The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Having read most ...

Quote Originally Posted by K G View Post
    dnf, there is a HUGE difference between "secession" and "succession." Maybe Franco is more concerned about who's coming next as opposed to states withdrawing from the Union.....

kg
    Well, I've never let poor spelling get in the way of a good idea.

The 10th Amendment...will be a big topic in the months to come.

http://www.reason.com/blog/show/135033.html
    The Libertarian Party believes that all persons are entitled to keep the fruits of their labor. A call for the repeal of the income tax, abolishment of the Internal Revenue Service and all federal programs and services not required under the U.S. Constitution. We support the passage of a "Balanced Budget Amendment" to the U.S. Constitution, provided that the budget is balanced exclusively by cutting expenditures, and not by raising taxes. LP.org

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Well, I've never let poor spelling get in the way of a good idea.

The 10th Amendment...will be a big topic in the months to come.

http://www.reason.com/blog/show/135033.html
    Tenth Amendment: "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

Court interpretation: This is a truism neither adding nor subtracting anything of substance to the Constitution as adopted. It has only been applied in a small number of cases and then only to restrict the Federal government from explicitly mandating specific behavior on state governments rather than tying such requirements to eligibility for Federal funds as is normally the case (a linkage that has been upheld consistently). It is hard to imagine an industry more clearly linked to interstate commerce than health care, Rick Perry notwithstanding. BTW, in H.R. 3200 (the House Bill for health reform), all mandates affecting states are linked to receipt of Federal funds. States may avoid those mandates by foregoing all Federal funds.

Perhaps the Governor of Texas should make himself a tad more familiar with how the 10th Amendment has been interpreted by the SCOTUS....

Federal Taxing Power .--Not until after the Civil War was the idea that the reserved powers of the States comprise an independent qualification of otherwise constitutional acts of the Federal Government actually applied to nullify, in part, an act of Congress. This result was first reached in a tax case--Collector v. Day. 9 Holding that a national income tax, in itself valid, could not be constitutionally levied upon the official salaries of state officers, Justice Nelson made the sweeping statement that ''the States within the limits of their powers not granted, or, in the language of the Tenth Amendment, 'reserved,' are as independent of the general government as that government within its sphere is independent of the States.'' 10 In 1939, Collector v. Day was expressly overruled. 11 Nevertheless, the problem of reconciling state and national interest still confronts the Court occasionally, and was elaborately considered in New York v. United States, 12 where, by a vote of six-to-two, the Court upheld the right of the United States to tax the sale of mineral waters taken from property owned by a State. Speaking for four members of the Court, Chief Justice Stone justified the tax on the ground that ''[t]he national taxing power would be unduly curtailed if the State, by extending its activities, could withdraw from it subjects of taxation traditionally within it.'' 13 Justices Frankfurter and Rutledge found in the Tenth Amendment ''no restriction upon Congress to include the States in levying a tax exacted equally from private persons upon the same subject matter.'' 14 Justices Douglas and Black dissented, saying: ''If the power of the federal government to tax the States is conceded, the reserved power of the States guaranteed by the Tenth Amendment does not give them the independence which they have always been assumed to have.'' 15
    Granted, the dissenting argument asserts the assumption of state's rights, but that argument lost by a vote of 6-2.

Maybe I'm reading this decision wrong, but I'd bet secession is not going to become the panacea that some think it will.

kg
    I keep my PM box full. Use email to contact me: rockytopkg@aol.com.

Quote Originally Posted by K G View Post
    dnf, there is a HUGE difference between "secession" and "succession." Maybe Franco is more concerned about who's coming next as opposed to states withdrawing from the Union.....

kg
    Exactly. That's why I put the incorrect spelling in brackets, to acknowledge it was misspelled. In no way am I trying to police grammar and spelling, I'd be out in the street if that were the case.

And Franco, don't forget that is was Jefferson, who negotiated and purchased on behalf of the United States the Louisiana Purchase from France, without consent or approval from Congress...in WHOPPING violation of the powers granted him by the Constitution. Not that it has any bearing on today's topic, but it is ironic, don't you think?
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post

Not that it has any bearing on today's topic, but it is ironic, don't you think?
    Yes, ironic and though Napoleon needed the dough to fight the Brits and Prussians, all I can tell you is that French speaking Louisiana is much better off than English speaking Louisiana.

