The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Truck Cap Recommendation???

Default Truck Cap Recommendation???

Thanks to my new dog (4.5 month BLM) and the smell of birds in my wife's minivan, I am in the market for a truck cap for my 2006 Toyota Tundra.

I am looking for recommendations on brand and style that work best for keeping it cool for the dog.

And also if anybody is familiar with good dealers in South Central or Southeast Wisconsin.

Thanks, in advance, for the help.

The side windows that flip up AND have a slider allow you to get a breeze going thru while on the road, assuming you will have a front slider.

When I bought mine, the only brand I found that offered that side window was A.R.E. Might be others now, but I have been satisfied with mine an all respects.

You can really make it cool by installing a slider in you truck's rear window if you don't already have that. I would guess that would pull cooled air from the cab back thru the cap.

JS
    “Don’t wave your phony patriotism in MY face! If you really love America, open your wallet and hire an American kid to build what you buy. Think of all our problems that might solve.” Doug Fraser (paraphrased) 1980

Real Americans buy American, though it may be too little too late now.

Snowshoe's All American Guy SH, UDX, WCX ... CODY ... at the bridge
    CH. Snowshoe's Girl Crazy MH, UD, WCX, SDHF, OS ... PRESLEY
    Millpond's Baby Boomer MH*** ... BABE
    Snowshoe's Crazy For Lovin You SH ... NELSON

Quote Originally Posted by JS View Post
    The side windows that flip up AND have a slider allow you to get a breeze going thru while on the road, assuming you will have a front slider.
    JS
    I agree. I know Swiss makes one, also.

I put the Century Fiberglass skirted Ultra on my F-150.The cap window is a slider and folds down so you can clean it and I have sliding windows with screens on the sides.The tinted windows are nice too.Looks good and no leaks.If you want to cross the border into Illinois you can get one at Tri-County Caps (Round Lake or Algonquin)but I'll bet Century has somebody near you to install one.

I have an A.R.E. with dark tinted side flip-up windows with screen sliders in them. The other thing I did was special ordered a front window with slider that not only tilts down for cleaning, but actually comes right out.

If you use a thermometer to monitor temps in the back during hot weather, you'll see that closing it up to travel really causes temps to soar back there, even with side windows open. Having a front slider helps a bunch, but I remove the entire front window for the summer. It allows maximum airflow from the gap between the cab and cap while traveling and maximizes airflow while parked. Have never had rain get in since the cap has a bit of a forward angle to it in order to match the angle on the back of the cab.

Leer offers the removable front window, but A.R.E. only offers the tilt-down option. I simply ordered my cap with a solid window and ordered the removable window from the window supplier in Indiana (Creative glass - I think), my local A.R.E. dealer made the switch when my cap came in at no additional cost. I'd never go any other way.
    FCR "Ransom" - Coastalight Toodoggone Much CD MH ** (2012 MN Qualifier)
    FCR "Legend" - Ryvertowns More Than A Memory CD ***(QAA and 2011 FCRSA Field Trial Trophy Winner)
    LAB "Traitor" - All Out Gone to The Dark Side (QAA and Nat'l Derby List)

I have an A.R.E. with the vented side Windoors like All Out, wouldn't have a top without them. Now I like a fiberglass top but actually aluminum tops are cooler than fiberglass. I have a cargo light that is hooked into the hot wire in my trailering package and am thinking about hooking a 12 volt outlet in back in case I need fans. Having said all this the dogs are generally in a trailer except when I an taking 1 or 2 dogs.
    There is no better conservation tool than a well trained retriever.

HRCH Peacock's Brutus Augustus (Augie) 04/06/93 - 12/10/05 Still in my heart.
    HRCH Hunters' Way Guns Of Autumn (Gunnar) 06/06/99 - 06/14/10 Love You
    HR Hunters' Way Cody's Raisin Kane (Kane)
    Hunters' Way Wind over Wings (Jet)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Peacock View Post
    I have a cargo light that is hooked into the hot wire in my trailering package and am thinking about hooking a 12 volt outlet in back in case I need fans.
    Whatever you decide, I'd think a fan would be handy.
    Stray labs make great pets.
    Proud member of the FF society.

I wouldn't get another Century cap if they paid me to take it. Same goes with Leer.

ARE is the best cap on the market with the slip out window option.

I would get a slider on the cap if your truck has a slider as well. The Endless Breeze box fan fits almost perfectly into the window opening and provides heat and AC to the dogs when needed. Make sure to get a window boot too.
    Mike Boufford

Home to:
    UH HRCH Blue Sky's Carolina Contessa (500 Point Club)
    HRCH Firestorm Black on the Inside

UH HRCH MarshQurls Thunderfoot Jake SH (660 lifetime points) 2/24/02 - 12/11/08

"The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves." — George Washington 1776

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Boufford View Post
    I wouldn't get another Century cap if they paid me to take it. Same goes with Leer.

ARE is the best cap on the market with the slip out window option.

I would get a slider on the cap if your truck has a slider as well. The Endless Breeze box fan fits almost perfectly into the window opening and provides heat and AC to the dogs when needed. Make sure to get a window boot too.
    X2....the only drawback to A.R.E. is the price $$$
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Aluminum toppers are by far the coolest. I have had both.
    I do like my hard shell a bit better. It seems to be more durable.
    Aluminum is also way lighter and thus easier on the gas. Unless you go real expensive in the hard shells.
    Greg W.

Brooks Black Gold At Briarwood JH (Louie)
    Brandywine's Belle on Wheels JH (Belle)
    Serengetti Sadie O'Brandywine SH -MH passes (Sadie)
    CH Brandywine's Westdale Duggan MH (Duggan)
    CH Alpenglo's Jasmine O'Brooks JH CD (Jasmine)
    Brandywine's Flagship SH (Brandy)