RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

2009 Canadian National Amateur Championship Coverage

12K views 80 replies 41 participants last post by  Ironwood 
#1 ·
Just wanted to let all interested followers know that the Retriever News has once again teamed up with the Canadian National Amateur to bring you daily written reports and photos of the event held this year in Regina, Saskatchewan from July 20-25. Go to www.working-retriever.com and click on the red Canadian National button.

#4 ·
That is very cool!! Who needs 400 yard marks to get answers when you have that field to work with!!;-)

Andy

#7 ·
If judges need a field like that to set up a good test...

How sad judging at the national level has come....

Stupid...

IMHO

Angie
Dear,

Do you realize who one of those judges is ? Have you ever seen a trial he has judged ?

He's just avoiding Needle grass and Foxtails with that field.

If the powers that would be would ever pull their heads out, the man should be judging on this side of the border some November.

#12 ·
I would love to see that field from google earth.....thats what I call thinking out of the box...would like to hear one of the competitors opinions on the test set up

#13 ·
i don't see any tricks; i see MANY changes of cover and a road to angle across. i'm sure it's very difficult, however. the 2 trees on the right give the dogs something to re-orient themselves with if they get lost. there's nothing to prevent the dog from running a straight line, but the chances of that happening are slim to none.

i suppose some would prefer a 400+ yard mark thrown against a treeline, using hen pheasants, hip pocket to a flyer like we see down here with alarming regularity.......-Paul

#16 ·
I just want to clarify that I was JOKING about the crop circles! I forgot to put the emoticon.

Of all the complaints of FTs having nothing to do with real hunting, this test is terrific! Anyone who's hunted has encountered patches of cover enroute to falls. Difficult, but nothing unfair about it!

I'm wondering if running the road for the right bird is an automatic drop? Or is it close enough to the line, so long as he goes right the the AOF?

#20 ·
That's what I was thinking, fill in the short cut spots with water and it would look like some of the crazy butt tech water so many of the clubs have, look like crackheads on earthmovers did the work.:p
Ran an AKC HT in a field cut like that once, random circles and patterns. Don't think the dogs freaked as much as the handlers.

#19 ·
Prolly not too long. My Uncle Bob used to leave the hay meadows looking like that a lot at least until he got too drunk and ran into something.

Beer hats rule regards

Bubba

#24 · (Edited)
angie im sure if any of the handlers feel it is an unfair test, they are welcome to scratch and go home. it's not a trick and, as far as i'm concerned, not an unreasonable scenario.

as far as the terminology goes, we hear a lot of hunt testers saying things like, "there is no need for separation in a hunt test as it is not a field trial". you said that this test is unfair for the dogs. it's not a test, it's a trial. if some dogs can do it and others can't so be it.
________
NO2 VAPORIZER

#26 ·
For those of you not there.
I am one of the folks still left after 3 series. The first field was an excellent field with many changes in cover. What you cannot see is the terrain on the right outside marks nor the meandering road through the test.
No compaints on this field or the test by the way. The second series land blind has some of the same,a difficult hill, a road and downside of hill with cover-very doable but demanding. The 3rd series picture does not do the test justice but again a very well set up test for a third series.
Not sure how many have run Nationals on a consistent basis-I have been to many and I believe we have a good combination of judges. By the way this is the 5th National judging assignment for one of the judges.
The grounds have been outstanding here in Saskatchewan-not your typical prairies if you were expecting that.
I'm pleased that folks are following the event!

#32 ·
All that is happening with this field is that someone has "created" factors that the dog has to fight.................not any different than having deer trails or cow trails or pot holes or bush to influence the dogs line.

Incidently, they didn't drop anybody after that test..........only after the following land blind.

As an aside, I have yet to see a field trial where somebody wasn't "wanking" about how this test was set up or how fair that test was or how crappy a particular judge was or any number of complaints......................it's endless.

A friend I train with has the best attitude of any I've seen. "Run your dog, shut the *&^% up, and be happy there's someone there to judge it."

JMHO and not meant to pi$$ anyone off.

#34 ·
All that is happening with this field is that someone has "created" factors that the dog has to fight.................not any different than having deer trails or cow trails or pot holes or bush to influence the dogs line.

Incidently, they didn't drop anybody after that test..........only after the following land blind.

As an aside, I have yet to see a field trial where somebody wasn't "wanking" about how this test was set up or how fair that test was or how crappy a particular judge was or any number of complaints......................it's endless.

A friend I train with has the best attitude of any I've seen. "Run your dog, shut the *&^% up, and be happy there's someone there to judge it."

JMHO and not meant to pi$$ anyone off.
Thats just the point,,, factors should not be created specifically for the national....

If that were the case then use the local playground...

Angie

#41 ·
I've thought about that...

But the nationals I've attended, the man made water and land was made to look natural... No manicuring of anything,,,

Some of the nationals have been on the State gamelands... Not much you're going to do their in the way of grooming there...

Angie

#44 · (Edited)
Angie, when you judge a national you can set up in whatever fields are available however you and your co-judges decide. These judges of this national set up in that field, that way.

That's the way it is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.