The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Power Washers

Default Power Washers

I am looking into a power washer. Any advice?
    I want to clean dog runs, driveway, deck, boat

How much PSI? How much is too much? How much is too little?
    Electric or Gas?

Thanks
    Some people dream of success, while others wake up and work hard for it.

"Five in the hole is better then 250 circling overhead." - Jase Robertson

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Newcomb View Post
    I am looking into a power washer. Any advice?
    I want to clean dog runs, driveway, deck, boat

How much PSI? How much is too much? How much is too little?
    Electric or Gas?

Thanks
    I have a HomeDepot Excel (4yo) 2800psi, and I love it.

One thing I would definately recommend is a variable spray nozzle. Mine came with it, most now do not. Rather than change out nozzles (and lose the ones not on the gun) I can just twist the end of my gun about 45 degrees to go from fan to laser beam that will cut wood if desired. Its nice when cleaning the tractor, and you need a fan spray 90% of the time, but occasionally a beam to break loose the tough stuff.

I would not even look at electric. Tethered by a cord, and I don't like mixing water and electrons.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Loved my Dewalt 3100. After using my atv and trailers at the last FT, it was nice to get them cleaned and got the duck smell out w/ my power washer.

Angelo
    Hit hard and fast! Don't let them know what hit them til it's over!

Highspeed U-Gotta-B-Warrior***
    Highspeed My Little Princess

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    I have a HomeDepot Excel (4yo) 2800psi, and I love it.

One thing I would definately recommend is a variable spray nozzle. Mine came with it, most now do not. Rather than change out nozzles (and lose the ones not on the gun) I can just twist the end of my gun about 45 degrees to go from fan to laser beam that will cut wood if desired. Its nice when cleaning the tractor, and you need a fan spray 90% of the time, but occasionally a beam to break loose the tough stuff.

I would not even look at electric. Tethered by a cord, and I don't like mixing water and electrons.
    I used to clean and seal decks for a living. The variable spray nozzle isn't really very useful, in my opinion. First, they dramatically cut your water volume. Second, they don't really give you a consistent pattern no matter what you do since they use adjustable baffles. I recommend getting a longer wand than most pressure washers come with (you can use the same handle/gun) and getting a a few quick-connect spray tips to fit the end of the wand. It takes about five seconds to change tips so they're not a big deal. I still have the adjustable wand but haven't used it in years. For most jobs, the white nozzle tip is fine. It's what's sometimes referred to as a "fan" pattern so it acts almost like a high-pressure water broom. If you have more troublesome stuff to deal with, the yellow tip puts out a more concentrated pattern. A gas-powered 2300 psi/2.5 gallon per minute washer is the minimum pressure to be practical for various applications but anything over 2800 psi/3.5 gallon per minute is overkill for all but serious commercial applications.

I got my 2500 psi at home depot and it was a remanufactured model. Basically it got returned and was fixed and they sold it for like $100 off, so ended up being about $175. I would ask about any returns for sale plus you get the full warranty. 2500 psi is about the lowest I would go but seems to be enough
    "People have more fun than anybody I know"

Quote Originally Posted by J. Walker View Post
    The variable spray nozzle isn't really very useful, in my opinion. First, they dramatically cut your water volume. Second, they don't really give you a consistent pattern no matter what you do since they use adjustable baffles..
    i agree 100%,i use a 2800 psi one almost every day and had the adjustable wand but it never seemed to work that grate so i got the quick change nozzles and had much better performance. also get a turbo nozzle they are the best for thick mud but don't use them on paint or wood it will mar them.
    Duane
    MAGGIES CADILLAC JACK (RIP)
    JAZ
    ACES BLACKWATER EXPRESS

http://www.canvasworksincmn.com

ever watch the tv show "Home Improvements" with Tim Allen? Follow his lead - MORE POWER!!! I have a 2850psi and its not NEARLY enough for cleaning concrete...I hold it about 1.5 inches away from the surface with a 15degree nozzle to get the desired cleaning effect. My next machine will be 3800 +++. But I do tend to like overkill!

....and get that nice exposed aggregate look.
    Last edited by Thomas D; 07-23-2009 at 06:27 PM.
    Tom Dorroh

2800 without a fan nozzle will eat holes in concrete.
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson