The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 8.5 BILLION $ To ACORN !!!

Default 8.5 BILLION $ To ACORN !!!

As if tax payers don't have enough to pay for, Obama wants to continue funding this illegal criminal organization. But then again, ACORN is his team!

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=104842
    It's such a shame that in the USA, defending Liberty has become such a heroic deed.

Uncle Sam's Plantation gets bigger and bigger everyday!

Ah yes, another example of The Big Lie from the right wing echo chamber. The $8.5 billion ACORN fright fantasy started with an article in the American Spectator that basically assumed that any funds allocated in the stimulus package for community development block grants would (potentially) go to ACORN. Of course, this ignores the fact that ACORN has no significant track record of ever seeking or receiving Federal grants, but when hysteria is your goal, never let facts stand in the way.

As it was, the specific programs identified as possible "ACORN" funds in the original bill were finally adopted in much smaller numbers. In fact, none of those funds have gone to ACORN. That has done nothing to curb the lie machine from continuing to drag out the same numbers over and over again.

The notion of The Big Lie began with the Nazis -- first Hitler and then Goebbels. In Mein Kampf, Hitler described it as a lie so colossal that no one would believe that someone "could have the impudence to distort the truth so infamously". Needless to say, Hitler was accusing Jews of this tactic just as Goebbels later accused England. The $8.5 billion lie is simply one more example of the propaganda that now seems to dominate right wing commentary (right along with claims that Obama is not a citizen).

Cool

Since it wasn't 8.5 Billion I guess I shouldn't believe the reports about registration abuse, partisan politics, and the other unethical and illegal acts that ACORN has been involved in. They don't need to make up more stuff about ACORN what they HAVE done is enough.
    Huntsman Tollers
    Matt & Julie Martin

ACORN, and apparently Yardley, would have you believe that ACORN does not receive Federal money or isn't eligible to receive Federal money. Don't believe it. ACORN is a web of interrelated corporations. Their sister corporation, ACORN Housing Corporation, has indeed been on the receiving end of millions of dollars of Federal grants since '94. ACORN's Alfred E. Newman "What, us take Federal money? No way!" parsing of the facts is as disingenous as if the NRA came out and said they didn't lobby politicians for gun rights (because technically it is the NRA-ILA who does all the lobbying). I'm disappointed in you Yardley for blindly pimping ACORN's party line, but then again, I'm sure you can think of numerous meanings of the word "is", too.
    I'll take the river down to still water and ride a pack of dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Hew View Post
    ACORN, and apparently Yardley, would have you believe that ACORN does not receive Federal money or isn't eligible to receive Federal money. Don't believe it. ACORN is a web of interrelated corporations. Their sister corporation, ACORN Housing Corporation, has indeed been on the receiving end of millions of dollars of Federal grants since '94. ACORN's Alfred E. Newman "What, us take Federal money? No way!" parsing of the facts is as disingenous as if the NRA came out and said they didn't lobby politicians for gun rights (because technically it is the NRA-ILA who does all the lobbying). I'm disappointed in you Yardley for blindly pimping ACORN's party line, but then again, I'm sure you can think of numerous meanings of the word "is", too.
    A report, prepared by the Washington Examiner, which also continues to tout the $8.5 billion conspiracy, claims that ACORN has received, directly or indirectly, $53 million in Federal funds during the last 25 years. Almost all of this money was provided through grants by the bush administration and most of it was for mortgage foreclosure counseling.

ACORN is an umbrella organization that provides a mix of direct services through a variety of related subsidiaries (one of which does voter registration), and a central organization that openly lobbies on behalf of the poor. It has been targeted for hate campaigns by the right because of its effectiveness in getting poor people to not only register to vote but to come to the polls and exercise teir democratic rights. While there are thousands of demonstrated cases where election officials effectively excluded legitimate voters from voting by challenging their votes on a variety of pretexts and through unannounced voter purges, I am not aware of anyone that cast an illegal vote because of fraudulent data submitted by ACORN.