I saw the latest unemployment figues last week for Acadiana and we are still below 3%, which is considered Full-Employment. This is the first market I've worked in where advertisers don't run Help Wanted advertising, no one to hire! However, when the current goobs get thier Cap N Trade going, I'm sure we will be around 20% unemployed.
    Last edited by Franco; 07-31-2009 at 01:39 PM.
    The Libertarian Party believes that all persons are entitled to keep the fruits of their labor. A call for the repeal of the income tax, abolishment of the Internal Revenue Service and all federal programs and services not required under the U.S. Constitution. We support the passage of a "Balanced Budget Amendment" to the U.S. Constitution, provided that the budget is balanced exclusively by cutting expenditures, and not by raising taxes. LP.org

Yes, ironic and though Napoleon needed the dough to fight the Brits and Prussians, all I can tell you is that French speaking Louisiana is much better off than English speaking Louisiana.

I saw the latest unemployment figues last week for Acadiana and we are still below 3%, which is considered Full-Employment. This is the first market I've worked in where advertisers don't run Help Wanted advertising, no one to hire! However, when the current goobs get thier Cap N Trade going, I'm sure we will be around 20% unemployed.
    Are you down on the Delta? I was in NOLA for a year, and DeRidder for two, and never had the time off to make it to Norco.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Exactly. That's why I put the incorrect spelling in brackets, to acknowledge it was misspelled. In no way am I trying to police grammar and spelling, I'd be out in the street if that were the case.
    Nor was I. Since both words were spelled correctly where used, I was simply trying to understand the intent. I had a hunch, but then again I know what "assumption" is the mother of....

kg
    I keep my PM box full. Use email to contact me: rockytopkg@aol.com.

I just saw an interesting interview of Bobby Jindal. After bragging about how Louisiana is outperforming the rest of the country in job growth, etc...it was pointed out to him that after being one of the govs that was going to refuse the stimulus money, he took it, and used it to generate many of the jobs he's bragging about. There was an akward pause, then he pointed out that he did indeed refuse $100,000,000, and went on bragging. It was then pointed out that La accepted $3 billion (minus 100 million) for a net stimulus amount accepted of $ 2 billion, 900 million. (I know, "gotchya journalism")

BTW, I haven't seen "Bobby Jindal" on a birth certificate??!! Were both his parents born in America?? Do you have to be an American citizen to be governor of Louisiana?

Are you down on the Delta? I was in NOLA for a year, and DeRidder for two, and never had the time off to make it to Norco.
    I was born and raised in New Orleans. Hunted the real Mississippi delta below the city whcih still has some great waterfowling. Norco is where the New Orleans club host its trials. Deridder is near Ft Polk, not familiar with the west central part of the state. Since Katrina I've been livivng in the heart of Cajunland, Lafayette.

Gov Jindal, a huge improvement over Blanco but I don't think he could win an election for Presidnet. That's because his personality is more geek than charismatic. He did an awesome job running the state's medical system for Gov Foster. Because of his IQ, he was known as a boy genius around Baton Rouge. His parents converted to Espiscapol when they arrived here from India. I think it is cool that he has Hindu origins as I really like both the Hindu and Budhist religions. I think he would make a great VP and the man is very bright, simplifying the most challenging of problems. He was a pre-med student and was accepted by Tulane as a 15 year old! Not sure how or why he wound up in politics.

I'll add that I think he would make a great head for the Dept Of Education. Two of his very young children can perform at college level in Calculus, the third is too young.

more on B Jindal

Jindal was born in Baton Rouge on June 10, 1971. He graduated from Baton Rouge High School in 1988 and went on to attend Brown University where he graduated with honors in biology and public policy. Following his graduation from Brown he attended Oxford University in England as a Rhodes Scholar, having turned down admissions to medical and law schools at both Harvard and Yale.
    In 1994, Jindal went to work for McKinsey and Company as a consultant for Fortune 500 companies before entering public service. In 1996, he was appointed Secretary of the Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals (DHH). There were many issues that needed resolving during his tenure, not the least of which was the growing deficit in Louisiana's Medicaid program. During Jindal's tenure as DHH Secretary, he rescued Louisiana's Medicaid program from bankruptcy, childhood immunizations increased, Louisiana ranked third best nationally in health care screenings for children, and new and expanded services for elderly and disabled persons were offered.
    In 1998, Jindal was appointed Executive Director of the National Bipartisan Commission on the Future of Medicare. As Executive Director, he was responsible for the day-to-day operations of the Commission, whose work continue to be the driving force behind much of the ongoing debate on how to strengthen and improve Medicare.
    At the conclusion of the Commission's work, Jindal was appointed President of the University of Louisiana System, the 16th largest higher education system in the country. While serving as President, Jindal worked to establish areas of excellence at each individual institution.
    President George W. Bush appointed Jindal to serve as Assistant Secretary for the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services in 2001. In that position, he served as the principal policy advisor to the Secretary of Health and Human Services. He later resigned from the position in 2003 to return to Louisiana and run for elected office for the first time. In that race, Jindal went from being a relatively unknown candidate for Governor, to receiving the most votes in the primary election and eventually 48 percent of the vote in runoff.
    In 2004 he was elected to the 109th United States Congress representing the First District of Louisiana. In Congress he was elected Freshman Class President and served on the House Committee on Education and the Workforce, the House Committee on Homeland Security, and the House Committee on Resources. Bobby also served as Assistant Majority Whip. In his first term he passed a number of notable pieces of legislation and played an instrumental role in Louisiana's recovery from Hurricanes Katrina and Rita. His noteworthy accomplishments include the passage of legislation to bring significant offshore energy revenues to Louisiana for the first time and legislation that keeps Federal Emergency Management Agency from taxing certain recovery grants as income.
    Jindal was re-elected to Congress in 2006 with 88 percent of the vote majority.
    Jindal and his wife Supriya have three young children.
    Last edited by Franco; 07-31-2009 at 06:45 PM.

