The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rescued pup...wounded...need vet advise ASAP

Default Rescued pup...wounded...need vet advise ASAP

I found a little BLM today. He was laying in the middle of the road. It took me 40 minutes to gain his trust so I could get close enough to let him sniff me. The rest is history. He just melts when you love him up. He is going to the vet on Monday but thought some of you could help me until then.

He looks like he's 5-7 months old. His adult teeth appear to be all in, and are beautiful. His coat is shiny and smooth and you can't see his ribs. He seems in good health other than some minor issues. I think.

I was sitting in the parking lot at the wildlife area. No one there but me. I had been there an hour or so. Only heard 2 vehicles drive down the road. When I started to leave there he lay. I'm pretty certain that someone dropped him while I was taking it easy resting in my truck.

He had wet mud on his left rear leg and high on that hip the mud was starting to dry. He had mud on top of his nose and was limping.

I took him home, cleaned and sanitized my kennel and crate and bowls, then proceeded with a bath. He had been appearing to favor his right rear leg somewhat and his left front paw. While rinsing him off I noticed a small cut on his chest that was in the healing process from probably a small injury a few days prior. I also noticed on that left front paw, that his pad had been injured. It wasn't bleeding, or ripped. The skin had been torn back and was hanging down. This piece of pad skin appeared fairly thick and approximately 3/4"x3/4" and dangling.

What should I do tomorrow morning to that foot? As I said, he will go to the vet on monday.

Oh! He ate 1 cup of food and drank water when I brought him home. He's resting now in the kennel. I may make him a place in the house tomorrow for the next few days so we can bond a little and gain each others trust.

He let me put my hand in the bowl when he was eating and also ate out of my hand, he was good around my 3 year old son, and he's already met my lab and the neighbors dog.

I want to make his foot tolerable until we get to the vet.

"are you gonna keep him?" (from another thread different forum)

The current plan is to take care of him first...

...that would include caring for him like he was 8 weeks old and mine...LOL!

Not really sure yet though. If he gets a home other than mine it will probably be with and older gentleman that I know who's a great dog man. He'd treat him good and give the pup a job to do. This man has trained some pretty good dogs. Just not sure yet though.

I plan on keeping him long enough to build his trust, socialize him more as best possible, and begin training him as if he were 8 weeks old. Right now, he knows nothing but he's nice and calm. We'll work to socialize more, try to bring out some desire to chase, maybe introduce a live bird or 2, and begin pup ob as soon as he lets me know he's ready. It may go fast, it may go slow but he'll decide that. I at least want to give him some skills before I make a decision.

I'm just excited that he appears to be alright and that I've got a chance to work with another dog since it's been so long. I thought about leaving him there for a split second...yeh...for a split second. That didn't last long. I'll try and post some pics of him if I can figure out how. I can send em' e-mail, already have, but never tried it on a forum before.

My main goal is giving him some love for now. He did appear to be hand shy at first like he'd been mistreated but that could have been just because he was scared. He's adorable.

My suggestion would be doing what you are doing--keeping the paw clean and I usually give them penicillin or Kelfex..paws usually heal fast. The piece that is hanging will dry and fall off. The vet may cut it off.
    Good luck with the little bugger....
    Peg

Just a thought. Could he be lost. Could have ran away from the owner when walking and chased a rabbit or deer and hurt his leg in the process. I comend you for helping him out but if you havent tried to find the owner YOU SHOULD!JMHO best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by POACHER View Post
    Just a thought. Could he be lost. Could have ran away from the owner when walking and chased a rabbit or deer and hurt his leg in the process. I comend you for helping him out but if you havent tried to find the owner YOU SHOULD!JMHO best of luck!
    I agree. You'll feel better knowing you at least tried to find the owner. Being well fed is a good sign he was someone's pet. At least at one time.

Quote Originally Posted by POACHER View Post
    I'm very familiar with those around where I live. My uncle has a sports shop near by and I have already put the word out for people to "listen" for anyone looking for the pup. I will be looking and watching over the next couple of weeks for "lost dog" signs. I don't mind having to give him back to his rightful owner.

What I don't plan on doing is advertising having found him and letting just anyone claim him.

He was wearing no collar when I found him, so it would be easy for anyone to say he was theirs.

This dog's been abused the way he acts and he's not going to go thru that again if I have anything to do with it.

Good for you for taking him in, but please at least have him checked for a chip and report him to the local shelter or pound, whoever tracks lost dogs in your area. Someone may have lost him, had him stolen, whatever, and may have left their info with the normal official sources. Around here, we also contact the radio stations as they will announce lost or found dogs, as well as the county sheriff, surrounding counties as well. You can just say "black dog", don't have to give age or gender or even Lab, if you want some proof that callers have the right dog. Hope it all works out and he finds a good home if not, he had the right one come along at the right time to find him.

As far as dogs acting abused, I have a couple pretty pampered ones that can convince a stranger they've been beaten every day of their lives.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

Oh believe me, I'll check around. However, I tend to think a little different than some maybe.

I think anyone responsible enough to have had him chipped would have at the least had a collar on him with a phone number or something. I think most here would do that as well. I also, think people who'd chip a dog most likely wouldn't just lose him.

Perhaps he did get out or loose. I'll be listening around the archery shop. If someone lost him that'll be the first place they come to. Everyone knows to buy fishing tackle and bait plus other hunting stuff at the shop. In the mean time, this little guy needs affection. He's hand shy, and a little scared of loud noises. The way he's acting the owner will have to describe him and he's gonna have to respond to his name. He's not going to be mistreated again.

EDIT:

I didn't start this thread to have my ethics questioned (I know people were just making general concerned statements as I would, but I need some answers. I don't want to change the focus of the thread please, the little guy's limping pretty badly.). I started it asking for advise on the pups foot. I have no need for him but I'll take care of him if no one claims him.

I didn't take the above posts wrong. We all are concened for finding his owner.
    Last edited by Hoytman; 07-26-2009 at 08:51 AM.

We had the same experience 15 years ago. Here is what we did. We put an ad in the paper, called all the vets' offices, and went in person down to the humane shelter. We gave them all the info in case they had someone looking for the dog. After 2 weeks, (in which we kept the dog) we "officially" adopted him through the humane shelters service. This gave us some assurance that no one could come back later and try to claim him. Plus, they even allowed us to use their "adoption fee" that we paid for neutering when the time came.

This was the best dog I have ever known, and to think someone just cast him aside as an "inconvenience"!
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytman View Post
    I think anyone responsible enough to have had him chipped would have at the least had a collar on him with a phone number or something. I think most here would do that as well. I also, think people who'd chip a dog most likely wouldn't just lose him.
    I think it's great you're taking the little guy in, but as an FYI, I don't "collar" my dogs because they can get stuck on something and keep them from trying to come home, or hang themselves.... but all of mine are chipped... just another view point.
    Last edited by JusticeDog; 07-26-2009 at 08:53 AM.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com