The fact is that voter registration drives never verify voter registration information and are required by the laws of most states to submit all forms completed whether they believe those forms to be valid or not (Around me there was a case recently that was buried where a GOP run registration drive failed to submit applications from voters that said they were Democrats. Those people thought they were registered but arrived at the polls to find they were not. Party officials said it was an accident.). Election officials have exclusive authority to investigate the registration information. They may challenge it and require a challenged individual to prove his/her identity at the polls and file a provisional ballot pending court determination of eligibility. Many states have adopted verification strategies that are known to produce a high proportion of invalid challenges. In Florida, for example, the election commissioner ordered the use of a standard for challenging a voter as a felon that was very loose and based on simple similarity of names. Thousand of voters were turned away as a result. In Ohio, new registrations were subjected to a consistency check across state files and any discrepancies in name spelling or address information resulted in exclusion. Had this same standard been applied to all registrations, total chaos would have ensued. As it is, Federal courts overruled most of these actions because the pattern of exclusions was capricious.

Personally, I see no reason for pre-registration for voting. The primary purposes of registration laws has historically been to exclude otherwise valid voters. It should be sufficient to show up at the polls with evidence of identity and residence and vote at that time.
    Last edited by YardleyLabs; 07-26-2009 at 07:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    A report, prepared by the Washington Examiner, which also continues to tout the $8.5 billion conspiracy, claims that ACORN has received, directly or indirectly, $53 million in Federal funds during the last 25 years. Almost all of this money was provided through grants by the bush administration and most of it was for mortgage foreclosure counseling.
    I suppose you could also say that in the last 200 years $53 million in Federal funds has also been sent to ACORN and that would be technically accurate (just as "during the last 25 years")and sound somewhat more benign, but an accurate reporting, and what the Washington Examiner article that you mentioned said, is "since 1994..." And the only money that was earmarked for foreclosure counseling (as if that makes the fact that shysters like ACORN are getting tax money more palatable) was the last 17 million. See where the money went yourself: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...nzsefnJQ&gid=0 You'll note on that list that there are 8 or 9 different ACORN organizations, all with slightly different names, but all connected to the umbrella ACORN organization. I guess your previous claim that they don't ask for, or receive Federal money was "poorly calibrated."
    I'll take the river down to still water and ride a pack of dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Hew View Post
    I suppose you could also say that in the last 200 years $53 million in Federal funds has also been sent to ACORN and that would be technically accurate (just as "during the last 25 years")and sound somewhat more benign, but an accurate reporting, and what the Washington Examiner article that you mentioned said, is "since 1994..." And the only money that was earmarked for foreclosure counseling (as if that makes the fact that shysters like ACORN are getting tax money more palatable) was the last 17 million. See where the money went yourself: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...nzsefnJQ&gid=0 You'll note on that list that there are 8 or 9 different ACORN organizations, all with slightly different names, but all connected to the umbrella ACORN organization. I guess your previous claim that they don't ask for, or receive Federal money was "poorly calibrated."
    I actually said no significant record of seeking or receiving Federal funds. I was fully aware of the $53 million, and that is not a significant part of their operation over the last 25 years. It is also a far cry from $8.5 billion. Using $53 million over 25 years to bolster claims of a threat of $8.5 billion going to ACORN is a perfect example of The Big Lie in action.

Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    I actually said no significant record of seeking or receiving Federal funds. I was fully aware of the $53 million, and that is not a significant part of their operation over the last 25 years. It is also a far cry from $8.5 billion. Using $53 million over 25 years to bolster claims of a threat of $8.5 billion going to ACORN is a perfect example of The Big Lie in action.
    One needs look no further than the White House to see "The Big Lie" in action!!

Hope & Change regards!!
    (I just hope I have some change left when he is done)
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    One needs look no further than the White House to see "The Big Lie" in action!!

Hope & Change regards!!
    (I just hope I have some change left when he is done)
    Actually, I can't think of when we've seen more straightforward honesty from a President. Did you have any particular examples of "lies" in mind (as distinct from differences of opinion)?