The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Questions about the Fall Grand

Default Questions about the Fall Grand

I'm trying to find out anything I can about the area around union city, Tn. Type of cover and conditions I can expect to find in mid-october. Are there grain fields that have been harvested, rivers, marsh, is the terrain rolling are flat, etc... Looking for any help I can get. I am a amateur trainer with one dog. Would like to train a few days before the grand in the area. If anyone trains up there would like to see if I can join in. I know it is 3 months away, but like to be prepared. Any advice from people who have ran them would also be appreciated.

Cheers,

I live near Jackson, TN which is about 1 hour south of Union City. The terrain in that area is a mixture of gently rolling hills, bluffs, and flat land. Probably more flat land than anything. Very different from Middle and East Tennessee. Fields in West Tennessee are primarily corn, soybeans and cotton. In that area, crops will be mostly corn and soybeans. Most of the corn should be harvested before mid October as they usually start harvesting in September and the soybeans will be harvested in October (usually). But some of the farmers were a little late getting things planted due to a very wet spring. There are lots of creek bottoms, fence rows, and smaller rivers. The water is not "fast moving" like middle and east Tennessee. The weather can be very diverse. Sometimes it is very hot in October and sometimes it is cool. On average, mornings are cool and it heats up during the midday, sometimes even hot. You will be less than 30 minutes from Reelfoot Lake. You must go there to eat fried catfish at Boyette's. It is very flat around Reelfoot lake, between there and the Mississippi River which is nearby. There are several places to stay around Union City but you would probably enjoy staying and training around Reelfoot Lake. The views of the lake are great. In Union City, you will find Final Flight Outfitters, a nice sporting goods store. World Goose Calling Champion, Kelley Powers, and his family operate this store I believe. I have never been to a Grand but plan to go to this one. As a matter of fact, I am training my first lab and just getting involved in the hunt tests. I have several places to train and you are welcome to come along, but I am about an hour from Union City so that is a little far for you unless you are staying in Jackson for the first few days before the Grand. About 45 minutes from Union City, in Dyersburg, you will find J Paul Jackson's training area and there are several HRC Clubs in this area. Email me at jdbrowning@bellsouth.net if you have any more questions. Hope this helps. Jeremy Browning

Don't hold me too it , but I would imagine that they are using some of the same grounds as the SRS that was held there. I have never been there, but am interested in the terrain too (don't tell anyone, but I'm judging it). I also have been led to believe that some of the Reelfoot area may be used also. Kelley Powers and his family are the ones that run Final Flight and I am looking forward to checking that out. Only go train with J Paul if you like a talker. I'm a talker and J Paul makes me look like a church mouse. I give J Paul a hard time, we've been friends a long time. He is a very nice guy and has a lovely wife, both personality and looks. She is a very good trainer also. He would be an excellent one to train with before the Grand. We can look him up at www.loneoakretrievers.com. Good luck at the Grand. I hope that I get to give out lots of 2's on my judges sheets.
    Last edited by Steve Peacock; 07-21-2009 at 11:37 AM.
    There is no better conservation tool than a well trained retriever.

HRCH Peacock's Brutus Augustus (Augie) 04/06/93 - 12/10/05 Still in my heart.
    HRCH Hunters' Way Guns Of Autumn (Gunnar) 06/06/99 - 06/14/10 Love You
    HR Hunters' Way Cody's Raisin Kane (Kane)
    Hunters' Way Wind over Wings (Jet)

When we went to the SRS in Union City a few years ago we stayed at the Hampton Inn which was full of participants, a nice place with excellent rates. The SRS held a dinner at a restaurant at Reelfoot Lake that was fantastic, an all you could eat buffet. I wish I could remember the name of the place. The SRS event was at ponds in a flat area very close to the Union City Hampton Inn.

Please feel free to call me any time. Would be happy to have you come train with us prior to the Grand.

Sincerely,
    J. Paul Jackson
    Lone Oak Retrievers
    (731)589-0464

Quote Originally Posted by LoneOakRet View Post
    Please feel free to call me any time. Would be happy to have you come train with us prior to the Grand.

Sincerely,
    J. Paul Jackson
    Lone Oak Retrievers
    (731)589-0464

Wow Brad, this seems too good to be true. I would never pass up the oppurtunity to train with one of the best in the game we enjoy so much. If I was going I would take J. Paul up on it for sure. My dog should have his HRCH title soon but not ready for the Grand.

Grant
    "If you didn't help buy this beer, you can't help drink this beer"

J Paul is full of funny stories, and he is a darn good dog trainer too If all goes well we will make the trek down there and try one more time to make TOO the Grand. That will be our third try to "get" there! Jump jeepers I am sick of having placques that don't go with a trip!
    Margo Ellis

“Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life.” ~ Annie Oakley
    ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
    ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

In All Thy Ways Acknowledge Him And He Shall Direct Thy Paths. Proverbs 3:6