The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puppy ADD???

Default Puppy ADD???

My 12 wk pup is becoming just a little bit to wild I think, he seems to have trouble concentrating on fetching for example. I will throw a bumper after getting him exited and then point at it with my arm, and he will bite at my arm... or turn quickly and grab the whistlr from my mouth. I tried using treats to create a better incentive for focusing but now when he focuses on the treats, when he sits before a retrieve he gives me a look like "Wheres the treat moron!?". It seems like anything distracts him sometimes, a dog barking in the background or a noisy car, anything!!! he really likes fetching but I have to use a very ditraction free environment like a dock or hallway much of the time.

He is also getting really rough with the playing too, I have NEVER condoned biting or jumping, but he bites hard and jumps on me whenever I try to play with him or just pet him (unless he is coming out of the pen)... He is hardly detered by a finger down the throat or a light cuff on the snout it just seems to intensify the game!!! (He gets a ton of exercise usually 2 one mile long walks through farm fields, 2 retrieving sessions, and 2 chances at swimming/water romping/ retrieving, plus when he is in the house in the evenings he is usually harassing the other dog, or viciously assailing a toy!) Is this just a puppy being a puppy or go I need to somehow crack the whip better?

PS (He did lap up a small amount of mountain dew the other day...)
    Last edited by Fowlfeller1100; 07-28-2009 at 01:31 PM.

I think that is a puppy being a normal puppy.

BOB

Melanie Foster

Stop using your arm to point to the bumper. Take the whistle way. Stop using treats.

If he will work in a hallway or distraction free environment, then work him in one of those. Pretty simple.

Regarding the jumping up and all, Bill Hillman says something in his DVD that is worth noting. When he had his first dog, the dog would want to heel on the right instead of on the left. He didn't know what to do about it so finally called the breeder for advice. The breeder asked how much the pup weighed. Bill said 15 pounds. The breeder said "pick him up and put him on your left side."

The point is, there is no reason to let a puppy boss you around. Give him a knee in the chest if he jumps up on you. Jam your whole hand in his mouth if he keeps nipping at you and see if he still finds your hand appealing.

There is no excuse for not being in control of this puppy. If he is too high, train/treat him with slow motions/movements.

I think Melanie said it pretty well.

I would add keep the retrieves short and limit the number of retrieves to no more than 2-3 per session. One way they lose focus is by getting bored. They also have some trouble following objects that move to fast or at a distance, so shortening the retrieves should help with that IMO.

Using treats to teach a puppy and to help establish a good training attitude is a proven method. Having said that, don't use treats with retrieving skills, just with obedience.

Your puppy sounds like he is just being a puppy.
    ---------------------------------------------
    HRCH "Boomer" MH
    UH HR "Hunter" SH (RIP)

"When you go to a test or a trial, your dog should be underwhelmed." ~ Evan Graham

"It is unreasonable to expect a dog to be more precise than you are." ~ Rex Carr

"You own what you condone." ~ Mike Lardy

Dude hes 12wks old! give him a minute to grow up!
    jim

Our pup was the same way. We thought she was crazy! She is now 4 1/2 months old and this week the light has come on. She is behaving (95%) as a little lady in the house. She can still have her moments but she has come a long way. I was told that this may just be a lull in the storm and more will come to pass but we will survive! Patience, patience, and more patience.

Linas

You're puppy is just being a puppy. In fact it sounds like it has a lot of spirit. Not only that but don't expect all puppies to mature at exactly the same rate. If you read a book or watch a DVD and compare your pup to what is being presented as what should be you risk going crazy trying to figure out what is wrong with your pup.

Quote Originally Posted by Fowlfeller1100 View Post
    My 12 wk pup is becoming just a little bit to wild I think, he seems to have trouble concentrating on fetching for example. I will throw a bumper after getting him exited and then point at it with my arm, and he will bite at my arm... or turn quickly and grab the whistlr from my mouth. I tried using treats to create a better incentive for focusing but now when he focuses on the treats, when he sits before a retrieve he gives me a look like "Wheres the treat moron!?". It seems like anything distracts him sometimes, a dog barking in the background or a noisy car, anything!!! he really likes fetching but I have to use a very ditraction free environment like a dock or hallway much of the time.

He is also getting really rough with the playing too, I have NEVER condoned biting or jumping, but he bites hard and jumps on me whenever I try to play with him or just pet him (unless he is coming out of the pen)... He is hardly detered by a finger down the throat or a light cuff on the snout it just seems to intensify the game!!! (He gets a ton of exercise usually 2 one mile long walks through farm fields, 2 retrieving sessions, and 2 chances at swimming/water romping/ retrieving, plus when he is in the house in the evenings he is usually harassing the other dog, or viciously assailing a toy!) Is this just a puppy being a puppy or go I need to somehow crack the whip better?

He sounds like an awesome pup to me!!

I would probably lay off the Dew though!!

Good luck with him!!

stan b
    Stan b & Elvis

I always start my pups retrieving in a narrow, confined area like a hallway. I use a small item like a tennis ball or an old tube sock tied into a big knot. I squat or sit on the floor with the pup, and get it excited about “toy”. Then, I toss it a short distance down the hall. When the pup runs out and grabs it, I praise it and call it back to me. When the pup returns, I make a big fuss over it. I usually don’t take the item from the pup right away. I wait until the pup is ready to give it up. I usually only do 4 – 5 retrieves, and try to keep it fun. I always leave them wanting more.

If the pup is biting hard, playing rough, and jumping up, you may need to get a little firmer with it to let him know it is not acceptable. When he gets started with unacceptable behavior, I would grab him by the scruff of the neck, give him a good little shake, and give him a firm NO! They usually catch on pretty quick to what they can, and cannot, get away with. The main thing is to be consistent with your corrections.

I would probably try to keep the pup away from the Dew, but I have to admit, I have a 9 month old pup that will drink my wife’s coffee every chance he gets.

Quote Originally Posted by Fowlfeller1100 View Post
    Mountain Dew and powdered donuts cause breakfast is the most important meal of the day.