The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "The President who shall not be named" back in the news

Banned

Default "The President who shall not be named" back in the news

XXXX considered sending troops into Buffalo

July 25, 2009 - 7:02am. The XXXX administration in 2002 considered sending U.S. troops into a Buffalo, N.Y., suburb to arrest a group of terror suspects in what would have been a nearly unprecedented use of military power, The New York Times reported.
    Vice President Dick Cheney and several other BXXH advisers at the time strongly urged that the military be used to apprehend men who were suspected of plotting with al Qaida, who later became known as the Lackawanna Six, the Times reported on its Web site Friday night. It cited former administration officials who spoke on condition of anonymity.
    The proposal advanced to at least one-high level administration meeting, before President George W.BXXH decided against it.
    Dispatching troops into the streets is virtually unheard of. The Constitution and various laws restrict the military from being used to conduct domestic raids and seize property.
    According to the Times, Cheney and other BXXh aides said an Oct. 23, 2001, Justice Department memo gave broad presidential authority that allowed BXXh to use the domestic use of the military against al-Qaida if it was justified on the grounds of national security, rather than law enforcement.
    Among those arguing for the military use besides Cheney were his legal adviser David S. Addington and some senior Defense Department officials, the Times reported.
    Opposing the idea were Condoleezza Rice, then the national security adviser; John B. Bellinger III, the top lawyer at the National Security Council; FBI Director Robert S. Mueller III; and Michael Chertoff, then the head of the Justice Department's criminal division.
    BXXh ultimately nixed the proposal and ordered the FBI to make the arrests in Lackawanna. The men were subsequently arrested and pleaded guilty to terrorism-related charges.
    Scott L. Silliman, a Duke University law professor specializing in national security law, told the Times that a U.S. president had not deployed the active-duty military on domestic soil in a law enforcement capacity, without specific statutory authority, since the Civil War.
    Copyright © 2009 The Associated Press

is there a point?
    subroc

Article [I.]
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    Article [II.]
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

We were at war, and the enemy had soldiers and agents inside our border. The logical choice would have been to use the military to destroy and remove the enemy, and to extract important information from the enemy.
    Terry Britton, P.E.

Engineers believe that if it isn't broken, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Yeah. What is the point? I would rather see the good guys, our military, come into my neighborhood to rid it of a bunch of raghead terriosts than see the black panthers on steriods, ie: national civilan security force that is as well funded as our military, patroling my streets!

Stuck at work wanting to be playing with my dogs,
    Martin

Am I missing something? I thought Bush was no longer the Prez. Is this an attempt to change the subject from the stupid crap the current POTUS is doing.

Lots of things are "considered." There are meetings all the time at which staff people present alternatives to various questions. That's the staff process. The President chose not to use troops. He didn't call in an airstrike either....unlike the Democratic Mayor of Philadelphia a few years back.

It's a meaningless article and it shows just how low folks will stoop with regard to the Bush administation.

Eric

I applaud Bush on this decision. Regardless of what some of you might think the President including Obama does not have the right to disregard Congressional statues, The Bill of rights and the Constitution. This was the radical theory pushed by VP Cheney and his Chief of Staff David Addington that the President is omnipotent and not constrained by any law. There are plenty of Governments throughout the World that are run that way. Almost universally the United States condemns such junta's or dictatorships. Let's not turn into one of them.

Scott L. Silliman, a Duke University law professor specializing in national security law, told the Times that a U.S. president had not deployed the active-duty military on domestic soil in a law enforcement capacity, without specific statutory authority, since the Civil War.
    Here the key words might be ... "active-duty military" and "without specific statutory authority". There were definitely military (maybe Reservists or Natl Guard) in the streets of Washington DC in the late 60s during the riots. And they almost called in some Marines to "rescue" some VIPs who were "surrounded" in a hotel in downtown DC. I saw it first-hand.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

It doesn't mean he can't.
    subroc

Article [I.]
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    Article [II.]
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Transchoptankia, DEMOCRATIC Peoples Republic of Maryland

Last POTUS was concerned about our security unlike the current one.
    Bob Gutermuth
    Canvasback Chesapeakes
    ROLL TIDE!