The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: It's not the dogs fault

Default It's not the dogs fault

Ran the Chippewa Valley SH this morning. As I'm not running the afternoon series you can guess. The dog made a few minor errors, would have had a call back. I put the leash on before I was behind the judges. Done for the day. That was our first senior will do better next time. Told my wife in training she will need to put the e-collart on me. She likes the idea. Asked if we could keep it on for household chores.
    Dan Boerboon

The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who do nothing about them. Albert Einstein

Those without dreams won't go the extra mile

That sucks. I know it is a rule but pretty ticky takcy if your dog did the work. They could have give you a warning and left it at that. I have put leash on many a time in front of judges and passed so it really is up to the judges you have. Sorry about your misfortune. We have all done something dumb on the line and you are very it is not the dogs fault. Keep your head up and keep training. P.S. I want to see the video when your wife gets that thing strapped on you.

I've been given a warning before...it's easy to forget sometimes. That pretty well sucks for you and your pup.
    Muddy Waters Retriever Club

Trails End Goldens

Proudly owned by:
    HR Montana's Golden Retrieves (11/20/99-8/28/07) Miss you sweetheart
    Quake's Tuckin for Cover (01/28/04 - 9/28/05) Hunt em up little buddy.
    HRCH Super Cell Eye of the Storm MH (01/07/06 - )
    Trails End Ms. October (09/14/08)

That's a real bummer, especially since the dog was apparently doing well ...the rules is the rules though....and I bet you won't ever forget that one!

I do have to say it is nice when judges give a warning for something of that nature...before giving the boot...were you getting ready to do an honor?

Juli
    God answers prayers all the time. Even the ones we don't know we asked. God is Good (always)

"There are only two ways to live your life.
    One is as though nothing is a miracle.
    The other is as though everything is a miracle."

- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Juli H View Post
    That's a real bummer, especially since the dog was apparently doing well ...the rules is the rules though....and I bet you won't ever forget that one!

I do have to say it is nice when judges give a warning for something of that nature...before giving the boot...were you getting ready to do an honor?

Juli
    The honor was to be on the water series in the afternoon.
    Dan Boerboon

The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who do nothing about them. Albert Einstein

Those without dreams won't go the extra mile

Senior Member Sundown49 aka Otey B's Avatar

Smile

Don't feel bad about this happening. I look at something like this as a lesson in the college of hard knocks. I remember those lessons VERY well.
    I made a handler mistake on an honor in the last thing I had to do. Judges had excused me and I got up and instead of just saying "heel" and leaving I said the dogs name. Needless to say he retrieved the bird...and I went red faced for being stupid handler. I NEVER have repeated that again......LOL.

First and foremost have fun with your dogs..
    My Dad said to me ."Son, a man just needs three things to be happy....A good dog, a good gun and a good wife.....Thank God I have all three
    Sundown's Boss of Delta Marsh JH (Louie QAA X Delta MH)
    Traveling Through The Graded Timber JH (2012 NAFC Trav X Timber MH QAA)

Sundown's Ruff And Tuff (Boss JH X Lil Bit) best pup I have ever raised
    Home of HRCH Sundown's Loaded To The Maxx (FC AFC Jamie X Dixie QAA) RIP
    www.sundownlabs.com

I once had a controlled break when between birds 2-3 I said "Beamer Sit" Of course he was already creeping some, so as soon as he heard his name he was off of that mound! Perhaps someone could start a thread of "dumbest handler mistakes" to make people like you not feel so bad.

Man, that sux. Today it's a mistake, but with time it will be experience. You'll be a better handler for it, and eventually may even cherish this as a funny story from this journey with your dog. You will get better as a team so long as you keep at it.
    BTW-- the longer I do this, the more I believe it's NEVER the dogs fault.
    ________
    Mike

That is a tough one to take. It has happened to most of us in different situations, but it is still hard.

Might I suggest in the future, if you did not do this, that you let the judges know this is your first test at that level at the Handler's meeting? If you do so, some will allow some leniency with process errors.

Keep on going! It would seem your dog can do the work.
    ~Moira Sheehan
    Third Creeks Twisted Sister***
    Hallelujah Toulouse's Jean (House Guardian Pyr)
    RIP - Moriah's Rumor's Oopsy-Do (Mini Dachshund)

I once had a controlled break when between birds 2-3 I said "Beamer Sit" Of course he was already creeping some, so as soon as he heard his name he was off of that mound! Perhaps someone could start a thread of "dumbest handler mistakes" to make people like you not feel so bad.
    There have been several of these threads and I quote this, as I did the same thing in my first Senior test!

"Sit. Jodi. Sit." She was creeping on the honor and heard the first "Sit", but once she heard her name, she was gone. That test did not work out well.
    ~Moira Sheehan
    Third Creeks Twisted Sister***
    Hallelujah Toulouse's Jean (House Guardian Pyr)
    RIP - Moriah's Rumor's Oopsy-Do (Mini Dachshund)