The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: This makes me feel safer!

  1. #11
    Senior Member badbullgator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    somewhere between Boca Grande and Mims
    Posts
    7,055

    Default

    Good one Jeff

    NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise....Our two weapons are fear and surprise... and ruthless efficiency....Our three weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope....Our four... no...Amongst our weapons... Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surprise...
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

  2. #12
    Senior Member JDogger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    MRGV New Mexico
    Posts
    3,280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hew View Post
    OK, who all on POTUS place has had a post edited by the moderators because it was deemed racist? Raise your hands, please.

    <<looking>>


    <<looking>>


    <<looking>>


    <<only seeing one sheepishly raised hand in the back of the room...it has a hemp "Increase the Peace" bracelet hand-woven by Sedona artist Swami Lovemore, but I can't make out the owner of the hand>>

    Who's that in the tie-dye dashiki shirt with their arm raised? Oh, ok. Thanks, JDog.

    <<still looking>>

    OK. Thanks. That's what I thought.
    Wrong again. It was for providing a link with the f word in it. How that was racist escapes me. The link derided southern culture. I'll send the link and the the PM I recieved if you want.

    What are you smoking?
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

  3. #13
    Senior Member Gerry Clinchy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    6,712

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    Methinks you might be incorrect reguarding Muslims - not all but a large majority have a mission.
    Yardley
    Me thinks you don't know many or any Muslims. You are wrong.

    Personally, few things worry me more than religious fanatics/fundamentalists in positions of power. A number of countries around the world have allowed themselves to become theocracies and that is frightening to me. The fact that most of those countries are Muslim is secondary. It is more frightening to me that there are those who seem to want to establish a theocracy in this country as well. Given our greater power, that is more frightening. The issue is not the religion; it is the willingness to justify otherwise heinous acts when you believe that you are serving a "higher power." In my mind, evil is defined by what you do, not why you claim to have done it.
    I don't think that it is "secondary" that most of the countries with theocracies are Muslim. It would appear that theocracy is a primary directive of the Muslim faith, and that converting or eliminating infidels is part of that.

    While I do not believe that a majority of those adhering to Muslim faith fully believe in that directive, there is evidence that many Muslims do.

    One would have to admit that Israel is also based on a theocratic premise.

    I don't believe that the U.S. has to be theocratic just because it acknowledges roots in predominantly Christian founders. US citizenry has proven time and again that they are most willing to allow free religious expression as long as it does not interfere with the same right of others.

    Throughout history there have been religious fanatics of all faiths. You might even point to the fanaticism of atheism in the history of communism in Russia and China.

    It goes without saying that there have been countries, the US included, who have struggled through periods of religious fanaticism ... and overcame those struggles. Always, it seems, that struggles with regligious fanatacism come from lack of emphasis on a relgion's points of kindness and respect, and more emphasis on accumulating power. We have seen that emphasis on accumulating power can be evil whether coupled with religion or not.
    Last edited by Gerry Clinchy; 07-27-2009 at 08:10 AM.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

    ​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

  4. #14
    Senior Member YardleyLabs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Yardley, PA
    Posts
    6,639

    Default

    To find more contemporary examples of grotesque religious bigotry stated in a manner that encourages violence, one need look no further than Jerry Falwell, Pat Robertson, Ann Coulter ("We should invade their countries, kill their leaders and convert them to Christianity."), Franklin Graham, William Lind, Dave Hunt, Rick Santorum, etc.

  5. #15
    Senior Member YardleyLabs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Yardley, PA
    Posts
    6,639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    ...

    It goes without saying that there have been countries, the US included, who have struggled through periods of religious fanaticism ... and overcame those struggles. Always, it seems, that struggles with regligious fanatacism come from lack of emphasis on a relgion's points of kindness and respect, and more emphasis on accumulating power. We have seen that emphasis on accumulating power can be evil whether coupled with religion or not.
    I absolutely agree.

  6. #16
    Senior Member Gerry Clinchy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    6,712

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    To find more contemporary examples of grotesque religious bigotry stated in a manner that encourages violence, one need look no further than Jerry Falwell, Pat Robertson, Ann Coulter ("We should invade their countries, kill their leaders and convert them to Christianity."), Franklin Graham, William Lind, Dave Hunt, Rick Santorum, etc.
    However, I don't see any sane people jumping on that bandwagon. Nor do I see that as a primary teaching of Christianity, while it is a central theme to Islam. Even so, I don't think that the majority of Muslims focus their attention on that theme of their religion.

    Fanaticism exists. Whether a group or a nation allows themselves to succumb to it, is the test.

    Interestingly, wasn't Jesus, himself in favor of the separation of church & state? I.E. ... "Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's. Render unto God that which is God's." Or maybe that was just one of those things that Constantine advocated being included in the New Testament books, since it helped his own goals?
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

    ​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

  7. #17
    Senior Member dnf777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Western Pa
    Posts
    6,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    The appointment of devout "Catholic, Jew or Protestant" staff is not news and is not reported for that reason. I suspect you would find that many or most of Obama's appointees fall into one of those categories. The fact that two appointees are Muslim shows how rare that is.

