The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Disappointing race baiting

Default Disappointing race baiting

I have to admit I was disappointed that the President deflected real questions about his health care boondoggle last night and chose to respond to a totally unrelated question and play the race card.
    Rumor has it the good Harvard professor who was arrested for breaking into his own home might've been just a little tipsy and just a little belligerent (as in punches thrown) with police.
    You know, resisting arrest while spewing stuff the po po hears a million times like, "I didn't do it, that's not my chit, I live here," etc. and yes, even "this is racist, my rights are being violated." You can tune into Cops or listen to any police scanner, and hear the same kind of stuff they hear on a daily basis. And remember, the po po were responding to a call from a concerned neighbor. The good citizen who made that call is the one that should be accused of racial profiling, if in fact that's what this was. And who knows? Maybe the good professor got fractious because he had something in his house to hide?

It's a shame that race baiting has to get in the way of an officer trying to do his job--which was responding to a citizen's call about a robbery or break in. And I imagine having the U.S. President comment on the incident and call it 'racist' despite having no knowledge of what really happened, didn't help and further emboldened the good Professor to obscure the truth without fear of reprisal. I would hope that if it can be proven he's the one that acted inappropriately, he loses his job over the incident for this is not the type of person who should be teaching black history at a prominent university.

Sadly, it seems the almighty race card has trumped common sense. I see the sad outcome of this event being police not taking break-in calls seriously and being afraid to apprehend black suspects for fear the U.S. President will play the race card

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Julie R. View Post
    I have to admit I was disappointed that the President deflected real questions about his health care boondoggle last night and chose to respond to a totally unrelated question and play the race card.
    Rumor has it the good Harvard professor who was arrested for breaking into his own home might've been just a little tipsy and just a little belligerent (as in punches thrown) with police.
    You know, resisting arrest while spewing stuff the po po hears a million times like, "I didn't do it, that's not my chit, I live here," etc. and yes, even "this is racist, my rights are being violated." You can tune into Cops or listen to any police scanner, and hear the same kind of stuff they hear on a daily basis. And remember, the po po were responding to a call from a concerned neighbor. The good citizen who made that call is the one that should be accused of racial profiling, if in fact that's what this was. And who knows? Maybe the good professor got fractious because he had something in his house to hide?

It's a shame that race baiting has to get in the way of an officer trying to do his job--which was responding to a citizen's call about a robbery or break in. And I imagine having the U.S. President comment on the incident and call it 'racist' despite having no knowledge of what really happened, didn't help and further emboldened the good Professor to obscure the truth without fear of reprisal. I would hope that if it can be proven he's the one that acted inappropriately, he loses his job over the incident for this is not the type of person who should be teaching black history at a prominent university.

Sadly, it seems the almighty race card has trumped common sense. I see the sad outcome of this event being police not taking break-in calls seriously and being afraid to apprehend black suspects for fear the U.S. President will play the race card.
    Couldn't tell ya, I did not listen to Obama last night.

Sadly, it seems the almighty race card has trumped common sense. I see the sad outcome of this event being police not taking break-in calls seriously and being afraid to apprehend black suspects for fear the U.S. President will play the race card
    There are lots of ways for things to be handled. Many, many years ago, my then wife and I had just returned from a trip. I heard a loud banging at the front door and found a large black man in dirty clothes with a gun demanding to be let in. He showed me his badge and said that they had received a call that there was a problem in my house. I identified myself and he provided more detail about the call they received which included allegations that my wife and I had been tied up as part of a home invasion. He apologized for his own appearance indicating that he was on an undercover decoy detail but was the closest to my house when the call came in. He asked very politely if they (by then two other officers had arrived at the front door and another two at the back) could look around to be sure that there was no problem. My wife came out with our young daughter. The police apologized for disturbing us and asked if we would like them to check around the property. We said that was not necessary and they left very politely. We did not invite them into our house and they did not attempt to enter.

This situation could easily have ended up very differently. Had the officer been anything other than very polite, I might well have reacted in a way that would have escalated the situation. Had the officer suspected me in any way, my door probably would have been broken down and I would have been flat on my face. In the case of Professor Gates, once his identity was established, I would hope that the police would have been exceptionally polite and that they would disengage as soon as possible. Whether or not Gates had "something to hide" is actually irrelevant. It's his house and he has the right not to be invaded by the police or anyone else in the absence of a warrant or probable cause.

I have to admit that raised the hackles on the back of my neck. Until he/we know for sure what happened, how can you call the police "stupid" as O did last night? Once this all plays out, as Roger suggested, there will be more to it and O may have a large amount of egg on his face.
    Greg W.

