The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: H3N8 equine influenza virus

Default H3N8 equine influenza virus

Has anyone had problems in their area with the Dog Flu. I just got contacted from a club member that has his dog in a Kennel 40 miles south of me and his kennel has affected dogs. He has 4 or 5 that are really sick and they are not sure if a couple are going to make it or not. I also heard another kennel here in TN has a kennel full of sick dogs. Just wondering if I should get my Vet to order some vaccines. Here is a link to one of the web sites about the flu.

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/canine/

Kim
    It blew through here, in fact our greyhoud track was one of the outbreaks that started the whole thing, back in 2005. Most of the dogs I know, including my own, got it and got over it very quickly. I am not sure I would bother with a vaccine
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Quote Originally Posted by kimsmith View Post
    Has anyone had problems in their area with the Dog Flu. I just got contacted from a club member that has his dog in a Kennel 40 miles south of me and his kennel has affected dogs. He has 4 or 5 that are really sick and they are not sure if a couple are going to make it or not. I also heard another kennel here in TN has a kennel full of sick dogs. Just wondering if I should get my Vet to order some vaccines. Here is a link to one of the web sites about the flu.

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/canine/
    The vaccine came out a month ago. I think it is only available to veterinarians. I spoke to a vet about it today and he has been in contact with other vets and there has not been a problem. It is not supposed to have that high of a fatality rate as these cases (4%?) I would not panic yet until it is definately confirmed and is spreading.
    Nancy P

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

So is this more hype than anything else. Is the few dogs that are dying from this already compromised with something else? This is first time I've heard of this flu and it's close by, so I didn't want to take chances.

From what I have read yes, few healthy dogs are really sickened by it. Like I said all mine and everyone else I know had it a few years back when it started and none had a problem with it. Greyhounds do not seem to have the bes timmune system in the world. If you have any old or sick/unhealthy dogs you might want to look into it.
    This is just my opinion and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn last night
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

this should be # 5

oh oh here we go again.. we all going to die !!!
    1 anthrax (9/11)
    2 west nile virus
    3 swine flu (old)
    4 avain flu
    5 mad cow disease
    6 canine flu
    7 H1N1
    8 equine encephalitis

Regards
    BobbyB
    cajun