The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dog's suddenly afraid of food dish...

Default Dog's suddenly afraid of food dish...

Starting around Friday, my dog has been getting increasingly reluctant to eat out of his dish. It started as just hesitation at the moment I told him he could take it, but now it's progressed to the point that he won't even begin to eat. Now he backs away with his head low, staring at the bowl as if he's scared of it. If I slide the bowl toward him, he really backs up and cowers.

He doesn't do this with his identical looking water dish, and he WANTS to eat. To prove this, I put some of the food on the floor and he ate it so fast he nearly put a hole in the linoleum.

It's something about the bowl, but I can't figure it out...

Any ideas on what the problem is or how to fix it?

For some background, it has been a unusual week for him, with a couple trips to strange places, including an all-day stay with my grandparents while I attended a funeral.

Also, I can't help but notice that this behavior stated right about the time I started FF training with him. Any possible connection there?

Thanks

I dont know,,,maby while she was away and on vacation somebody thumped him with a food dish or maby there was a wasp inside and when he ate out of it ,it stung him,,, One of my pups recently developed not eating out of her food bowl. She always spills it and eats around it. But it takes her 25 minutes of slow nibbling before she is finished. And if there are a few kibbles left in the bowl ,,she will tip it in stead of just lapping up the few remaining kibbles.

Maby the reflextion in the bowl freaks him out if its a metal bowl.

Change the bowl and make it non reflective see what happens. Cowwering at the bowl sounds like something happened or he is developing ghosts in his head.

Pete
    Last edited by Pete; 07-30-2009 at 08:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Obabikon View Post
    It started as just hesitation at the moment I told him he could take it, but now it's progressed to the point that he won't even begin to eat. Now he backs away with his head low, staring at the bowl as if he's scared of it. If I slide the bowl toward him, he really backs up and cowers......
    Also, I can't help but notice that this behavior stated right about the time I started FF training with him. Any possible connection there?

Thanks

Are you one of “Those” people who do obsessive obedience type of crap with your dogs and it’s food? Giving and taking and giving back and having them sit, lay down or stand on their head before allowing them to eat? If you are, I feel this causes more issues than you can shake a heeling stick at. Plop down the supper dish ether in the privacy of their crate or like I do on the kitchen floor, each dog has a corner. And let them enjoy there well earned meal. If your not one of “Those” people, sorry but one of the little things that really piss me off is those folk who feel compelled to flock with their dogs food. How about those grandparents? Could they have smacked the dog around with the dish?

In the short term, nothing wrong with a dog eating off the floor for a bit, if the dog is having a happy mealtime and making a clean spot on the linoleum, well that’s a tofer.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

No, I'm not one of "those" people.....at least I don't think I am

Yes, I've always had the dog sit when I scoop out some food for him and set the bowl on the floor, but only for as long as the few second it takes me to do so, and only because I don't want to get tackled in the process. It's not like I'm making him do tricks or something....

As for my grandparents, I suppose they might have accidentally done something that freaked him out, but as we talked the evening I picked him up I remember my grandma saying how quickly he wolfed down his food that day.

What seems to set him off most is the metallic sound of the bowl sliding on the floor. Don't know what to make of that....

Until now, he hasn't been afraid of ANYTHING....loud trucks, vacuum cleaners, thunder, gunshots, strangers, etc.

I've always had the dog sit when I scoop out some food for him and set the bowl on the floor, but only for as long as the few second it takes me to do so, and only because I don't want to get tackled in the process. It's not like I'm making him do tricks or something.....
    thats cool
    clean the bowl very well, fill with fresh poped corn, sit on floor in TV room and snack, you and the dog.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Just to see if it's that type of bowl, try an old tuperware bowl and see what happens. I'd say something has happened to him that he relates to the bowl. IMO.

Hows this for a guess??

Is there by chance a static electricity charge building up on a metal bowl??

The water wouldnt because of obvious reasons.

But dry food could possibly!!

Just a silly guess from Gooser

Gooser
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

A my grandpa would say, put the food in the bowl within three days I bet he eats.
    Some people dream of success, while others wake up and work hard for it.

"Five in the hole is better then 250 circling overhead." - Jase Robertson

Thanks for all the theories and suggestions, everyone. I'll try them out and get him eating out of the bowl again soon.

Are you having a force fetch session right after he eats? Maybe he's associating the bowl and eating with what comes next, so he's avoiding the eating in hopes of getting out of the FF session.

Maybe thinking too deep? Maybe not...