Brooks Black Gold At Briarwood JH (Louie)
    Brandywine's Belle on Wheels JH (Belle)
    Serengetti Sadie O'Brandywine SH -MH passes (Sadie)
    CH Brandywine's Westdale Duggan MH (Duggan)
    CH Alpenglo's Jasmine O'Brooks JH CD (Jasmine)
    Brandywine's Flagship SH (Brandy)

Jeff....agree 100 percent with this
    This situation could easily have ended up very differently. Had the officer been anything other than very polite, I might well have reacted in a way that would have escalated the situation. Had the officer suspected me in any way, my door probably would have been broken down and I would have been flat on my face. In the case of Professor Gates, once his identity was established, I would hope that the police would have been exceptionally polite and that they would disengage as soon as possible. Whether or not Gates had "something to hide" is actually irrelevant. It's his house and he has the right not to be invaded by the police or anyone else in the absence of a warrant or probable cause.
    We don't know that he wasn't released immediately after he calmed down; he apparently was quite belligerant. So let's just suppose that he really was a robber or murderer breaking in a house and he said the same things to the police: Obscenity-laden denials and outrage and they let him go and he continued on his merry way and killed someone? Remember how often the cops hear vehement denials that the suspect hasn't done anything, never saw that crack pipe, that stolen stuff was his brother in law's; the basement window he smashed was his cousin's, etc. Should they let the perp go every time this happens? Which do you think is more common, nabbing an innocent person as happened with the good professor, or cuffing a thug who shrieks he's innocent, din do nuffin and the cops are racist?

It's a shame that he was black because if not, this would be the biggest non issue in Mass. (although I guess a white man could also claim his snivel rights had been violated after he'd clearly been in the wrong). Only a moron or a drunk would fight and argue with the police if he isn't guilty. Believe me, policemen are cognizant of having to treat black suspects carefully, they would not have cuffed him if he didn't deserve it. And I agree a man shouldn't need to worry about what's inside his house if he's not breaking any laws, so why give the po po probable cause if you arent' guilty? If you get pulled over for a tail light that's out and you have a bunch of drugs in your car, you probably know better than to start mouthing off at the officer, right?

And if you are the Pres. of the U.S., you should STFU on national TV about a case you know nothing about and stick to the topic at hand!
    Last edited by Julie R.; 07-23-2009 at 01:11 PM.

In this case, it was my understanding (possibly incorrect) that his identity and residence was confirmed almost immediately by photo ID.

I heard almost immediately too, as in 3 or 4 minutes of scuffling, punching and wrestling and that as soon as the good professor stopped fighting long enough to pull out his wallet, his identity was confirmed and he was released. What are the police supposed to do, give every perp time to draw a gun or a knife? Let each perp reach in their pocket before being cuffed or apprehended?

Apparently 'almost immediately' is a lifetime if it's racism though.

One can only hope there was some police video of the event including the time frame. If nothing else I'd love to see it on Cops.

Quote Originally Posted by brandywinelabs View Post
    I have to admit that raised the hackles on the back of my neck. Until he/we know for sure what happened, how can you call the police "stupid" as O did last night? Once this all plays out, as Roger suggested, there will be more to it and O may have a large amount of egg on his face.
    It upset me too....and to hear his lapdog press laughing when he talked about it turned my stomach.
    Page

"Take pride in how far you have come, and have faith in how far you can go!" ~Christian Larson

I heard almost immediately too, as in 3 or 4 minutes of scuffling, punching and wrestling and that as soon as the good professor stopped fighting long enough to pull out his wallet, his identity was confirmed and he was released. What are the police supposed to do, give every perp time to draw a gun or a knife? Let each perp reach in their pocket before being cuffed or apprehended?

Apparently 'almost immediately' is a lifetime if it's racism though.

One can only hope there was some police video of the event including the time frame. If nothing else I'd love to see it on Cops.
    By immediately after "his identity was confirmed" I assume you mean after they cuffed him and took him to the station where he was held for several hours. I find it hard to understand why they would go forward with an arrest after his identify was established which apparently happened in his house. With respect to Obama's comments, I felt they were injudicious, but not unbalanced. He stated that he knows Gates and considers him a friend. He said that he had no knowledge of the events beyond what was reported by the press but that, based on those reports it seemed the Cambridge PD had acted stupidly in arresting Gates and taking him into custody after his identity was established. He should have refused comment on the specifics given his lack of direct knowledge. His comments on racism generally seemed to be completely appropriate.

Discussion I heard mentioned the possibility of a rented residence, and that the ID possibly had an address that did not agree with the address of the home in question.

Really, without the true facts of the event, I don't think it was appropriate to comment. It would also seem that his educational level should be able to provide a better word than "stupid" for the police actions. Would he have used the word "stupid" if the police officers had been African-American themselves? Or would he have noted that the police's actions were "unfounded" or "ill-advised" or even "grossly inappropriate to the situation" ?
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.