The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ethical Tactics ?

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    That's exactly how you operate as well.

Anything Obama and the Progressives do is either OK or Bush's fault.
    I don't think you will find any evidence in my posts or my life to support either of these statements.

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    How can any American not agree with getting to keep more of thier money? As opposed to higher taxes on everything as the gooberment blunders it way though our money and all the money they are borrowing and printing and insuring a real financial catasropy. All the while destroying the best health Care System in the world. The Democrates are out of control!
    Our government has been totally out of control for more than eight years. The best way I can think of limiting how stupid the government gets is to force it to pay its bills as the costs are incurred.

Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    Our government has been totally out of control for more than eight years. The best way I can think of limiting how stupid the government gets is to force it to pay its bills as the costs are incurred.
    If past record is any indication, I can't envision any of our Congresspeople being able to live within a budget, much less passing a law that would compel them to do so.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    If past record is any indication, I can't envision any of our Congresspeople being able to live within a budget, much less passing a law that would compel them to do so.
    They actually adopted such a limit in the pay as you go (or PayGo) plan in the 1990 Budget Reconciliation Act. The rules remained in effect until 2002 when they were eliminated by Republicans to exempt tax cuts and anything else that Republicans defined as a priority. This was demanded and supported by the Bush Administration. The PayGo rules played a central role in the reduction of the deficit during the Clinton administration.

They actually adopted such a limit in the pay as you go (or PayGo) plan in the 1990 Budget Reconciliation Act. The rules remained in effect until 2002 when they were eliminated by Republicans to exempt tax cuts and anything else that Republicans defined as a priority. This was demanded and supported by the Bush Administration. The PayGo rules played a central role in the reduction of the deficit during the Clinton administration.
    "I don't think you will find any evidence in my posts or my life to support either of these statements. "

Yeah, I think I can.
    Stan b & Elvis

Transchoptankia, DEMOCRATIC Peoples Republic of Maryland

The Republic isn't safe when the legislature is in session.
    Bob Gutermuth
    Canvasback Chesapeakes
    ROLL TIDE!

"I don't think you will find any evidence in my posts or my life to support either of these statements. "

Yeah, I think I can.
    You accused me of believing that the ends justify the means even if the means themselves are unethical. You also said that I say that everything done by "progressives" or Obama is either OK or the fault of Bush. I never suggested that I liked Bush. I beleve he will be remembered far into our future as one of the worst presidents in our history.

If you take a factual statement that Bush was behind the elimination of PayGo rules as evidence of blaming everything on Bush then you must hate history that has not been written by apologists and polemicists. The bankrupting of our country over the last eight years was clearly promoted by the actions of the Bush administration which was quite explicit about its belief that the deficit was not very important. I believe that has a great deal to do with our current economic problems. I find it ironic that the same people who said nothing about Bush's deficits are now saying the world as we know it will end as a result of Obama's continuation of deficits similar to those incurred by Bush.

However, I believe Bush's policies do not excuse policies by the Obama administration that make the problem worse. Rather, it demands that the new administration work even harder to reverse the disaster that it inherited. It is both wrong and stupid to blame the current administration for what it inherited. It is entirely appropriate to blame the current administration for what it does to make things better or worse. As I have noted before, I reluctantly believe that the efforts to stimulate the economy through increased spending are risky but justified. I do not believe that the same is true of a budget that projects on-going large deficits after the economy begins to grow again. I believe that will perpetuate the types of problems we are now experiencing as a result of Bush's failures.

I believe that the PayGo approach developed in 1990 was a good strategy for managing the budget in times of growth. I hope it will be reinstated and that there will be no exceptions for tax cuts, war funding, health care funding, or any other cause regardless of merits. If the cause is worth the cost, we should pay it immediately rather than leaving it for our children. If it is not worth the cost, we should forget it.

You accused me of believing that the ends justify the means even if the means themselves are unethical. You also said that I say that everything done by "progressives" or Obama is either OK or the fault of Bush. I never suggested that I liked Bush. I beleve he will be remembered far into our future as one of the worst presidents in our history.

If you take a factual statement that Bush was behind the elimination of PayGo rules as evidence of blaming everything on Bush then you must hate history that has not been written by apologists and polemicists. The bankrupting of our country over the last eight years was clearly promoted by the actions of the Bush administration which was quite explicit about its belief that the deficit was not very important. I believe that has a great deal to do with our current economic problems. I find it ironic that the same people who said nothing about Bush's deficits are now saying the world as we know it will end as a result of Obama's continuation of deficits similar to those incurred by Bush.

However, I believe Bush's policies do not excuse policies by the Obama administration that make the problem worse. Rather, it demands that the new administration work even harder to reverse the disaster that it inherited. It is both wrong and stupid to blame the current administration for what it inherited. It is entirely appropriate to blame the current administration for what it does to make things better or worse. As I have noted before, I reluctantly believe that the efforts to stimulate the economy through increased spending are risky but justified. I do not believe that the same is true of a budget that projects on-going large deficits after the economy begins to grow again. I believe that will perpetuate the types of problems we are now experiencing as a result of Bush's failures.

I believe that the PayGo approach developed in 1990 was a good strategy for managing the budget in times of growth. I hope it will be reinstated and that there will be no exceptions for tax cuts, war funding, health care funding, or any other cause regardless of merits. If the cause is worth the cost, we should pay it immediately rather than leaving it for our children. If it is not worth the cost, we should forget it.
    You need to re-read my post;
    "That's exactly how you operate as well.

Anything Obama and the Progressives do is either OK or Bush's fault."

Show me where I said you said "the ends justify the means."

You do however excuse everything the progressive liberals say & do, or blame it on Bush.
    It took 3 posts for you to do exactly that.

HUMVEE regards!!
    Stan b & Elvis

You need to re-read my post;
    "That's exactly how you operate as well.

Anything Obama and the Progressives do is either OK or Bush's fault."

Show me where I said you said "the ends justify the means."

You do however excuse everything the progressive liberals say & do, or blame it on Bush.
    It took 3 posts for you to do exactly that.

HUMVEE regards!!
    Your sentence (shown in bold) was a response to a quote from me about those believing that the ends justify the means.

I do not excuse everything done by progressives. I blame Bush for what I believe are the bad things he did. When "progressives" do the same things, I blame progressives for those actions in the same way. I believe that running deficits in a growing economy is a bad thing. I don't care who does it. That is very different from what you are implying in your statement.

If you take a factual statement that Bush was behind the elimination of PayGo rules as evidence of blaming everything on Bush then you must hate history that has not been written by apologists and polemicists.
    Speaking of hating history, you have declared jihad on it. Congress began end-arounding and by-passing PayGo requirements in 1998...well before Bush was sworn in. By 2002 PayGo was a shellgame and charade.

Just a hunch, but maybe that's the kind of stuff Road Kill is referring to.
    I'll take the river down to still water and ride a pack of dogs.