    PERSONAL NOTE: If I am not mistaken, was it not devout Catholics who brought us the Spanish Inquisition, was it not devout Christians who brought us the genocide of millions of natives in what is now Haiti and the Dominican Republic, and was it not the Christians of Salem that brought us the Witch Trials? Blaming any religion for all the worst acts of its devotees is ridiculous, whether the devotees claim to be Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, or any other of the world's major beliefs.
    Don't forget the devout Christians who torched themselves and children at Waco, and the one who shot an OB/GYN in the head in church.

    Religious fanatasism knows no boundies.

    As long as someone is a devout, competent AMERICAN, I don't care what, if any, God they worship. And I believe the Constitution backs me up on that one.

    As for the 9-11 hijackers, they were mostly Saudi Arabian. I don't recall any outrage, invasion, or bombing of the hijackers homeland?? We briefly targeted Afghanastan, but pulled out when we needed more resources for Iraq, leaving bin Laden, Al-queda, and the taliban to regroup and restrengthen over the past 6 years. Lots of machismo talk, but no walking the walk. As a result, we have N. Korea, Iran, and still Afghanastan to deal with.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

  8. #18
    Senior Member YardleyLabs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Yardley, PA
    Posts
    6,639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    However, I don't see any sane people jumping on that bandwagon. Nor do I see that as a primary teaching of Christianity, while it is a central theme to Islam. Even so, I don't think that the majority of Muslims focus their attention on that theme of their religion.

    Fanaticism exists. Whether a group or a nation allows themselves to succumb to it, is the test.

    Interestingly, wasn't Jesus, himself in favor of the separation of church & state? I.E. ... "Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's. Render unto God that which is God's." Or maybe that was just one of those things that Constantine advocated being included in the New Testament books, since it helped his own goals?
    I don't view violence as a primary tenet of either Christianity or Islam, although proponents of both have argued for "holy" wars. The Koran actually prohibits forced conversion and allows war against "non-believers" only when those non-believers are preventing Muslims from exercising their faith. It requires that others be permitted to practice their religions and religious tolerance was long accepted as the rule in Iran (where it was undermined but not eliminated by the Islamic revolution) and Iraq (where it was undermined by the overthrow of Saddam Hussein).

    Turkey remains a secular state by Constitutional law although there, like here, religious groups are seeking to weaken that secular commitment. Indonesia commits legally to a monotheistic belief, but guarantees religious freedom in its constitution and has substantial populations of non-Muslim Christian and non-Christian practitioners. Lebanon is a mixed Christian and Muslim society where political power is carefully apportioned to preserve the influence of the different religious factions. Jordan is a Muslim country with a significant Christian population that practices openly. Saudi Arabia by contrast, is a Muslim country where practicing other religions in public can get you in a lot of trouble.

    The list goes on. The religious fanaticism of Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan, and Pakistan stand out among the Islamic world. It is interesting that in each of these countries the US participated in helping to finance and strengthen the religious fanatics that now plague us because we felt that they might help in our fights against communism.

  9. #19
    Senior Member badbullgator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    somewhere between Boca Grande and Mims
    Posts
    7,055

    Default

    So what exactly is the problem here? Is it that he appointed some muslims or is it the way it was announced?
    Jeff at least you are consistent. You always take the opposite side, right or wrong or totally off the beaten path
    Spanish inquisition regards
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

  10. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,123

    Default

    Here are links to the official announcements of both appointments in question.

    http://http://www.dhs.gov/ynews/rele...227862914.shtm

    http://http://www.dhs.gov/ynews/rele...595153301.shtm

    Nowhere in either one does it mention anything about their religion. It appears it is Atlas Shrugs, and other publications like it that singled them out as devout Muslims.

    I agree with intent of Julie's statement. It is bigotry pure and simple (Islam is not a race). However, it is not on the part of Obama and his administration. It is on the part of Atlas Shrugs and publications like them.
    Last edited by Blackstone; 07-27-2009 at 09:10 PM. Reason: spelling

Similar Threads

  1. Want to Feel Decent??
    By road kill in forum POTUS Place - For those who talk Politics in the Gallery!
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-01-2009, 07:30 PM
  2. This will make you feel better
    By John Kelder in forum RTF - Retriever Training Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-06-2009, 09:48 PM
  3. OK, now I feel really old
    By Don Smith in forum RTF - Retriever Training Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-20-2008, 03:36 PM
  4. Can anyone tell me how they feel about this breeding?
    By Chris Bourgeois in forum RTF - Retriever Training Forum
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-12-2008, 05:54 PM
  5. I feel better now!!!-GDG
    By labdoc in forum RTF - Retriever Training Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-07-2008, 12:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •