The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cash for Clunkers

Quote Originally Posted by Hew View Post
    I was and am definately not in favor of Cash for Clunkers. That said, it has probably done more to stimulate the economy than all the programs in the Porkulus package combined...and the effects of it were immediate and widespread. If they were smart they'd pull money out of the Porkulus program and use it to satisfy the Cash for Clunkers demand. And since they're dead set on mortgaging our future to buy our way out of recession now then they oughta convert more of the Porkulus package into similar Cash for... programs. Cash for Old Boats. Cash for Old Decoys. Cash for Washed up Retrievers. Cash for Dysplastic Dogs. etc.
    I just heard on the radio a Ford spokesman saying how successful the program has been. Ran out of money already, and dealers have customers on waiting lists ready to buy when (if) more funding becomes available.

I remember hearing people complain when the gov't gave GM $24 billion, and some to the other automakers. The argument I heard was that it would be better to give the money to the PEOPLE, and let them use it to buy cars, instead of just hand it over to the big 3. Well, that's essentially what CFC has done, with the added stipulation that we get energy inefficient cars off the roads in turn for efficient ones. The same people are now complaining again?! Some people you just can't please no matter what.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    I just heard on the radio a Ford spokesman saying how successful the program has been. Ran out of money already, and dealers have customers on waiting lists ready to buy when (if) more funding becomes available.

I remember hearing people complain when the gov't gave GM $24 billion, and some to the other automakers. The argument I heard was that it would be better to give the money to the PEOPLE, and let them use it to buy cars, instead of just hand it over to the big 3. Well, that's essentially what CFC has done, with the added stipulation that we get energy inefficient cars off the roads in turn for efficient ones. The same people are now complaining again?! Some people you just can't please no matter what.
    My complaint is about the management of the program.

BTW---Who is paying for this??
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post

For my part, I'm "thrilled" to be helping to loan $3 billion so folks can buy a new car......

"Giddy" regards,

kg
    I keep my PM box full. Use email to contact me: rockytopkg@aol.com.

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post

We the taxpayers are paying for it. I'd rather keep my money, but if the gov't is going to spend it, I'd rather help a family into a new Ford or Chevy, than building bridges in Iraq or putting defense contractors into Bentleys.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

The Chinese are paying for this. We're broke.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    BAM!!!

stan b
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    If that's true, then we're accruing more debt, that in my mind, will need to be payed by us someday. Again, I'd rather help my fellow Americans than Iraqi politicians!

Actually, it would be money we are borrowing from foreign countries that we will eventually default on.

However, for this expense they'll probably just print a BILLION plus.

The real clunkers are being driven by those that can't take advantage of the $3,500-$4,500 Gov assistance and $4,000 factory rebates because they have bad credit.

Will the current goobs now provide them with financing too?
    “The end of democracy and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.” –Thomas Jefferson

The Keynesian approach to economics...government spending money it doesn't have!!

He's such a witch doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by badbullgator View Post
    I think that mostly the car dealers are the ones benefiting form the whole thing. They are selling cars, but you know good and well that probably half of the money is being stolen by the dealers on the trade in. Car dealers tend to be a honest bunch you know.
    The dealer can't steal the trade on this deal. First, most of the vehicles being turned in aren't worth $4500. All of that goes to the customer, and is put toward a new vehicle. Plus the dealer doesn't get to keep the traded in vehicle. The engine has to be disabled, and the vehicle has to be scrapped.

One interesting thing I heard from 3 different dealers was that several of the customer that came in had vehicles that did not qualify for the program. When they found out, they decided to buy a new car anyway. I guess they were bitten by the new car bug, and had to have one.