I was born and raised in New Orleans. Hunted the real Mississippi delta below the city whcih still has some great waterfowling. Norco is where the New Orleans club host its trials. Deridder is near Ft Polk, not familiar with the west central part of the state. Since Katrina I've been livivng in the heart of Cajunland, Lafayette.

Gov Jindal, a huge improvement over Blanco but I don't think he could win an election for Presidnet. He did an awesome job running the state's medical system for Gov Foster. Because of his IQ, he was known as a boy genius around Baton Rouge. His parents converted to Espiscapol when they arrived here from India. I think it is cool that he has Hindu origins as I really like both the Hindu and Budhist religions. I think he would make a great VP and the man is very bright, simplifying the most challenging of problems. He was a pre-med student and was accepted by Tulane as a 15 year old! Not sure how or why he wound up in politics.

I'll add that I think he would make a great head for the Dept Of Education. Two of his very young children can perform at college level in Calculus, the third is too young.

more on B Jindal

Jindal was born in Baton Rouge on June 10, 1971. He graduated from Baton Rouge High School in 1988 and went on to attend Brown University where he graduated with honors in biology and public policy. Following his graduation from Brown he attended Oxford University in England as a Rhodes Scholar, having turned down admissions to medical and law schools at both Harvard and Yale.
    In 1994, Jindal went to work for McKinsey and Company as a consultant for Fortune 500 companies before entering public service. In 1996, he was appointed Secretary of the Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals (DHH). There were many issues that needed resolving during his tenure, not the least of which was the growing deficit in Louisiana's Medicaid program. During Jindal's tenure as DHH Secretary, he rescued Louisiana's Medicaid program from bankruptcy, childhood immunizations increased, Louisiana ranked third best nationally in health care screenings for children, and new and expanded services for elderly and disabled persons were offered.
    In 1998, Jindal was appointed Executive Director of the National Bipartisan Commission on the Future of Medicare. As Executive Director, he was responsible for the day-to-day operations of the Commission, whose work continue to be the driving force behind much of the ongoing debate on how to strengthen and improve Medicare.
    At the conclusion of the Commission's work, Jindal was appointed President of the University of Louisiana System, the 16th largest higher education system in the country. While serving as President, Jindal worked to establish areas of excellence at each individual institution.
    President George W. Bush appointed Jindal to serve as Assistant Secretary for the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services in 2001. In that position, he served as the principal policy advisor to the Secretary of Health and Human Services. He later resigned from the position in 2003 to return to Louisiana and run for elected office for the first time. In that race, Jindal went from being a relatively unknown candidate for Governor, to receiving the most votes in the primary election and eventually 48 percent of the vote in runoff.
    In 2004 he was elected to the 109th United States Congress representing the First District of Louisiana. In Congress he was elected Freshman Class President and served on the House Committee on Education and the Workforce, the House Committee on Homeland Security, and the House Committee on Resources. Bobby also served as Assistant Majority Whip. In his first term he passed a number of notable pieces of legislation and played an instrumental role in Louisiana's recovery from Hurricanes Katrina and Rita. His noteworthy accomplishments include the passage of legislation to bring significant offshore energy revenues to Louisiana for the first time and legislation that keeps Federal Emergency Management Agency from taxing certain recovery grants as income.
    Jindal was re-elected to Congress in 2006 with 88 percent of the vote majority.
    Jindal and his wife Supriya have three young children.
    He seems like a good guy. Not very polished, but not many "geniuses" are.
    I just fear the treatment he will recieve from the people who name-call Obama, question his patriotism, let alone his citizenship status. I heard a woman from Ca stating emphatically that Obama is ineligible to be pres because his Dad was not born in this country??? Jindal may not have a chance.