RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

It's not the dogs fault

2K views 20 replies 18 participants last post by  Dan Boerboon 
#1 ·
Ran the Chippewa Valley SH this morning. As I'm not running the afternoon series you can guess. :(The dog made a few minor errors, would have had a call back. I put the leash on before I was behind the judges. Done for the day. That was our first senior will do better next time. Told my wife in training she will need to put the e-collart on me. She likes the idea. Asked if we could keep it on for household chores.

#2 ·
That sucks. I know it is a rule but pretty ticky takcy if your dog did the work. They could have give you a warning and left it at that. I have put leash on many a time in front of judges and passed so it really is up to the judges you have. Sorry about your misfortune. We have all done something dumb on the line and you are very it is not the dogs fault. Keep your head up and keep training. P.S. I want to see the video when your wife gets that thing strapped on you.:p

#3 ·
I've been given a warning before...it's easy to forget sometimes. That pretty well sucks for you and your pup.

#4 ·
That's a real bummer, especially since the dog was apparently doing well ...the rules is the rules though....and I bet you won't ever forget that one!

I do have to say it is nice when judges give a warning for something of that nature...before giving the boot...were you getting ready to do an honor?

Juli

#5 ·
The honor was to be on the water series in the afternoon.

#6 ·
Don't feel bad about this happening. I look at something like this as a lesson in the college of hard knocks. I remember those lessons VERY well.
I made a handler mistake on an honor in the last thing I had to do. Judges had excused me and I got up and instead of just saying "heel" and leaving I said the dogs name. Needless to say he retrieved the bird...and I went red faced for being stupid handler. I NEVER have repeated that again......LOL.

First and foremost have fun with your dogs..:D

#7 ·
I once had a controlled break when between birds 2-3 I said "Beamer Sit" Of course he was already creeping some, so as soon as he heard his name he was off of that mound! Perhaps someone could start a thread of "dumbest handler mistakes" to make people like you not feel so bad.

#8 ·
Man, that sux. Today it's a mistake, but with time it will be experience. You'll be a better handler for it, and eventually may even cherish this as a funny story from this journey with your dog. You will get better as a team so long as you keep at it.
BTW-- the longer I do this, the more I believe it's NEVER the dogs fault.
________
Mike

#9 ·
That is a tough one to take. It has happened to most of us in different situations, but it is still hard.

Might I suggest in the future, if you did not do this, that you let the judges know this is your first test at that level at the Handler's meeting? If you do so, some will allow some leniency with process errors.

Keep on going! It would seem your dog can do the work.

#10 ·
I once had a controlled break when between birds 2-3 I said "Beamer Sit" Of course he was already creeping some, so as soon as he heard his name he was off of that mound! Perhaps someone could start a thread of "dumbest handler mistakes" to make people like you not feel so bad.
There have been several of these threads and I quote this, as I did the same thing in my first Senior test!:(

"Sit. Jodi. Sit." She was creeping on the honor and heard the first "Sit", but once she heard her name, she was gone. That test did not work out well.

#11 ·
In my first field trial I sent the dog before I was given my number. My friend was visiting from Montana. I had won the hunter stake and was no longer elidgible to run the stake, but the Montana hunter went to see see what was exciting sbout dogs. I explained a delayed double amd how to run it. His number was called the dog was flawless retrieving the bird to hand, but before they fired the gun he had sent the dog. She was looking for the bird and wouldn't come back.

#13 ·
I've had two dumb mistakes but fortunately I had very nice judges both times. After honoring on a senior test and when I was dismissed I took the leash out and wrapped around my dog. Judge gave me a nice warning---i removed the leash and walked behind the judges then put it back on.

When I ran my first master with Belle we had just completed the 3rd series and on her way back with the last mark I took the bird and handed it to the judge then grabbed Belle's cheeks and gave her a big kiss. The judge reminded me that I wasn't allowed to touch my dog until I was behind him. He chuckled a bit at the kiss and gave me a ribbon.

#18 · (Edited)
I've had two dumb mistakes....
:lol: wished i could say the same - I am positive I made about 5 this weekend alone....bad handler, good dog, bad handler, good dog! This weekend I actually walked to the line of the Open without my whistles - thanks to Bart P. I was able to borrow his.

Aren't the dog games fun?

Lainee

#14 ·
We were running Finished one time and had run land that morning and was running the water that evening and a guy had made it thru to the honor bucket, to the very end, and shot at a bird out of order. The judges told him on the spot that he had failed for gun safety, I felt really bad for him.

_______
Jeff

#15 ·
Two years ago my dog was in the third series of the Derby and ran the bank, looped around the second bird and then ran up to pick up the go bird. Then she ran the bank again to get the memory bird and I got ticked and handled her to make her get in the water on the way back. The judges were already walking down to the line for her last series and turned to me and said "you can't handle in a Derby" I said, but she switched so we are done anyway. She just shook her head and said " the dog never established a hunt". So I eliminated myself when she had been clean up to that point. Expensive lesson.

#16 ·
At my first started test We go to the water work. i come to the line and the judge calls for the dog. Her release command was fetch at the time. Instead of me saying a nice calm fetch I yelled it. After she picked up her two birds as we we walking the judge said that he almost went to get the bird. I was warned for intimidation and he said I hope you remember this for the land work. I almost screwed my dog out of a pass. She was flawless.

#17 ·
Ran one of my first dogs in 5 or 6 seniors and she broke on the flier or honor everytime. Finally she picked all the marks clean and was steady on the honor. I was so eleate that when the judge said we were excused I reached down and petted her before I walked away. I didn't get a call back and wondered why. You petted your dog before you heeled behind the judges was the reply. I was devistated that it was my mistake that cost her her hard earned ribbon. But we must move on to accompolish out goals.
Clay

#19 ·
Wow that sucks -- but let me tell you -- thank you for that, because I guess I didn't realize the rules well enough and didn't think petting the dog after you've taken the bird was a no-no in Senior (clearly I need to commit the rules to memory before running). I tend to pet my dog after finishing a blind or something in training, at least a pat on the side! Guess I need to memorize : NO LEASH = NO PETS :)

#20 ·
I haven't run AKC for about 3 years I would imagine. I had the opportunity to run a Master fun hunt test set up with Tess, and thought I remembered everything about what I refer to as the old ways since I ran AKC well before I got into HRC. Well, guess who was so absorbed in the dog and being quiet at the line that he forgot something significant and sent the dog BEFORE the judges released the handler? Yep, and thankfully 1.) it didn't count for anything, and 2.) Steve and Betsy Bernock graciously reminded me of what we USED to do back then. Hey we got a good laugh out of it, and I got some remedial education to boot.

#21 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the stories. :) I know I'm not the only one but it is nice to hear others tail of misery. We often hear about the brags, and that is good, but we don't hear as often about the mistakes. And the thread title SHOULD have been "it is NEVER the dogs fault". We train the dogs we handle the dogs. All our errors show at the tests and trials dogs will be dogs.
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new. This was our 1st senior test.
Spent the night studying the rule book. Closed the barn door after the horse is gone.
Thanks again
Dan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.