 07:59 PM
  3. CNM status
    By scott spalding in forum RTF - Retriever Training Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-14-2009, 04:00 PM
  4. Amateur status
    By Tim Carrion in forum RTF - Retriever Training Forum
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 04-18-2005, 09:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •